Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ocean Sailing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2017 :  19:56:01  Show Profile
Another inlet to add to your list is Barnegat inlet , Ive never been through it but heard it can be rough

Frank Law
former c-25 sailor
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2017 :  10:16:31  Show Profile
Yes, Barnegat has a reputation. You can see some interesting YouTube videos of people coming in and out, definitely some under the "not so great" conditions discussed here! But in larger and more formidable boats as well.
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2017 :  18:08:22  Show Profile
I don't see the age of your boat, but our 1980 SK had the standing rigging replaced 10 years ago, and I replace the keel lift cable every 2 years, did the winch last year too. ONE THING - CHECK THE CHAIN PLATE EYE BOLTS...one afternoon we were underway, 25 deg and 6kts when we crossed the wake of a 45' power boat moving too fast for the shallow channel...anyway, we took a big bounce and the port aft shroud eye bolt failed...we let loose on all the sheets to release the strain on the rig and motored in...we replaced all 4 eye bolts chain plates, and each had some level of corrosion. If you are replacing the rigging, it is easy to check the chain plates.

ALSO, keep in mind that the swing keel is a bit loose in its suspension from the pin that supports it...too much severe bouncing, especially when heeled, imparts serious stress onto the pin and its mounts. It's tough to know without a complete overhaul the condition of the pin - but IMHO if you have a beacon and raft, then you have a back-up for keel failure.

Lastly, as said, the traffic where you will be is serious business.

Fair winds!

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  09:17:07  Show Profile
jerlim, good points with the chainplates. I have already replaced the lower shroud's chainplates (using the kit on CD) but I could not tell you the condition of the upper shroud chainplates off the top of my head. I've looked at them in the past, but not given them a thorough inspection.

Hopefully I do not have to do work on the upper's chainplates, seems to be a bigger job.

I'm doing full swing keel maintenance, because the swing keel (and the pop-top) is what concerns me the most.

This will include replacing the bolts, the pin (if needed, PO said the pin was replaced 2 years ago, but who knows the condition), and all the hardware. Including the spacer kit to minimize side-to-size movement!

I've never had noticeable side-to-side movement with the keel completely down, but on the dry I can absolutely move the keel side-to-side with just a light push.

Edited by - odonnellryanc on 12/11/2017 09:20:00
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  10:10:10  Show Profile
Exactly the point, it is the side-to-side movement (bouncing) when the boat is heeled that imparts serious stress to it's suspension parts, that keeps me out of the blue water for long periods. We sail the opposite end of Long Island; Peconic and Gardiner's Bay mostly, and once past Orient Point, any wind over 15 knots becomes cause for caution (at least for me).

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  10:55:58  Show Profile
Yes, the loads must get quite insane on the assembly especially when the boat is heeled. I hope the work I do on the keel will relieve some of the strain on the hardware with a better fit in the trunk.
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2017 :  22:17:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by odonnellryanc

Yes, the loads must get quite insane on the assembly especially when the boat is heeled. I hope the work I do on the keel will relieve some of the strain on the hardware with a better fit in the trunk.

The space between the keel hangers is more of an annoyance and long term maintenance issue than catastrophic failure issue. The extra space allows the keel to move back and forth, which can cause extra wear on the pin, and an annoying banging or clunking when it moves side-to-side.

Reports of catastrophic failure typically indicate the keel fell uncontrolled from a raised position into the fiberglass keel trunk, or fell off completely. I'm not aware of any report of lateral-force failure due to strain on the hardware.

That being said, you're right about the loads. If you don't already, you'll begin to appreciate the strength of fiberglass and the build quality of these boats as you work on your keel hardware.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2017 :  11:19:39  Show Profile
When I transitioned from lake sailing to ocean sailing, the biggest learning curve for me was understanding the tides and currents along the sea shore and harbors. I grew up boating and sailing in Colorado and Utah, when I moved to Charleston SC while in the Navy (subs) I had to really understand the currents going out and in with the tides. A narrow spot in the ICW with the tide coming in at 6kts and a huge barge coming the other way, and a under powered sailboat (1963 6hp Mercury) was a difficult situation. Learn the channel you'll be traveling in and the tides/currents and half your problems will be solved.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2017 :  17:46:00  Show Profile
Different body of water question:
has anybody first hand experience sailing in or crossing the Big Bend area in Florida from Carabelle/Appalachicola to Tarpon Springs/Clearwater in a C25?? It is about 180 miles...

Searched the archives unsuccessfully.

Thanks.

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2017 :  07:27:59  Show Profile
And once again, all this great knowledge is shared. The best benefit of owing a C25 and being a member of the forum.

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2017 :  08:11:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Good Times

has anybody first hand experience sailing in or crossing the Big Bend area in Florida from Carabelle/Appalachicola to Tarpon Springs/Clearwater in a C25?? It is about 180 miles...

Thanks.

I haven't made that passage and, in the absence of a reply here, suspect our participants haven't done it. If you could average 5 kts, it would take about 36 hours. Whenever your speed drops below 5 kts, you'd have to extend your ETA. You can't rely on windspeed and direction that will let you average 5 kts throughout a 36 hour trip. That means you'd have to carry enough fuel to motor all the way, if necessary. Then you'd have to wait for a favorable weather window. In addition, I don't think I ever sailed a day on the Florida Gulf Coast when the weather report didn't include a prediction of showers and thundershowers from Cedar Key to Cape Sable. There's always at least a little pop up thunderstorm or shower somewhere along that coast. It might be severe but it's more likely to be short lived. Nevertheless, that's what you can realistically expect. So, I'm sure it can be done by a C25, but I personally wouldn't want to be exposed that long in that area in a small boat. My preference would be to do it by cruising the coast in shorter hops of 10-12 hours per day. I haven't studied the charts for a trip like that, to see if there are inlets along that area at appropriate locations.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2017 :  10:29:58  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
quote:Originally posted by Good Times

Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

This section of water is part of the Great Loop. I know of a few Catalina 25s and many similar boats that have done the Great Loop. Somewhere on this forum I have seen discussion of a family of four on a Catalina 25 named Jabberwocky that has done the Great Loop.

I would suggest searching Great Loop sailing blogs. A couple from where I live (St. Louis, MO) did the Great Loop in a Hunter 260. Google their blog "Doing the Loop in GH3."

All stories I have read about loopers doing this crossing always talk about picking the right weather window. That is the key.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2017 :  21:03:27  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies and the link the specific loopers;

I have done small parts of the loop (TN-River to Mobile to Panama City; and GA coast) and try to stitch the rest together in the coming years, we'll see;
I have looked into this area's sailing potential for some time and gathered some info (absent a first hand account from a C25 owner):
The weather window is key; going in the early spring one can avoid the thunderstorms or the like and can ride the backside of 'mild' cold front with North component winds; that is also the common time for loopers to tackle that section.

The area along the coast (about 10-20 miles out) is very shallow and must be avoided except in and out the winding channels; A wind from the North is good for sailing but it will also push the water away from the bend and make it even more shallow. Going in and out of the small towns along the coast requires channel motoring in long stretches and then one is also 10-20 miles off shore; it also extends the trip to 3-4 days - which requires an even longer weather window; could be done but...

the shortest distance from Dog Island (near Carabelle) to Anclote Key (near Tarpon Springs) is about 140NM; if it were dead calm (unlikely) it could be motored all the way; I would not start the crossing if it was dead calm at the beginning though. the 180 NM is all the way down to Clearwater on the outside. To Anclote Key it would take about 30 hours enroute, a long stretch in the best of days but certainly manageable even if one had to 'work' for a few hours (Autopilot and crew are well trained); one goal should be to arrive at the West Coast (of FL) during daytime hours bc of the numerous fishing nets or pots and the like along the coast there.

It may happen this Spring; stay tuned.

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2018 :  22:51:12  Show Profile
Sailed the area once years ago in a Columbia 8.7 (28') fixed keel. Left Sandy Hook headed for Manasquan inlet 25 miles south. Well should have checked the weather and currents at the inlet. Suffice it to say we departed at 0600 with light but building SE winds. The winds built to a steady 30+ kts with a wicked and steep chop. We reached the inlet at 1800, yes about a 2kt average and met a full ebb tide. I had a full main and the Atomic 30 wide open and crawled up the inlet about 1kt or less. The point is, no matter what size boat you have, CHECK THE WEATHER, CHECK THE WEATHER.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
1981 Cat-25. sail number 2230
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2018 :  06:52:38  Show Profile
There's a two page article in the Winter 2017 issue of Mainsheet on Route Planning, Weather and Marinas for Coastal Cruising. Don't bother reading it. It's just a short summary of a 38 page article that covers the subject in detail. You can download the complete 38 page article at this link. http://www.mainsheet.net/files_pdf/Route-Planning-Feature-by-Bill-Worsley.pdf

I just found it, and have only skimmed it so far, but it has lots of excellent information.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page