Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pop-top "hood latch pins"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Member Avatar

108 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/11/2017 :  09:29:56  Show Profile
Hey all,

I've really been "spamming" the forum lately with topics!

Been thinking lately about the pop-top for the boat and the safety therein. It is an awesome feature that along with the canvas makes for some great comfort in the smaller boat, especially during hotter days.

However, the hardware is certainly lacking. While I never sail with the pop-top up (only opening it when at anchor on a nice day or at the dock) those two small thumb-bolts I have that keep it secure (along with its somewhat significant weight) are ... concerning.

I haven't ever read about anyone having any problems with the pop-top, but I was thinking about a simple solution that has already been used in the car world: https://i.imgur.com/VwEG5lN.jpg

Basically, I'd put these inside the cabin to keep the deck as clear as possible.

What do you guys think? Ideally I'd like to make these long enough, or rig up two cables for each, to be able to secure them with the pop-top in the up position as well. That way we can open it on slightly windy days and not worry about a gust ripping it off :)

What good marine-grade hardware can I use for this? I'm thinking about eye-straps like this: https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=ronstan-eye-strap-saddle&path=-1|118|2303373|2303376&id=638964

bolted from the top - so the bolt can lay as flat as possible on the deck.

For wire, well, I guess I'd have to rig something up that is appropriate.

I figure I could possibly use these eye-straps for hanging other things as appropriate in the cabin, so win-win (maybe).

Edit: for wire I'll probably just use some dyneema I have. Just as strong, easier to work with, easily replaceable, lets me use nice hardware I already have :)

Edited by - odonnellryanc on 12/11/2017 09:32:31

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  09:55:14  Show Profile
I put the in the Pop Top Power Lift kit (E1812). Aside from helping with the weight, once up, it exerts a forward pressure on the mast so you really don't have to worry about it dropping on your head. I feel it was money well spent.

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  12:55:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by odonnellryanc

That way we can open it on slightly windy days and not worry about a gust ripping it off :)

Most of us initially had doubts as to the adequacy of the pop top hatch dogs, but realistically, there is zero chance of a pop top being ripped off on a "slightly windy day." It's conceivable that it might happen at around 40-50 kts, if the pop top isn't secured, but !) a C25 should be in it's slip when the wind is blowing that hard and 2) if you're caught out in anywhere near that much wind, the pop top should be down and all hatches dogged down securely. When beating to windward in about 18 kts and above, you'll start taking spray over the bow. If the pop top is open, even slightly, that spray will get inside the boat.

Those two dogs look flimsy, but they're adequate for their designed purpose. They'll hold the top in place until the conditions are such that the survival of the boat is in doubt. Realistically, the boat should be taken to shelter before the conditions ever reach that stage.

There's a simple device on the mast that is supposed to keep the pop top up when it's raised, and IMO, it's not reliable, so I think it would be good to rig a better device to keep it from falling when it's open., I just tied it up with a piece of line.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/11/2017 12:57:11
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  13:59:49  Show Profile
I agree with Steve. I have the hook on the mast but also have seen it move down and almost unhook. I now keep 1 of those ratchet straps in the boat, it keeps it very secure.

Wes

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  14:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello,

CD offers the replacement dogs in the correct size. When I get around to it, my plan is to simply add another pair up at the forward edge. No need to over think it and spend more $ and time. But hey, to each his own. best of luck with whatever you decide to do. And I agree with the others, the pop top should never be up while sailing.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  15:06:18  Show Profile
I'm a little confused, Do you worry about keeping it up or down. Later boats have 3 dogs to lock it down. One on each side and one mid way on the forward edge. CD sells them if you want to add more but in all the years of being a member here I've never heard anybody say their top flew open.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  17:35:07  Show Profile
My '89 has four dogs, 2 on each side. Never had any worry about it opening and like several of the others, I run a line around the front of the mast back to the two front legs of the pop-top to make sure it doesn't close unexpectedly.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2017 :  18:07:32  Show Profile
Four dogs would certainly ease most people's minds vis-a-vis a catastrophe like a capsize or a breaking 12 ft wave. Chances of both are miniscule but possible, so never say never. So for those who never use the poptop, epoxy it closed for good. Or through-bolt it if you're worried about resale value. I don't use my poptop frequently but often enough. I may decide to through bolt it and add wingnuts instead of dogs.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2017 :  07:46:46  Show Profile
quote:
There's a simple device on the mast that is supposed to keep the pop top up when it's raised, and IMO, it's not reliable, so I think it would be good to rig a better device to keep it from falling when it's open., I just tied it up with a piece of line.

I had to look hard for this one but I remembered these that Jebrant had on his boat. I believe they hinged from the strut bolt. I believe he made them to hold the top open about 3/4 of the way so he didn't have to remove his vang. You could make them to hold it fully up too.

Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2017 :  13:11:45  Show Profile
Unnecessary.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2017 :  15:13:53  Show Profile
Jerry, Sorry you find it "Unnecessary". I'm not trying to force anything down anybody's throat just showing a different approach from another member. I thought that was what this site was about. Share information and ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2017 :  16:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

quote:
Originally posted by odonnellryanc

That way we can open it on slightly windy days and not worry about a gust ripping it off :)

Most of us initially had doubts as to the adequacy of the pop top hatch dogs, but realistically, there is zero chance of a pop top being ripped off on a "slightly windy day." It's conceivable that it might happen at around 40-50 kts, if the pop top isn't secured, but !) a C25 should be in it's slip when the wind is blowing that hard and 2) if you're caught out in anywhere near that much wind, the pop top should be down and all hatches dogged down securely. When beating to windward in about 18 kts and above, you'll start taking spray over the bow. If the pop top is open, even slightly, that spray will get inside the boat.

Those two dogs look flimsy, but they're adequate for their designed purpose. They'll hold the top in place until the conditions are such that the survival of the boat is in doubt. Realistically, the boat should be taken to shelter before the conditions ever reach that stage.

I agree with Steve. I sail in the Sound and have been out beating to get home where the waves are rattling my teeth and everything in and on the boat. The pop top has never been an issue.
BUT...
On the mooring I once had the pop top slam down when the launch went by a bit too fast. Since then I have taken the "belt & suspenders" approach.
I use the "J" hook on the mast AND tie a line from the pop top legs around the mast.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  07:58:36  Show Profile
I agree the slide lock on the pop-top can slide down and the top will crash down. I made a "crutch" for my pop-top. It is a simple device made from PVC. I used a 2x2 furniture foot cap, and glued the PVC pipe to the cup. I cut a notch in the PXC pipe so that it would fit the edge of the roof. I slide the PVC until it locks into the roof, kind of wedge the PVC between the roof top and the deck. It holds the roof up and gives added security. I even used it when the mast was down to hold up the pop-top. it is simple and secure.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  14:13:36  Show Profile
I make use of the slider on the mast to hold the pop top up, but a PO also installed a wing nut on top of the knurled round nut that holds the slider in place. My pop top has never fallen down, even when rockin and rollin all night at anchor in a breeze.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  17:18:50  Show Profile
I agree, the 4 pop top dogs are fine if secured properly (tight);

in a most extreme outing during the infamous 2015 Dauphin Island Regatta with sustained winds of 75 plus and 6-8ft waves over close to an hour, we had many issues but the pop top was not one of them and it did not move 'an inch'.

As a minor mod. I have put velcro pieces on the twist knob and the pop top to keep them from falling down and hooking onto the latches just when you want to raise the top.

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  17:32:30  Show Profile
I just have the 2 dogs, so I think instead of using line to make some fasteners I'll spend the same money on CD and get 2 more :)

We have the mast track stop but yes we do tie a safety line when it is up.

I may buy the lift kit too, after a day of rougher sailing when you may be sore it's a pain to push up at times.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  18:42:02  Show Profile
I like all of these ideas. Especially the one Scott shared. I think I will make a pair of those struts. Wood or aluminum? We will see.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page