Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker Crane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/26/2017 :  19:28:06  Show Profile
Back in the Spring 2017 when setting up the new-to-me boat I added a spinnaker crane.

The spinnaker crane was procured from Catalina Direct.

I mounted the crane directly to the masthead.

Did not work with the roller furling jib.

On two occasions while attempting to roll in the jib - it fouled the spinnaker halyard. Ouch... and dangerous... if the halyard could not be cleared and the jib rolled in.

Something had to be done.

While at House of Stainless for the anchor locker cover I had them fabricate a 12-inch long piece of 1/8-inch stainless plate into a tapered angle for use as a crane extension.

To install, the choices were to bring down the mast or climb... I chose to climb.

I used a special climbing line tied to the main halyard and an assender/gri gri to climb to the top... it's been seven years since I climbed a mast and this time I found it difficult to get to the top. Fighting around the rigging and re-learning the hang/raise foot straps/stand/raise gri gri cycle made for a tedious afternoon. Had to make two trips too... one to retrive the crane and the second trip to reinstall the extended crane.

Thankfully I was able to reuse the old bolt holes and bolts on the masthead to minimize tasks at the top.

Hopefully the problem of the roller jib fouling the spinnaker halyard is forever gone.

It's only been up there for a few hours but I already wish I would have used aluminum plate for less than half the weight of the extention.

(No worries... that rear nut is tight... just the inner web of the masthead interferes with the bolt head so it does not rise as high as the forward bolt)

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Edited by - Carl in LA on 12/26/2017 20:55:54

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2017 :  21:44:11  Show Profile
Carl,

Your mast crane doesn't look anything like mine.
What is your hull number?
It looks like you have a much newer model than mine.

Thanks, Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 12/26/2017 21:47:05
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2017 :  21:53:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Carl,

Your mast crane doesn't look anything like mine.
What is your hull number?
It looks like you have a much newer model than mine.

Thanks, Russ

Hi Russ...

What is my hull number? Havent thought about it for a while... 922 I believe...

Are you referring to the mast head or the piece of stainless that I added (and I am calling a spinnaker crane)?

Here is an out of focus shot from different angle...

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2017 :  08:57:39  Show Profile
Carl,

You must have a C250-MKII (Mark-2)
The earlier models have an open masthead crane, but yours has a solid top.

Here's a link to Catalina Direct with the old Masthead crane.
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/605_631/masthead-complete-standard-rig-c-25-c-250.cfm

Here's a link to the Catalina Direct with the old Spinnaker Crane
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2092_631/spinnaker-crane-c-25-std-rig-c-250-c-27-c-28.cfm

Your custom Spinnaker Crane is much larger than the one available from Catalina Direct.
I'm thinking yours will have much more trouble free.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 12/27/2017 11:27:46
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2017 :  09:56:48  Show Profile
It’s really important to put your boat info in your signature. Lots of advice, both given and received, is incorrect without model, year of manufacture, hull number, and keel/ballast design.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 12/27/2017 09:57:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page