Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Are your plastic windows cloudy & yellowed?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/28/2018 :  10:57:53  Show Profile
I just found a product that many of you might find useful for many purposes. It's Meguiar's PlastX. ($6.47 at Walmart) The label says it "removes cloudiness, yellowing, oxidation & fine scratches" from clear plastics, such as dodger windows, auto headlights, motorcycle windshields, motorcycle helmet face shields, convertible top rear windows, etc. I can imagine that it might even remove fine scratches from a favorite old pair of sunglasses, especially if they were expensive and worth saving.

I just tried it on a convertible top rear window that was so badly clouded that I had decided to replace it, and it worked so well that I'm going to leave it alone.

The label says it contains petroleum distillates and aluminum oxide. The theory seems to be that plastic windows are actually somewhat porous, and grime penetrates them. The petroleum distillates clean out the pores and the aluminum oxide is an extremely fine abrasive that polishes very fine scratches from the surface.

All I know is that it worked really well for me, and this spring I plan to use it on my dodger windows, in the expectation that I won't have to replace them either, and on my motorcycle windshield, which I thought was unsalvageable.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 01/28/2018 10:59:57

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2018 :  16:40:08  Show Profile
Steve, I've used that product and it does work but like waxing the boat it has to be reapplied every so often. Funny but I did try it on an old pair of glasses. It didn't work. Just made them hazy.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 01/28/2018 17:30:40
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2018 :  18:32:11  Show Profile
This is the first time I've used it, but it seems to work really well on vinyl windows like dodgers and convertible tops. Unless your window is obviously unredeemable, it's certainly worth trying. Mine was pretty bad.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  13:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Good to know.
How did you apply it?

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  13:31:17  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Steve!

Ben
Beneteau 361
Viking Kitty
Columbus, Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  07:56:24  Show Profile
It was easy to apply. First, I washed the window with clear water and a soft cloth, just to remove any surface dirt. Then I wiped the cleaner on about half the rear window with a clean, dry cloth, rubbed it a little, and then wiped it off with a clean terry cloth towel before the cleaner dried completely. That removed a lot of the cloudiness, but there was a little left, so I applied it a second time, and that left it clear. There were a few little specks of something that were bonded tenaciously to the surface, and I removed them by picking at them with a fingernail and rubbing them vigorously with the cleaner.

There was also a place where someone had stuck a piece of scotch tape on it, probably to attach a for sale sign to it, and I rubbed it with isopropyl alcohol and then gave it a little special application of the cleaner.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  08:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
"before the cleaner dried completely "
Key tip thanks.
I always see the car guys using a foam ball thing on their headlights. Maybe a foam sponge would be good.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page