Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bottom Paint - How Much?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keats
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/30/2018 :  16:01:43  Show Profile
I plan on two coats of ablative antifouling paint this winter. The boat has been in fresh water for four years since the last bottom job. It looked pretty good when I pulled it, a little algae and a few blisters on the keel.

Can anyone tell me if a gallon will get me two coats on a C-25 FK? Not asking for a guarantee, just advice.

I guess I can buy quarts as well if I need some more.

Also, do you shake this stuff?

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  16:47:07  Show Profile
A gallon should be close, I just repainted my Capri 25, used a gallon and had enough for a third coat on the water line, rudder and leading edge of keel. When I had a C25 swing keel a gallon worked as well. My Watkins takes a little more than a gallon.

I use a paint mixer attached to my drill (took roughly 30 minutes), a friend was able to get a local hardware store shake it on their machine. Not this exact one, but one similar - https://www.harborfreight.com/all-purpose-mixer-41015.html

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL

Edited by - TCurran on 01/30/2018 16:49:56
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  17:07:41  Show Profile
FWIW -- I have never gotten two coats from one gallon -- more like 2/3 gallon per coat. Ablative paint especially needs to be well shaken or stirred. Most paint stores will not shake boat paint unless they sold it to you or know you. Stirring is best done with a mixing attachment to a drill. In salt water I originally did a strike coat and two top coats. Now one top coat every two years does the trick.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  20:31:47  Show Profile
Some folks try to thin the paint to stretch it, however, there are two downsides to this: (1) the manufacturer claims that you will make the paint less effective and (2) the specific thinner for oil-based ablative bottom paint ain't cheap either. In my estimation you can paint your bottom once very solidly with one coat and use the rest to add a "dry coating" where you really wring out the roller with the rest. You'll probably need at least another quart to adequately apply two coats.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  21:35:59  Show Profile
I plan on one gallon per coat. Plus one quart of a contrasting color like red or black. I start with the quart and use it on the waterline and bow. Then I use blue for the whole bottom. Any extra in a gallon goes on the waterline, bow, leading and trailing edges of the keel, and the rudder. When the contrasting color starts to show I start thinking about a haulout. I never thin ablatives since the name of the game is build up thickness. I use a roller with a relatively short nap to minimize the stipple from the roller, but it quickly ablates away to a smooth surface anyway.

Cheers!!!!

Chuck

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  04:08:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have been using Interlux Micron Extra Copolymer paint about every
~4 years and I can cover 1 coat with a gallon with some left over - Perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 of a gallon. I generally use a different color each time. For copolymers/ablatives that works well as you can see just how well 1 or 2 coats are holding up when you see signs of the old coat becoming visible.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  08:33:46  Show Profile
Excellent, thanks to you all for the help.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  20:04:52  Show Profile
I'm buying my bottom paint next week and just researched this. It depends on the type of bottom paint too, if you look at the specs and coverage page online, you'll see they cover different amounts.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  15:34:17  Show Profile
Applying ablative on top of ablative: what kind of prep do you do? I'm thinking a decent sanding, but maybe nothing too extreme?
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  04:28:54  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Ablative on Ablative ranges from basically just washing the bottom and reapply to just doing a light sanding. Best to follow each mfrs specific recommendations listed on the gallon of paint. Interlux also has a separate chart or at least use to have a separate chart, sort of a matrix, that listed existing bottom paint and new paint to be applied and the appropriate prep required. So, either check out the labels at your local boat store or mfrs info on the web. In general, Ablative on Ablative or Copolymer on Copolymer are soft paints and require the easiest/least prep compared to the hard paints.

Of course, all mfrs are going to recommend, regardless of the bottom paint, to remove all slime, barnacles, etc - That's a given.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  15:37:16  Show Profile
I'm going to paint on a barrier primer coat to help prevent blisters, and then a ablative paint on top. Two coats.

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  18:18:26  Show Profile
Whoa, I don't think you can paint a barrier coating on top of antifouling paint or did you strip the bottom and I'm just reading this wrong.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 02/02/2018 18:21:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  20:30:02  Show Profile
Your reading it wrong. The bottom will be prepped and clean. You are right, you shouldnt put a barrier coat over bottom paint..

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2018 :  05:42:49  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
My website has details of when I had blisters removed, 7 coats of Interlux Interprotect applied followed by 2 coats of Copolymer paint. My boat had significant b;isters that went into the laminate. I made the decision, even though expensive, to complete the repair. This was some time ago....work was completed early Spring 2012.

I had to review my photos and writeup to help recall if all the anti-fouling paint was removed before they applied the Interprotect (barrier paint). For the most part, I believe they did remove all the anti-fouling paint. First of all, my boat had so many blisters, that just to uncover most of them, they removed significant portions of the anti-fouling paint to start with and then they had quite a bit of contouring to do since none of the blisters were simply epoxy filled - They had to relaminate 1-2 foot sections at a time with cloth and resin and so there was quite a bit of contour sanding, etc performed. After the last coat of Interprotect, they just applied the anti-fouling - 2 coats.

This Spring, it will now be 6 years since that work was performed. Since I keep the boat in the water year-round (except the winter when I had the blister job squared away), I have an annual pressure wash to remove the Potomac River water slime. I believe I had the local yard apply a coat or two of Copolymer anit-fouling paint (Micron Extra) a couple of years ago. No issues with the original anti-fouling and the new anti-fouling - boat was pressure washed this past fall and it was fine. I had a few , minor blisters but pushing on them, they were just paint blisters with water squishing out.

Anyway, the copolymer paint over barrier paint (ie Interlux Interprotect) was easy with no real prep involved.

Oh ! One thing I recall which is sort of interesting. After the blister repair/paint applications and travel arm lowering the boat in the water, I visited the boat that day in prep for sailing back to my marina. A check of the fishfinder - I was getting error msgs, then readings all over the place and then error msgs again. That wasn't good but I gave it some thought and I was thinking that there were quite a few air bubbles that I noticed clinging onto the sides of the hull. So, I was pretty sure the fishfinder was okay. The next day getting ready to sail back, the fishfinder , by then, was back to normal readings - No issues. It was just the clinging bubbles upon the boat being put back in the water !!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2018 :  18:44:35  Show Profile
I use a black base coat followed with two blue top coats. With that technique I get two coats of blue out of one gallon. I even leaves me with a little extra for the mooring ball.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2018 :  22:01:50  Show Profile
I gave mine a base coat of blue then one gallon of brown gave me two good coats with a little left to touch up the next year. Another gallon has been touching it up for the last 4 years. I didn't touch up this year because I will strip and redo the whole thing this coming summer. Starting to see a lot of blue now.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page