Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Treating my teak
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Member Avatar

40 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/02/2018 :  22:12:38  Show Profile
Hi — I’m new to the forum having bought our 1987 C25 last fall. The original owner (since deceased) left several cans inside: Deks Rens, Penetrol, and Deks Olje #1. My interior teak still looks great, and I’m thinking he used the Olje on that. The exterior trim is pretty weathered. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with any of these products? It doesn’t look like a Flood Co. even makes Deks Rens anymore. Thanks! I’m really impressed with the expertise here!

“Lucky Duck” - ‘87 C25 Trad. SR/WK #5588
Whiskeytown Lake, CA

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2018 :  09:44:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyDuck

...Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with any of these products?
Welcome "Lucky", and congratulations! No.... But welcome! Once you get some useful responses, it might be time to join us.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2018 :  10:16:42  Show Profile
The first thing you need to consider is what kind of finish do you want? A high gloss looks amazing but it's harder to achieve and then to maintain. Or, you can have a satin finish, which will likely need fewer coats and be easier to maintain. Or, you can apply an oil perhaps twice a year that is very easy to apply, will look nice and will provide some protection to the teak. Or, you can let the teak weather naturally.

I like Sikkens Cetol with the satin finish. It looks nice, is easy to apply, lasts reasonably well, and I greatly extend it's life by making Sunbrella covers for the grab rails and other teak surfaces to keep the sun and rain off the teak when I'm not using the boat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2018 :  11:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
"Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with any of these products?"

I don't use either product but have used Watco which is also a penetrating oil. Fine for interiors but IMO inadequate for exteriors.

For a long time I used Armada Wood Finish because I felt Cetol was too yellow but have now switched to Cetol. It is now a clearer color and lasts longer.

Here is a link to the Deks Olje D1 with a description of how it works.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=168&engine=adwords&keyword=deks_oljekw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw6zfvrSK2QIVwUOGCh2j9QnREAAYASAAEgK2KPD_BwE

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2018 :  09:52:30  Show Profile
I have posted this before, but a lady on the Texas coast who detailed boats for a living told me that she prefers Cetol to anything else as it lasts longer in a marine environment, especially saltwater.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:24:38  Show Profile
Thanks for the input! It sounds like wood maintenance is a case of “pay now or pay later.” Where we are, sun and heat are the big factor (72 days over 100 degrees last summer), so protection is key.

“Lucky Duck” - ‘87 C25 Trad. SR/WK #5588
Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page