Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Masthead wind transmitter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bushav
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/06/2018 :  12:19:26  Show Profile
Hey guys,

I'm shopping for a wind instrument for Lucy Lee. It looks like I have settled on the Raymarine T101 wireless system. Have any of you guys installed a wind transmitter on your masthead? It looks like I will have to make some type of stainless plate to go on the top of the masthead for mounting purposes. I should probably make it large enough for an antenna mount if I ever want to add a VHF. I hate to add a "pelican perch" to the top but I really want a wind instrument.

Lane

Lane

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2018 :  14:25:48  Show Profile
Lane,

No one has replied to your post, so we are not ignoring you.
When I bought my boat in 2005, the only option was to run a wire inside the mast. That looked expensive, so I just bought a hand-held.
After that, I use a few times a year. Really just to test if my feel for the wind, against the measurement of the wind.
Wireless hasn't been available for very long.
I suspect not many sailors here have installed one.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.
I would like to hear how it works out on your boat.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2018 :  17:24:51  Show Profile
Thanks for replying. I did buy the hand held wind instrument and it helps but not really ideal. We rent a Moorings boat every January. I find that with a quality wind instrument I am more proactive in reefing before it gets dicey. The wife likes the Mooring experience better and I believe some of it is attributed to my better management of the sail area. With the Catalina 250 I tend to reef after the winds kick up, when we get uncomfortable. I believe a wind instrument would be in my best interest. Going to order with Raymarine wireless. I'll report back.

Lane

Lane
Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2018 :  07:18:37  Show Profile
It can be done, but you may need a new conduit if your present one already has radio and lights. That said, there is no reason a bigger one couldn't be installed. Anchoring it could be the issue.

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2018 :  14:18:27  Show Profile
i just bought a wind instrument called eole . It was in good old boat a nice article on eole. Its handheld and has a 1\20 tap in the bottom to mount it. It shows gusts average an in good old boat in the last issue i believed low wind speeds. It cost 79 d0llars. It can be mounted on a winch handle. Check out the article Good Old Boat sept/october 2017 issue,
it is also waterproof https://www.ambientweather.com/jdjdceole1.html

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct

Edited by - cat25 on 03/07/2018 14:41:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page