Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Defender Warehouse Sale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/16/2018 :  19:13:36  Show Profile
While West has its BOGO promotion ( a real deal especially on Lewmar winches) , Defender's annual warehouse sale is one week away (3/22-3/25) and the deals are typically exceptional. Defender has everything from outboards and RIBs to hardware. Definitely the time to buy!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2018 :  19:26:47  Show Profile
Basically, it's 10% off Defender's prices on everything. (For example, Defender's regular price on Starbrite Deck Cleaner is about half of WM's, so WM's BOGO sale is kinda meaningless in that case, and it'll be less at Defender next week.) I'll be there Thursday early afternoon, when the morning crush is starting to depart. Earlier, they're parked out on the highway...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2018 :  05:24:47  Show Profile
I believe Defenders warehouse sale includes online sales. Click, click and avoid the crowds.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2018 :  11:52:12  Show Profile
I clicked. Got a new windex some polysulfide some LED fixtures and two teak handholds. I plan to add hand holds to the sides of the cabin top to help my guests board the boat. I’m planning to mount them on a teak board then glue them on using 5200. Rather no drill holes in the cabin...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2018 :  13:34:13  Show Profile
Bruce, That's not a spot I would think people look to grab. Most people that get on my boat always grab the rear pushpit. Just more natural I guess. As soon as they step on the coming top they would have to let go of your teak handhold because it would be way too low to hold on to. If the Bimini is up then it would be useless.

Edited by - islander on 03/30/2018 13:47:03
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2018 :  06:55:45  Show Profile
I'm dubious about 5200 for that purpose... The oil in the teak is might diminish the adhesion, and your guests are counting on those hand-holds to support them. It could be ugly if one let go.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2018 :  07:39:24  Show Profile
I think the best and most secure way to board most sailboats is to grasp the aft lower stay, step onto the gunwale, and then step over the lifeline. You don't have to lean over or stoop down. You board the boat standing upright, rather than off balance. That assumes that the step up or down from the finger pier isn't too great.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2018 :  10:46:07  Show Profile
My wife tried that method once. Put one foot over the lifelines then caught her second foot on the lifelines and took a faceplant on the cabin top. I looked at her and asked if she was ok? Nice bruise on her shin and muttered some colorful words. I pointed to the gate. keep in mind Bruce has a Bimini so boarding mid ship means having to negotiate it to get to the cockpit. The Bimini arms will force you to let go of a handhold on the side of the cabin when entering the cockpit through the gate and the Bimini mounts and winch are in the way for a foot placement forward of the gate.
If your foot is on the gunwale the teak handhold will be around 12" above it on the cabin side. Awkward to me.

No foot hold forward of the winch even if his Bimini is folded the arms and mounts are still there.

Edited by - islander on 03/31/2018 11:27:11
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2018 :  19:17:03  Show Profile
Yes, while I can climb aboard just about anywhere, my wife and guests tend toward the lifeline gate opening nearest the cabin. I generally set the boom to be over to the boarding side, nonetheless people are always looking for something to grab as they’re getting aboard. Im going to try the handle in a few locations to see what works.
I also bought a single step with grippy tread on it.
Now that I’m in the slip I want everything to be E-Z

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:26:28  Show Profile
I keep a line looped around the mainsail with an eye splice and draped over the lifeline at the gate.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/07/2018 12:16:36
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2018 :  03:53:45  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I usually find that Defender has better prices on line compared to West Marine and even when you figure in the shipping cost. If you can catch a Defender sale, then so much the better. Last Summer, I replaced my Genoa sheet (Sampson XLS Extra T) with same from Defender. As my other lines need replacement, I will probably buy them from Defender as well.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2018 :  07:31:58  Show Profile
I have found that the safest way for everyone to board my C25 (with the bimini stowed and the lifeline moved out of the way) is to plant a foot on the gunwale next to the winch, lean forward to hold with both hands the mainsail cover on the boom, and then step down to the cockpit seat. The boom is big, strong, and easily supports anybody's weight. This works great for guests over 5 feet tall.

It's easy for anxious guests to see how safe that is.

It's more difficult when we are tied to the dock of a distant marina and have the bimini up all day and night. Then one aft bimini strap has to be detached and folks board by stepping onto the gunwale and squeezing between the aft bow of the bimini and the pushpit stanchion before grabbing the boom.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2018 :  17:38:44  Show Profile
JohnP -- I fully agree. Regulars get it , visitors grope for "whatever"

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2018 :  07:29:54  Show Profile
In my experience, everyone goes straight for the stanchion. If I can prevent that in certain measure, I can save the bedding for a little while more. I'm going to ask one of my 5' tall friends to test boarding the boat. If I can mount the handle in a way that prevents yanking on the stanchion, I'll call it a win.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page