Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Rudder snapped in half
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Member Avatar

35 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/02/2018 :  16:43:58  Show Profile
Exciting rum race tonight

We were going along at nearly 6 knots in winds from 14 mph to 25 mph with single reef and 110% jib.

then a loud snap when rudder broke in half. Maybe we hit a manatee or a gator submerged log???. The lower half floated off and we did not recover it.

we spun around once

got the motor started and used it to steer our way back.

Its a Rudder Craft HDPE rudder with warranty. I think I will upgrade to their blue water version which is thicker wider and longer unless someone has a better idea.

Unfortunately i tossed the original rudder which was too short and not very effective in winds above 15 mph.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2018 :  18:07:10  Show Profile
Classic lower pintle break but that is the first HDPE rudder I've heard of.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2018 :  18:09:44  Show Profile
Bet that was exciting...

Hope you have an easy time resolving and replacing...

Carl

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2018 :  20:13:25  Show Profile
I've heard of that with HDPE rudders--they're apparently about as flexible as ice. Were you fighting any significant weather helm and/or pitching in significant chop? (Sounds like the latter was probably true.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  02:59:08  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
In the archives, there are a few reports of HDPE rudders snapping. Not sure what population of HDPE rudders are out there right now and so the percentage of breakage may be very low....still it is very unsettling when something like this happens.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  06:40:49  Show Profile
I ordered a new HDPE rudder earlier this week, certainly hope I haven't made a mistake.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  12:12:33  Show Profile
There are some small motorboats and kayaks out there made out of molded HDPE, but the vast majority of boats are made out of FRP. Maybe we're seeing why.

A rudder with a fiberglass skin over a form core is a pretty rigid and strong option (until they fill with water and freeze). Also, I vaguely remember hearing about warping of HDPE rudders when exposed to sunlight on one side (like on the west side of the boat in late afternoon).

Everything has tradeoffs, but HDPE may have some pretty severe ones.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Falcon113
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2018 :  07:30:56  Show Profile
I had a similar failure last year with my HDPE rudder in 15-20kts of wind and 2ft of waves. Luckily I keep the original rudder on board as a spare.
Ruddercraft send me a replacement rudder free of charge.

<b><i>Mathimel Bohemia River</b></i>
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2018 :  14:59:23  Show Profile
I ordered a new HDPE rudder from Catalina Direct last week and received a call from them today. I was told that there have been several instances of HDPE breaking and the company that made them has increased the thickness by 1/2 inch up to 2". A new fiberglass rudder is also an increased 1/2 inch thicker. New pintles are included with both, a new tiller is included with the new thicker fiberglass rudder. I went with the new fiberglass rudder.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2018 :  08:14:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tradewind

I ordered a new HDPE rudder from Catalina Direct last week and received a call from them today. I was told that there have been several instances of HDPE breaking and the company that made them has increased the thickness by 1/2 inch up to 2". A new fiberglass rudder is also an increased 1/2 inch thicker. New pintles are included with both, a new tiller is included with the new thicker fiberglass rudder. I went with the new fiberglass rudder.

I received my new rudder, seems it is not 2" thick, it' same as the old rudder 1 and 1/2", also it is 7" shorter below the water and 2" shorter fore and aft. And the tiller will sit 5" higher. Not sure how this is going to work, a call to CD might be in order.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL

Edited by - Tradewind on 06/08/2018 08:45:16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2018 :  10:41:09  Show Profile
Don't they give you the dimensions before you order so you can compare it to the standard rudder? Also did you have them install the pintles? If so it sounds like they were installed to low on the rudder maybe?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/08/2018 10:45:15
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2018 :  11:09:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Don't they give you the dimensions before you order so you can compare it to the standard rudder? Also did you have them install the pintles? If so it sounds like they were installed to low on the rudder maybe?

Dimensions were not posted on CD when I first ordered the rudder, my first order was changed by CD because the rudder they were selling had a tendency to break. This is a new rudder listed on CD, dimensions are on there now. Pintles were installed by the manufacturer. I had a second generation rudder, I'm thinking this new one is a third generation. Don't know when I'll get on the water to check it, maybe late next week.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2018 :  06:02:13  Show Profile
Hi Steve:

Curious about your situation...

From the way I'm reading your description... assuming the new rudder is a third generation - I don't think it would fit with the pintles so "high/low" on the rudder...

The third gen rudder has a region that actually goes forward under the boat - and there is just enough dimensional room on the rudder for 922 to slip the pintles together with the rudder turned fully to the side for the lip to clear and pass under the boat.

Hope the matter is resolved easily...

Best,

Carl

BTW - from looking at the picture I can see how the larger underwater section on the rudder causes a strength mismatch with the portion of the rudder above water - if you know what I mean...

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2018 :  06:47:32  Show Profile
Here is a look at the new blue water performance rudder from Rudder Craft. I decided to get a retractable rudder that pops up if it hits an obstacle. Rudder Craft gave me full credit for the broken part and completely stand behind there work!

Have not had a chance to try it yet as I have been distracted by a new larger sailboat I got while my c250 was out of commission.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2018 :  07:37:51  Show Profile
Carl,

The rudder I'm replacing, the one that cracked, looks like the picture. The new rudder does not have the section that goes forward under the boat. After measuring, the new rudder is about 20% less wetted surface. The new rudder is overall smaller but much heavier than my old rudder. I'm hoping to get it to the boat this week and try it out. I had originally ordered a rudder same as the one that cracked but CD said it was no longer available and changed my order after 2 weeks to the new stronger and thicker rudder, though the new one is the same thickness as the old. The area where the pintles are mounted is thicker so that should prevent cracks in that area.

I hope it works well as I'm putting the boat up for sale this month, after some cleaning and polishing. Due to age and health I just can't take care of it like I used to.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page