Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Joy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2018 :  11:46:32  Show Profile
After the unseasonably hot couple of days, I got my air conditioner working today! Since I live aboard all summer, AC is a big deal, and mine kept tripping the breaker when I turned it on. That usually means it isn't pumping sea water into the system or out of it, so I shut off the thru hull valves and ran a snake through each hose and finally found the blockage. So, thank goodness, I'm sitting here in a cool salon, thinking about how much it would have cost if I hadn't been able to get it working, and the thought of it makes me shiver!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2018 :  12:01:19  Show Profile
Sounds like you could have saved yourself the effort and just worried about the cost... I'm familiar with the heat, humidity, dead air, no-see-ums in the evening, and BLACK FLIES in daytime around the Chesapeake--glad you're in a protected environment!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/05/2018 12:02:19
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2018 :  20:27:00  Show Profile
Speaking of cost... You folks (and I at one time) look forward to a new mainsail, genoa, self-tailing winches,... This year I'm looking forward to new electronic$: multi-function GP$/di$play, broadband radar (pretty amazing), and high-tech bottom-$canner (more important to fishermen than to me, but in the bundle). The radar is the high point (especially since mine broke)--it picks up targets as small as kayaks from practically next to the boat out to 25 miles--the close-in stuff is the breakthrough. And instead of the traditional 3000-4000 watts of radiation, this generates 165 milliwatts (a fraction of a cell phone). I'm in more danger from my phone in my pants pocket than from going on the foredeck with the radar on. For a sailboat, this is significant for power consumption.

I'll have all of that stuff on one screen in front of my helm this year. The cost? Ummmm... I've already forgotten! But I'm less likely to get surprised in fog. (I know what it's like with and without.)

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/05/2018 20:29:13
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2018 :  21:30:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Speaking of cost... You folks (and I at one time) look forward to a new mainsail, genoa, self-tailing winches,... This year I'm looking forward to new electronic$: multi-function GP$/di$play, broadband radar (pretty amazing), and high-tech bottom-$canner (more important to fishermen than to me, but in the bundle). The radar is the high point (especially since mine broke)--it picks up targets as small as kayaks from practically next to the boat out to 25 miles--the close-in stuff is the breakthrough. And instead of the traditional 3000-4000 watts of radiation, this generates 165 milliwatts (a fraction of a cell phone). I'm in more danger from my phone in my pants pocket than from going on the foredeck with the radar on. For a sailboat, this is significant for power consumption.

I'll have all of that stuff on one screen in front of my helm this year. The cost? Ummmm... I've already forgotten! But I'm less likely to get surprised in fog. (I know what it's like with and without.)

Could you enlarge a bit on the criteria before you decided on purchasing this particular unit... What was involved with the installation

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2018 :  10:18:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Could you enlarge a bit on the criteria before you decided on purchasing this particular unit... What was involved with the installation
I haven't even taken delivery, but the choice was Simrad's Go9 MFD bundled with transducer, Navionics+ charts, and their 3G radar. (Their 4G radar is a little more sophisticated, but beyond my needs.) Criteria were function, size, price, value, reviews, friends' recommendations, and playing with it at my local WM. Installation looks pretty simple--plug and play. (Famous last words?) The very same hardware with software oriented toward sailing is branded as B&G--both from Navico. From what I've seen, Raymarine and Garmin are catching up on broadband radar, but Navico has been the leader. I'm looking forward to it!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2018 :  15:38:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Henk, the Simrad installation was very straightforward... I mounted their little "interface" box in my electrical cabinet, hooked up power for the radar and the multi-function display (I had two open, separately fused branches on my Accessory circuit), ran the p;ug-in cables from the radar to the box, from the box to the MFD, and from the transom-mounted transducer to the MFD.

To interface the GPS to my fixed VHF (for DSC distress calling), I would have needed a $100 translator from NMEA 2000 to the older NMEA 0183. Instead, I spent just a little more on a new SH-870 handheld VHF with built-in GPS and DSC--figuring that could be more helpful when the "stuff" is hitting the fan--power out, etc.

I apparently don't have the sounder/transducer in the perfect position on the transom, since I loose signal when I start to plane. But if I want to know the depth, I just need to slow down (and probably should).

Sorry--too much powerboat talk--even for the Admiralty.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/13/2018 15:39:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page