Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Reef rigging
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exf4gib
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/28/2018 :  08:10:42  Show Profile
The P.O. of my C-25 didn't install gear for reefing the main. My new loose-footed mainsail has luff and leech cringles as well as three 'inside' reefing cringles. I'm thinking of installing a double-hook device at the gooseneck for the luff reef cringle, and using a line, cheek block, clam cleet arrangement at the luff cringle. Anyone see an issue with this gameplan or have a better idea for reefing the main? For the time being, I'm not considering using the three "inside" reef point cringles for fear of tearing the main. If needed, guess I could run sail ties around the foot of the main and up through the reef cringles. Definitely wouldn't run any reef lines around the boom for fear of damaging the mains'l.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2018 :  08:58:40  Show Profile
You could add a reefing line for the forward cringle and several blocks to lead both lines into the cockpit. I didn’t do that myself but it is possible. Instead of a hook I have a short line that wraps on a mast cleat. Either way, you’d have to go up forward in lively conditions to reef the main. That’s always a challenge since we rarely prep to reef before conditions get bad enough to reef.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2018 :  09:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
On my 1979 Catalina 25 standard rig I installed single-line reefing for both first and second reef.

To reduce friction on the long, heavily loaded, second reef line snaking through several sharp turns, I used small Harken bullet blocks and reefing hooks at the cringles, rather than reeving the line itself through the sail. I reeved first reef through the sail to get it on the opposite side of the boom, and because it's shorter and less loaded. On the mast just ahead of the gooseneck, I ran both lines through the same metal-lined bullseye fairlead. I lead the lines back to the cockpit alongside the main halyard, topping lift, etc. I used line clutches for reefing lines and halyard, cam cleat for the 3:1 topping lift, 5:1 vang, and 4:1 main downhaul (sliding gooseneck version of cunningham).

This configuration allows me to reef without leaving the cockpit.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2018 :  09:34:30  Show Profile
I installed a single line reefing system. A small strap on the port side of the boom at the transom end, 3/16" line from there up through the reefing cringle on the leech, down to a turning block on the stbd side (level with the strap) and then forward to a turning block close to the gooseneck, up to the reefing cringle on the luff, down to a simple block at the mast step, across to a triple organizer and then along the side of the pop-top to a cam cleat. The crew could reef in about 30 secs and with a loose-footed main we NEVER used reef ties (in fact they weren't even installed!). The main halyard had a marker on it to show how much it had to be eased to begin reefing. (The triple organizer also held the jib halyard and the cunningham). All sail control lines were led back to the cockpit.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2018 :  13:30:04  Show Profile
On a loose-footed main, you can use the three "inside cringles" to bundle the sail, but don't tie the lines under the boom--just tie them under the foot of the sail.

I prefer two-line reefing, with both lines led to the cockpit. That allows the tack to be tightened before the clew, which reduces the chances of popping a slug out of the mast. With a loose foot (which I didn't have), it also gives you some control over the shape like you have with full sail.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/28/2018 13:32:32
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2018 :  09:28:59  Show Profile
My boat came with a single-line reefing system, and I added a cam cleat in the cockpit.

"Reef the mainsail before you have to!"

Two or three times I have been really grateful to the Association members who have emphasized the need to reef at the dock before heading out in strong winds.

Last summer I sailed down the bay in steady 30 knot winds after tucking in a single-reef at the dock and using my 60% storm jib. One of the crew thought that wasn't necessary, but he was happy when we were sailing comfortably in the 3 to 5 foot waves!

It's very hard and it's dangerous to reef the main when the boat is bouncing around in strong winds and chop.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2018 :  10:57:25  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
I sailed down the bay in steady 30 knot winds after tucking in a single-reef at the dock and using my 60% storm jib. One of the crew thought that wasn't necessary,

SINGLE REEF? Oh I see, standard rig. I was thinking that is definitely a double reef day till i saw your signature!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  21:10:53  Show Profile
Thanks all for your thorough and excellent reefing rigging advice! It will all serve me well going into this "mod" aboard "Lifted".

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page