Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Water Leaks from Lazerete: C250 aquarium
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2018 :  13:13:41  Show Profile
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r87Cob9J0F_gAn8N8RWt12VQJb3ZUGfr/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X6oTB6AedXzIUUgQmsR3ka7369Bu8NJQ/view?usp=sharing

water collects in port side laz on the other C250....

We cannot figure this out. But the water in the aft berth below can be coming from water through these fitting that are not meant to be water tight in a protected compartment. Water appears in the battery compartment that, then goes to the bilge ....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_3yrI2rIIWvPXGnWT5nKEDssVVnAMxxJ/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas? Tell me you guys see this.

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2018 :  17:09:23  Show Profile
Bump
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  15:58:05  Show Profile
Looking at your photos and your statements, here's your situation.
A) Water fills the Starboard compartment to the level of the Propane vent hose (the upper one in the picture).
B) The Propane vent hose is not sealed correctly, so the excess drains to the aft berth.
Notice the Propane supply hose (the lower one in the picture is sealed).
C) You are getting so much water it completely fills the bilge.

Questions:
When was the last time the compartment was dry?
How many days did it take to fill both the compartment and the bilge?
Where do you live that you get that much rain or snow melt?
Does the problem happen on the Port compartment too?

Suggestions:
On the Starboard compartment, try installing some type of rubber gasket between the compartment and the lid.
Try silicone or some other sealant around the Propane vent hose.
Remove the Propane tank, it's probably underwater and going to rust through.
Regarding the bilge, you might consider an electric bilge pump and hose.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  17:46:18  Show Profile
This is the weirdest Situation.....Only the Starboard compartment gets any water just about 1/4 miles south of Reagan National Airport.....I will do the seal thing....It was dry yesterday. The other compartment never gets wet. I was wondering if anyone else ever sees this on their C250. I cannot explain how water gets in there to begin with.....There is a lip...The other C250 gets some water but in the Port compartment...there has to be something else happeneing....The compartment under the sink where the cutout for the trash can sometimes gets water there but doesnt drain in to the bilge on both C250s.
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Looking at your photos and your statements, here's your situation.
A) Water fills the Starboard compartment to the level of the Propane vent hose (the upper one in the picture).
B) The Propane vent hose is not sealed correctly, so the excess drains to the aft berth.
Notice the Propane supply hose (the lower one in the picture is sealed).
C) You are getting so much water it completely fills the bilge.

Questions:
When was the last time the compartment was dry?
How many days did it take to fill both the compartment and the bilge?
Where do you live that you get that much rain or snow melt?
Does the problem happen on the Port compartment too?

Suggestions:
On the Starboard compartment, try installing some type of rubber gasket between the compartment and the lid.
Try silicone or some other sealant around the Propane vent hose.
Remove the Propane tank, it's probably underwater and going to rust through.
Regarding the bilge, you might consider an electric bilge pump and hose.

Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2018 :  14:00:41  Show Profile
Hi,

On my C250 the port side lazarette catches water from Rain etc. The issue for me is the lid is not quite square anymore. It blocks water from draining properly as it flows down the cockpit sides and it will fill the locker. Drove me batty for a while until I understood what was going on. You might have a similar issue. To remedy that I used a zip tie body under the lid to keep it up enough for some drainage and stop blocking the water flow down the side of the locker. It has worked fine so far. I get no water below but there's no fittings in the port side like on the starboard side with the propane locker.
-Kemp
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2018 :  21:29:50  Show Profile
We looked closer at what was going on on your boat and we notched the corers area to allow a small channel to drain down the sides....Thanks for the insight. I think you may have solved my problem!!!!
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2018 :  11:53:05  Show Profile
I thought I'd add my 2cents. When I initially bought my 250 WB, I would get water in the small bilge and near the ice chest when under way only. After a bit of digging, I found it was the lower propane tank vent which sits just above the normal water line. With a bit of heel and a body in the stbd stearn pulpit it was under water. I pulled the vent out, saw the obvious factory "whoops" with the seal, made a new seal and caulked it back in... dry ever since.

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page