Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 ADDING A 2nd battery in Parallel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2018 :  13:20:01  Show Profile
Here are some images of my current setup...nice clean setup...I don't really like the switch....because if anyone has to fiddle with this they have to crawl to the rear...

I want to add a 2nd battery.

any ideas....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eacEuO5PLic94h4FeT6GE650tUkqx_ND/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1047nNAmlvqNbznne0YgFITqNJLDyG0v9/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LWTQAANQd7PSEQ2dFhoGMdSGZCvzeEGw/view?usp=sharing

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2018 :  15:12:38  Show Profile
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Installing-a-Second-Battery

anyone use this little black box?
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2018 :  15:17:08  Show Profile
Nice clean setup but do you have to lay down in the quarterberth and shimmy over to flip the switch?
Is the switch a 1-2–both-off rotary switch? That would be ideal for two batteries.
While your setup is beautifully done, I’d recommend an in-line fuse for the positive terminal of the battery.
As well, boating regulations in many states require either that the battery be mounted inside a battery box or the owner cover the positive terminal of the battery with a rubber cover or electrical tape.
Any errant box wrench or screw driver could create a dangerous short.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2018 :  15:29:44  Show Profile
YES...have to squirm over to the switch, but right now I just leave it in the on position. I have that old school switch you refer to on the C25, and switch it on either odd or even days to use the alternating battery. I think I have inline fuses on the battery somewhere, i think it is in the yellow housing visible there. the battery(s) are enclosed in a plastic battery box with a cover and strapped down.

Are you able to see the pictures in the links? Thanks for looking...

BTW, we have USCG aux inspections and get a nice new sticker every year....

quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Nice clean setup but do you have to lay down in the quarterberth and shimmy over to flip the switch?
Is the switch a 1-2–both-off rotary switch? That would be ideal for two batteries.
While your setup is beautifully done, I’d recommend an in-line fuse for the positive terminal of the battery.
As well, boating regulations in many states require either that the battery be mounted inside a battery box or the owner cover the positive terminal of the battery with a rubber cover or electrical tape.
Any errant box wrench or screw driver could create a dangerous short.

Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  17:46:37  Show Profile
I think I think these things out too much...it is done.!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page