Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 VHF Radio Location
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JB
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/05/2018 :  12:36:00  Show Profile
Upgrading my vhf radio. The current radio is mounted under the steps. The new one has shorter mike cord so being that low is not as convenient. I generally just use the handheld anyway, but I was curious where people do other owners have their radio mounted?

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  13:00:39  Show Profile
Above the quartebeth with a mic clip just inside the companionway, but I usually hang a RAM mic from the backstay adjuster.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  15:51:50  Show Profile
Like Dave, Above the quarterbeth just inside the companionway.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  18:41:22  Show Profile
That’s where the VHF is on Passage, with an extension speaker in the gunwales cubby hole.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  19:10:52  Show Profile
Good question, JB! I often wonder the same. We purchased our C25 with its radio mounted to the starboard side of the stairs of the companionway within easy reach of the quarterberth, the stairs or the cabin. When we upgraded the radio we kept it simple and installed it using the same bracket without much thinking. Now, I too, wonder if there isn’t a better location like Dave’s, which is also helpful with ease of operation and reading all the data on the newer radio windows or screens.
Question for Islander, in viewing the photograph, below, can you write what the six, 6, bolts/nuts displayed in the cabin top are to/for? Possibly a winch and . . .
Many thanks!

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  04:11:10  Show Profile
The bolts are for the cabin top winches and a horn cleat. Forward of those are more for the Spinlock clutches.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  06:28:16  Show Profile
I’ve thought of mounting it in a few other spots but if you think about how you’d use a fixed mount rather than a handheld, it’s probably as good a spot as any.
Thoughts:
* Mounted to the bottom of the pop top - you can see it from the cockpit but where do you hide the cables?
* Mount it in the cockpit bulkhead - if there’s such thing as a waterproof fixed mount VHF, cut a rectangular hole in the bulkhead and mount it there.
* Mount it behind a waterproof plexiglass window in the bulkhead but feed the control knobs through.
* Mount it underneath the cockpit seats in the vertical area between the seat and the sole. Might need a cover for weather.
* Mount it in the gunwale cubby hole.

End of the day, you’d probably use a handheld from the cockpit for short range calling an oncoming boat, dialoging/coordinating with friends for a raft up, calling a bridge for an opening, calling a dock for gas or tie up. You’d use the fixed mount for longer range calling or for SOS to the USCG (God forbid) where you’d need full power and a long throw. You could do this from the companionway no problem.
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  08:35:27  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I can say I regret installing a traditional VHF radio.

I installed it above the quarterberth.

It gets in the way if I'm storing anything bulky in the quarterberth like sails in bags, lifejacket containers, sleeping bags etc and I always worry I'll snag something on the wires.

It makes an annoying alarm noise every time it's turned on because it's not hooked up to a GPS.

I can't reach it or hear it very well while skippering so if I need to request bridge clearance or contact the race committee I have to have someone else do it and I miss at least half of any instructions.

It's extra holes and wires in the boat.

I will pretty much never be so far out that I would actually need the extra range offered by the antenna, though I might be two or three times during the entire time I own the boat. Even still I won't ever go anywhere that isn't regularly trafficked and I do keep flares on-board.

I should probably get a handheld to use for races/bridge clearance duty and never turn the other one on.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  19:31:51  Show Profile
Scott - NICE swivel arm for the Garmin!

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  20:00:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HerdOfTurtles

I can say I regret installing a traditional VHF radio.

I installed it above the quarterberth.

It gets in the way if I'm storing anything bulky in the quarterberth like sails in bags, lifejacket containers, sleeping bags etc and I always worry I'll snag something on the wires.

It makes an annoying alarm noise every time it's turned on because it's not hooked up to a GPS.

I can't reach it or hear it very well while skippering so if I need to request bridge clearance or contact the race committee I have to have someone else do it and I miss at least half of any instructions.

It's extra holes and wires in the boat.

I will pretty much never be so far out that I would actually need the extra range offered by the antenna, though I might be two or three times during the entire time I own the boat. Even still I won't ever go anywhere that isn't regularly trafficked and I do keep flares on-board.

I should probably get a handheld to use for races/bridge clearance duty and never turn the other one on.

Many people tend to add the small antenna to the top of the mast which brings a whole host of things that can go wrong over time. Long cable runs, can possibly slap inside the mast, hard to work on if something stops working.

The option not many people think about using is mounting a tall antenna on the rear of the boat. Unless you are going waaay offshore (which most C25's never do) the 8' or 10' fiberglass antennas should give you more than enough range and has the advantages of short cable runs, can be removed when not in use, is easy to reach if/when a problem arises.

On the other hand, my Standard Horizon hand held reaches pretty much anywhere on Galveston Bay.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2018 :  10:12:56  Show Profile
My boat has the mounted VHF on the ceiling close to the rear starboard rear window, tucked in. I like it there, safe inside so no wave hits it.

Antenna mounted on the starboard rear railing, not sure I like it but that's how I bought it.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2018 :  11:17:53  Show Profile
FWIW, the USCG's new network of antennas is very sensitive, and their transmissions are at much higher wattage than our "civilian" radios, so I've found that communicating with them from a handheld is pretty reliable within quite a few miles out, probably just about anywhere along the coast. In my one incident on Long Island Sound, it sounded like they were talking to my hand-held from a boat next to mine. Various new handhelds have built-in GPS, DSC emergency transmission with lat/lon, water-activated strobe, and float. My new chartplotter isn't directly NMEA-compatible with my older fixed VHF for GPS coordinates, so I'm thinking seriously about replacing the antique handheld in my ditch bag for emergency purposes instead of spending the $$ on a NMEA converter. If the $#!+ hits the fan, a hand-held might be all I have.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2018 :  18:14:42  Show Profile
My mounted radio is where it was when I got Limerick -- on port side near galley. I never use it however as I rely on a handheld 6-wt that I have in the cockpit. I have many times thought about moving the mounted radio but decided that for my purposes -- coastal sailing within 7-12 miles of land, the handheld works just fine.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page