Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spreader Boot Size
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keats
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/15/2018 :  11:48:03  Show Profile
I plan on grabbing a pair of boots so I can replace them when I drop the mast.

Catalina Direct offers a pair for $51. They appear to be Taylor Made but they don't show the size.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/407_45/spreader-boot-kit-rubber-c-22-c-25-c-27.cfm

I'd rather save a few bucks and get them on Amazon. Question: Does the 1/2-1-Inch size fit the Catalina 25?

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Rubber-Spreader/dp/B002IV8538?th=1&psc=1#customerReviews

Thanks in advance.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2018 :  16:10:22  Show Profile
Those are to small. The spreader tubes are 1 1/4". I would try the medium size. 1-2".

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  06:31:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Those are to small. The spreader tubes are 1 1/4". I would try the medium size. 1-2".

Thanks Scott, I'll get those.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  06:44:01  Show Profile
As I recall my spreader boots were about 5” across where the upper shroud cable passes through, so they’re not small like on a 16-18 foot trailer sailer.
How do you plan to install them? Take down the mast with a gin pole or A-frame, or climb the 20 foot ladder standing on the deck?
I got lucky in my harbor. We have the city dock that has a bulkhead that’s about 10 feet off the high tide mark. At low tide I can reach my steaming light and spreaders standing up there.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 06/16/2018 06:47:30
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  07:45:33  Show Profile
Tim, The boots can be trimmed along where they are split with scissors or a razor knife if needed to make a perfect fit around the spreader tubes. You don't want them tight on the wires. The wires are supposed to slide up and down slightly. Same for the seising wire. When I replaced mine I put a toothpick against the wire then put the seising wire around both and when done I removed the toothpick.

Edited by - islander on 06/16/2018 07:46:33
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  18:40:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

As I recall my spreader boots were about 5” across where the upper shroud cable passes through, so they’re not small like on a 16-18 foot trailer sailer.
How do you plan to install them? Take down the mast with a gin pole or A-frame, or climb the 20 foot ladder...

My boat is on its trailer in the boat yard as I just finished deoxidizing/polishing/waxing. I'm cursed with a navy blue hull that was showing the chalk pretty badly but I've got it looking pretty sharp at the moment.

Anyway, I was planning on dropping the mast anyway (first time for me) as I want to switch out to LED lights and add a windex. Plus I need to drop it to get to the launch ramp. So it makes sense to replace the boots I think.

I built a gin pole and am planning on dropping next weekend.

As I was fitting it up, another 25 owner showed up to size up his mast dropping. We slapped my gin pole on his boat along with some side braces he had fashioned and did an impromptu dropping. Halfway down his side braces slipped out of the mast track and I had the whole mast as he was manning the winch from the ground. Fun. I'm not a tall person. It worked out though and I will be more deliberate in my planning. I also have a taller mast.

Now he's going to help me. Perfect.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  18:46:54  Show Profile
quote:

Tim, The boots can be trimmed along where they are split with scissors or a razor knife if needed...

Excellent, thanks I will take the time to trim them. The sun is fierce out here and I expect the old ones to be pretty baked.

Btw, I grew up across the Sound from you in Mamaroneck. I would love to sail there one day.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2018 :  09:09:11  Show Profile
How do the plastic boots compare to the leather boots?

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2018 :  18:35:15  Show Profile
You can dance better in leather boots.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2018 :  14:57:25  Show Profile
Funny. Any other opinions on the leather vs. plastic boots?

Amazon's price seems the way to go.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2018 :  16:44:16  Show Profile
I've had the same pair of plastic boots for 6-7 years, and they are still in good shape.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2018 :  17:53:30  Show Profile
Not a scientific opinion but my vinyl boot are 9 yrs strong. Again just my opinion that leather will get dry and brittle with the constant wetting and drying and UV damage. Ever see an old pair of leather gloves that were left outside? The vinyl is the same as they use for fenders, UV protection an will probably out last the rigging tape. Again just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2018 :  14:38:48  Show Profile
My plastic boots are about 18 years old, and the boat was in Santa Fe, New Mexico sitting as a trailer queen most of that time under the sunny NM sky. They still work but are getting crumbly. I guess 18 years is long enough.

quote:

Not a scientific opinion but my vinyl boot are 9 yrs strong. Again just my opinion that leather will get dry and brittle with the constant wetting and drying and UV damage. Ever see an old pair of leather gloves that were left outside? The vinyl is the same as they use for fenders, UV protection an will probably out last the rigging tape. Again just my opinion.

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page