Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Masthead light for 1980 Capri 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SFDavey
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/19/2018 :  14:12:12  Show Profile
I did a navigation light check and it doesn't look like I have a functional mast head light. I have the two color bow light and white stern light both functioning, but nothing up top.

On the 1980 model (Hull No. 40), was there even a mast light installed?

I will be stepping the mast next winter and doing a bunch of work on it to get it up to snuff. This could be added to the list.

Would a 360-degree LED lantern hoisted on the stay sail halyard work in the meanwhile...?

David
Capri 25, Hull #40

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2018 :  14:48:06  Show Profile
My 1985 model never had a light as far as I could tell but I think there was a switch for it on the power panel. It could have been an option. I've never missed it because I only used the boat for racing. If I'm not mistaken the mast head light is just used at anchor and is not a nav light. Some cruising sailors will undoubted correct or confirm this. I would think any light you hoist aloft while at anchor would work for that function and perhaps that was the original intent with this design. I also noted that I never had a stern nav light also, which I think is a requirement for night navigation, not sure why I had the bow light but no stern light. There is a hole in the center of the stern where I suppose one could have been mounted, just don't know as it was missing when I bought the boat. Hope you get a better answer from some others.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2018 :  19:08:07  Show Profile
The four navigation lights on a sailboat include a bow red/green (this could be one or two lights), stern white light, a white steaming light or bow light and an anchor light which is an all around white light mounted on the mast.
The bow red/green and stern white light must be visible for two nautical miles and illuminated any time the boat is under way either by sail or by power after dusk and before dawn.
The steaming light must be visible for 2 nm and illuminated any time the boat is under power after dusk and before dawn.
The anchor light must be visible for 2 nm and illuminated any time the boat is at anchor after dusk and before dawn.
The anchor light doesn’t have to be permanently mounted on the mast top, but must be raised most of the way up the mast.
The trick is that the lights must be visible up to 2 nm from the boat. Many LEDs and informal anchor lights don’t meet this requirement.
It should be said that all sailboats are subject to these regulations, not just cruisers. I’ve seen some racing boats that don’t have proper lights but which sail or motor at and after dusk. This happens quite often during the fall sailing season when sunset is around 6:30 pm. Anyone who violates these regulations is subject to fines in most US states. It can also be a danger to oneself and other boaters.
A satisfactory (but not necessarily legal) solution is clip-on red/green and stern lights. They’re like a couple of flashlights.For those rare instances that a racer finds themselves out after dusk this is a pretty good backup.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 06/20/2018 19:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2018 :  06:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage
My 1983 had a steaming light mounted on the mast. I replaced it with a model that had a steaming light and a downward pointing deck light. If my poor memory serves me correctly the steaming light also indicates that you are a sailboat thus you should have right of way to powerboats

Fleet
Kamikaze
1983 Hull #397
Lake Guntersville, AL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page