Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Hull 922 - Salon Table
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/10/2018 :  07:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings:

The salon table in Hull 922 that came with the boat is a very nice table but it did not sit well for me... table too long, not wide enough, heavy, too low on the pedestal, just did not work for me. I took it off the boat never to return.

After dealing with a few other fixes on the boat it came time to redo the salon table.

The new table is fabricated from red oak and walnut...

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2018 :  13:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ability to customize is one of the likeable things about boating as a hobby.

I see what you did and I like the outcome...

Best,

Carl

quote:
Originally posted by WK 727

First, I gotta say that the original table is beautiful! I hope someone on this site wants it, if it never returns to your vessel. I went a slightly different direction and cut my PO custom table down in size. The standard size was so difficult to slide around that I trimmed it. I prefer the smaller size and more room. Cabin tables are one of the most customized features and shows everyones personal preferences. By the way, your new table is striking and serves your purpose well. Thanks for sharing. John

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2018 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the original table available? I'm up in Morro Bay with a WB, but I think the support mechanism from mine (different structure than WK) will transfer.

WB #312
Morro Bay, CA

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

LSM
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
14 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2018 :  10:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does any one have the dimensions of a table either the one that was built or the original? I am a new owner and apparently the PO did not get a table from the PO. All we have is the little table that is attached permanently.

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity
Calgary, AB

Edited by - LSM on 10/04/2018 13:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Lehooks
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2018 :  15:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her is what we did with the large table..

2002 250WK #580 Waco, TX
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2019 :  13:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LeHooks, I saved the pictures you posted. They are right this minute serving as a guide for someone to do the same work. your design seems to be based on a similar thread from 2011 by "TakeFive." I was wondering if your design has withstood the test of time in a marine environment, and if there are any details which in hindsight you would change.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669

Edited by - frejoh on 04/09/2019 13:28:25
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  13:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After months of waiting, my woodworker expert informs me he is not confident of the durability of this design mod to the salon table.
Can anyone comment on any durability issues? If they have held up, I'll find another guy and use the same design.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  14:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frejoh

After months of waiting, my woodworker expert informs me he is not confident of the durability of this design mod to the salon table.
Can anyone comment on any durability issues? If they have held up, I'll find another guy and use the same design.

I call BS on your woodworker's opinion. It sounds like he's backing out because he's too busy. Why else would he be saying this after keeping you waiting for 5 months?

I did the modification in early 2012, and sold the boat (in 2 days) 4.5 years later. In that time there were zero problems with its durability. It was the best upgrade I ever did to the boat, because it kept the great space offered by the original table (with the leaves up), but allowed significantly improved access to the storage under the forepeak and port and starboard settees. It also allowed us to sleep in the A-berth in a feet-forward position without knocking our elbows, shoulders, or heads on the table.

You can read more details about how to do the work, and where to get some of the parts, here:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=24328&whichpage=2

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page