Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 KISS -- Keep It Simple, Sailor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlMo
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/13/2018 :  22:23:03  Show Profile
The manual for my 1978 (pre-1988) C25 is complete in many ways (electric, rigging, mast stepping, trailering) but I have found some missing info, that I'm hoping this forum can help me with. I am referring to hardware on the mast and boom:

• Can I add a winch to the mast without too much effort? Does CD have such items?
  • How about some diagonal cleats that a neighbor's 1979 C25 has four of? I have noticed they seem to have "opposing" holes and through bolts, but I am very wary about drilling through the mast without guidance (from the factory preferably), but cleating halyards on the mast versus clam cleats on the cabin top seems simpler and cleaner
  • Any idea what the stainless cable coming down from the top of the mast and paralleling the backstay does? If I didn't know better, I would say it's an "uphaul" as it has a block at the end. As configured, it seems to work in opposition to the boom vang, which I know didn't ship with all C25s in that period
  • I am curious what the 4-6 small pulleys/blocks running down the starboard side of the boom are all for; one at least is for the outhaul, one may be for the aft reefing line, leaving the two forward ones question marks, perhaps they are for the forward reef line

If anyone here has a fully rigged 1978 model and could send pix of their boom and lower mast tackle, it would be appreciated!
Many thanks,
Alex

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2018 :  22:41:27  Show Profile
Third bullet is answered by https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-use-a-topping-lift-2915481 and apparently "uphaul" is a (rarely used) synonym for "topping lift.

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2018 :  23:01:34  Show Profile
Sorry for two responses to my own post; It looks like the topping lift line routes forward and secures via a clam cleat (hate 'em!!) so may help me understand the surplus line hanging off the boom as well as starting me down the boat-wide crusade of replacing all clammies with either cam cleats or more conventional "horn" cleats

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2018 :  05:29:00  Show Profile
Where were the halyards cleated and raised previously? I'm sure the boats been rigged before, right?

You can certainly add winches and cleats to the mast, but if you're already at that point I don't see why not just put them on the cabin top to the cabin. By far one of the best things I did in my opinion to my boat.

Here's a couple threads from when I was working through and getting some guidance on the topic:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=29100&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=running%2Crigging

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=28916&SearchTerms=mast

Here are a couple diagrams that helped me plan routes and calculate line lengths:

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2018 :  07:24:31  Show Profile
I suspect your manuals look incomplete because your cam-cleats and some rigging were added by POs (or possibly the original dealer). I don't think Catalina put cams on C-25s, at least up to 1985. Bill Holcomb, a past dealer here, would know... (BILL??) My '85 had horn cleats on the mast--one on each side for the halyards and one in the mast track for the down-haul from the gooseneck, on the boom for the topping lift and reefing lines, and on the coamings for the jib sheets. It also had a winch on the port side of the mast which I used for the jib halyard. I'm not sure what was original and what was added. I added hardware to lead the main halyard and other stuff to the cabin-top by the cockpit.

The cable from the mast-head to the boom-end is a topping lift, used to hold the boom up when raising or lowering the sail, and after it's down. It can be made adjustable in several ways, including a block at the boom-end and a cleat on the boom, but that would require a rope tail. (My topping lift was all rope.)

Cheek blocks and cleats forward of the boom end are probably for reefing lines--a block for a reef-clew line (aft) should be aft of the reef clew (grommet) on the sail so it tensions the foot when reefed. A reef tack line (through the grommet by the mast) can be cleated on the mast. One line can do both jobs ("single-line reefing"), which I don't prefer... Reefing setups are a whole subject to themselves--you can use the Search function above to find more threads than you want to read on this.

All of these questions are on pretty generic issues that you can find information on in numerous sailing books, as well as here. Catalina's factory rigging was pretty basic, and owners had added lots of things to these boats over their long history.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/14/2018 07:27:27
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2018 :  09:22:13  Show Profile
Very nice, Rob! Those diagrams help a great deal. And point taken on leaving the blocks on too of cabin, there is a wealth of owner installation that looks targeted toward single handing, a good thing!

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2018 :  13:18:12  Show Profile
I have a used mast winch for sale. It is in good condition and serviced before I put it away

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page