Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Digital Depth Sounder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/14/2018 :  08:54:16  Show Profile
I purchased a Hawkeye digital depth sounder for my 25 TR-SK. I'm thinking of installing the in hull transducer forward of my keel. Soliciting any opinions, experiences, and suggestions? Thanks.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2018 :  10:11:54  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Installing using a glob of a toilet bowl wax ring is an easy in-hull install method. If it turns out you do not get a signal, you can easily relocate a few inches or more away and try again. While it would seem to be a temporary install, this method can actually work for years and years , flawlessly. I installed mine over 10 years ago and have never had to rebed it, etc.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2018 :  11:49:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

...Soliciting any opinions, experiences, and suggestions? Thanks.

I put in a Raymarine i40 BiData which came with two through hull sensors. I installed them exactly where Larry has the two abandoned white sensors in his photo above.

I did some research and sought advice as you are doing and many cautioned against putting holes in when there are other options. The toilet ring wax method is widely used and I hear you have to try to eliminate air pockets in the wax but it definitely works.

In the end I went through the hull because I wanted to. It's worked well so far and the readings are accurate and responsive. I did pause for a bit with the 2" hole saw in my hands but I took my time and used quality sealant.

I like the sensors ahead of the keel though some will tell you aft of the keel is fine. Our lake is a flooded reservoir with submerged cliffs, canyons and rapid depth changes so it helps at low speeds anyway to have a better idea of what's coming up ahead.

If you put in a depth sensor only, I would put it on starboard of the hull centerline, aft of the seacock. This reserves the port side for a future speed sensor and ensures a smooth, uninterrupted hull surface ahead of the paddle wheel sensor.

Also, check your sensor cable length. The Raymarine kit had ample cable to get back to the companionway bulkhead.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 08/15/2018 14:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2018 :  13:43:40  Show Profile
Thank you for your suggestions and experiences. All the best.
Joe Henderson

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2018 :  14:57:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Installing using a glob of a toilet bowl wax ring is an easy in-hull install method. If it turns out you do not get a signal, you can easily relocate a few inches or more away and try again. While it would seem to be a temporary install, this method can actually work for years and years , flawlessly. I installed mine over 10 years ago and have never had to rebed it, etc.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2018 :  14:58:45  Show Profile
Larry in your photo, is this the area forward of the head toward the bow?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2018 :  16:50:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

Larry in your photo, is this the area forward of the head toward the bow?

Yes, it's just inside the door under the V-berth. I have mine in the same spot using the wax ring method and it works great.

You don't want to get air mixed into the wax so the best way is to break off a piece bigger than you need and shove the sending unit straight down into the wax. Might need to twist it back and forth just a little bit. If you get a reading you're golden. If not try gently repositioning the sending unit.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/16/2018 16:51:09
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2018 :  03:11:27  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary and I have same year boat and so we have identical location of transducer. I mean it makes sense - That is where the other transducers are located. By the way, I forget which one but one of the existing transducers is the old depth finder transducer and so I just snipped off it's wires (which you cannot see from above photo). (The other existing transducer is for my knotmeter - That transducer is still working. I had the meter overhauled and transducer replaced awhile ago.)

Here is another photo of the area under the VBerth w/transducers, one with wires snipped - I had built a clear plastic enclosure/shelf in that area, so one can throw life preservers, etc into that area without concern regarding the transducers, etc since they would be protected by the shelf/contained area. The view is looking down thru the VBerth covers.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2018 :  11:15:20  Show Profile
Depth finder transducer is on the port side looking forward. At least on mine. Looks like yours may be reversed.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2018 :  14:06:09  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
You are right! So....I guess there are some small differences.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page