Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Head/Porta Potty Smells
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k3fuller
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/17/2018 :  10:09:19  Show Profile
Hello,
It still being summer here in the south (90+ degrees) we are getting a lot of odor from our Porta Potty / Head area. I’ve added tank additive/deodorizer but that doesn’t seem to help much. I don’t know if the factory installed porta potties (2004 250 WB) but this one looks rather old – at least the hoses look ancient and there’s rust on the hold down SS screws and bracket. It’s a sanipotty 965MSD. It was about ¾ full so I had it pumped out a week ago Saturday and then everything smelled even worse! I’m wondering if I’m getting odor permeation from these old hoses and when I pumped it out that coated the hose in fresh effluent. The hoses are clear and don’t look like sanitation hose, rather they look like my pool pump hose. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was thinking about replacing the hoses as a couple feet of sanitation hose isn’t very expensive. Hopefully the links to the pictures will come through…

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xNyh-dVxiZ9gR2LkF4p3iKzjgtDy1AlV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gcDqOXwqmlZOgcl3_k31nOnEj8wlgQTf

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GuSBkBfTPP8xyvLmTCTIoemiIDcAp_x1

2004 250WB #781

Edited by - k3fuller on 09/17/2018 10:11:54

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  20:13:48  Show Profile
Good chance your are correct in your assumption. Sounds like it's time to replace the old hoses.

In the future rather than use lake water if you will carry a jug of fresh tap water and use it to flush you won't get the smell problems (or at least not as bad).

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 09/17/2018 20:17:06
Go to Top of Page

FrankV
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  06:06:01  Show Profile
I have been toying with the idea of running the fresh water tank into the toilet. Not as much smell, don't have to worry about flooding the boat. Doesn't look too hard to do.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  06:46:37  Show Profile
Pouring fresh water into the head for flushing is a great idea.

Hard-piping the potable water system directly to the head, not so much. "What could possibly go wrong?"

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 09/18/2018 15:12:26
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  07:26:08  Show Profile
With the sink there she can flush using a glass of fresh water... I'm not convinced that the integrated tank doesn't leak small amounts of water down into the holding tank area. It filled up pretty quick this summer and while used, it wasn't used that much... I expect some smell from it all, just not as much as I have had. Not sure I would want to pipe the fresh water tank to it. I could see doing that with a marine head but not a porta potty. :-)

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  07:40:49  Show Profile
I agree that using environmental flush water might be a problem. I have read that urine contains ammonia, and the ammonia can be released when combined with some chemicals in flush water.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  10:24:02  Show Profile
"Environmental" water is especially a problem if it's salt water. Every boat I've been in that has one has a characteristic sulfurous smell. Fresh water from a lake might be carrying too much organic matter... But if you're getting effluent on the hose when you pump out, it sounds like you need a new hose (two if you have a vent hose) and new connection clamps. The right stuff is white and ex$pensive by the foot, but a critical component. I'd also check the condition of the seals around the flush slider and between the bowl and the tank. I don't know if they're easily replaceable or if you need a new unit.

My current head is sort of a hybrid between a plumbed-in porta-potty and a standard marine head--it is a ceramic bowl mounted on a 9-gallon plastic tank, fed by my pressure fresh-water system and plumbed to a deck fitting and topside vent. Pull the petal up to put some water in the bowl, and push it down to flush--very simple for guests, and unobjectionable to the lady in my life. (Porta-potties don't go over very well with some folks.) It has made no noticeable odors in the 12 seasons I've had it. It's the Sealand 711--I don't know whether it would fit in either the C-250 or C-25 space.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/18/2018 10:27:44
Go to Top of Page

FrankV
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  11:18:23  Show Profile
My mistake I thought this was for a marine head. I have never seen a porta potty plumbed in. I have a marine head.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  15:17:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FrankV

My mistake I thought this was for a marine head. I have never seen a porta potty plumbed in. I have a marine head.

I wouldn’t hard pipe a potable water system into a marine head either. Call me superstitious, but the consequences of a backward leak are too vile.

Just use a cup to pour in the fresh water.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 09/18/2018 18:18:32
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  18:15:13  Show Profile
My boat is in saltwater and when I first bought it the PO was kind enough to leave the holding tank full and didn't bother to tell me. On top of that he had apparently always used water from the bay to flush it.

It took me a while to figure out why it always smelled. Finally got it pumped out and the smell was better but still there. Not knowing any better I continued using bay water. Finally someone on this site advised to use fresh water to flush.

I can honestly say my boat has never had a smell from the head since! Other things, yes. LOL

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page