Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Tiller Tamer Quick Mount
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keats
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/15/2018 :  11:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did read on some earlier threads here about the pros and cons of Tiller Tamers and similar products. Of course, I would like a small autopilot unit someday but I can't justify it on an inland lake. I just want to hold course somewhat to go below for a beverage, adjust something or hold while motoring and dropping the sails.

So I bought a Tiller Tamer at WM as I felt it would greatly help with single handing and be a better solution than lashing the tiller to the pushpit stanchions, which I have been doing.

But I wanted to be able to remove the unit when I didn't need it and wanted to be able to continue to slip on the tiller cover while in the slip.

So I bought a 1/4" push-button quick release pin and a couple of receptacles. I shortened and rounded the end of a 1/4" clevis pin and used it to locate one hole on the TT and used the QR pin on the center hole.

Everything is stainless steel and I had some shims on hand to reduce free-play. Turns out one shim did the trick.

I tried it out right after and was very happy with it. It's locked firmly in place but pops off with a push of the button and can be easily stowed with the pin retained in it so it can't be lost.

Of course, I spent more on SS hardware than I did on the Tiller Tamer.

Here's some pics:

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2018 :  16:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I have a tiller tamer and as you said, Poor man's auto pilot. One thing is that line they give you is junk. I replaced mine with 1/4" double braid. Mucho better.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2018 :  18:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I replaced mine with 1/4" double braid.

[p] Thanks Scott, I'll ditch the line as well.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2018 :  20:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s a nice idea, the ability to remove a Tiller Tamer with the push of a button. This is a great application for your Quick Release pin.

On Passage, I kept it a little simpler. The tiller handle already had a receptacle for a tiller extension handle, and the receptacle is located right at the business end of the tiller.

I got a long stainless steel bolt, two fender washers, two nuts and a wing nut and put them together as follows:

I put one fender washer on the bolt, then I put a nut on the bolt, then another fender washer, then another nut. This makes the two washers look like a pulley, but it doesn’t rotate. I took that assembly into the receptacle.

On the bottom, I put the wing nut and tightened the whole thing so it does not spin.

Then I tied a 1/4” line to my starboard rear cleat, gave the line one CCW wrap around the two fender washers, then tied the other end of the line to the opposite cleat.

I use a rolling hitch to snug up the line. That allows the tiller to stay put, but if I want to adjust it, I can. I put a little wax on the line to give it some “stiction”.

I have a few pictures on Flickr

This arrangement will hold the boat pretty well for minutes at a time because it has a little negative feedback to counter slight course variations.

Here’s a few photos:
https://flic.kr/p/uGPenc

https://flic.kr/p/uGP1MH

https://flic.kr/p/u3pYU2

I think it cost me $15 in SS parts.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/15/2018 20:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2018 :  07:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went even simpler (and cheaper). I bought a 7' length of bungee cord and added a hook at each end. Put one hook on a stern cleat, took 2 wraps around the tiller and hooked the other end to the other stern cleat. It can be adjusted with a push and stays in the new position.Worked well for over 20 years.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2018 :  08:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the same, with maybe 3 wraps. Momentary course adjustments (like tacks) were made just by holding the wraps and pushing the tiller, stretching the bungee on one side. Steady course adjustments were by grabbing the wraps and twisting them on the tiller. The whole thing could be slackened just by sliding the wraps aft on the tiller, and re-engaged by pulling them forward. No hardware, no holes, simple storage, and very little to WM.

BTW, a little sun screen lotion helped preserve the bungee over the years.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2018 :  08:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that the line will chafe quickly where it exits the tamer and rubs on the plastic edge. Over time that edge will wear down to a sharp edge and increase the chaffing. I added a plastic fairlead I found at WM ( actually a mast eye pad) so the line exits the tamer straight.https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--pe-1-lexan-mast-padeye--111567

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2018 :  10:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I added a plastic fairlead...

That looks like a good idea.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2019 :  03:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I use. It works well and is super easy to lock and un-lock.

http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page