Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailering with outboard?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlMo
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/22/2018 :  10:32:52  Show Profile
I am wondering if it is safe to trailer with the outboard hanging off the back. Is about 150 lb, a Suzuki 9.9 with electric start. Looks like it could be a real hazard going over bumps but it is pretty heavy for putting on and off the boat during trailering. Any ideas?

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2018 :  11:37:18  Show Profile
I'd have some concerns also but I don't trailer my boat. It is a lot of weight. Possibly you could put a ratchet strap around the mount and around the base of the stern rail to take some of the strain off.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2018 :  13:39:39  Show Profile
I don't think you have much choice. I had a 79 lb motor and needed help to mount it or remove it from my fin keel boat. Maybe 2 really strong men could hoist yours onto the motor mount on a swing keel boat, but it would be difficult at best.

I'd suggest you leave it on the mount, with the motor tilted up as much as possible. When it's tilted, the power head, which is the heaviest part of the motor, moves inboard, towards the transom and directly above the motor mount. That moves the lever arm forward and off the mount. Then I'd use a strap to take some of the load off the mount, as Scott suggested, and attach a line to the end of the prop shaft to support it a little. Finally, I'd make sure the mounting screws are tight to the mount, and attach a safety line to catch the motor in case it jumps off the mount. Then just avoid hard bumps.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2018 :  13:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Alex, this has been discussed here in the past. Here are links to several threads. A lot of ideas have been advanced, but the general consensus seems to be that it can be done safely if the motor is well-secured. Adding backing plates, particularly on the inside of the transom to spread the outward load from the upper bolts, would be advisable for extended trailering.

Hope this helps address your concerns.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=20931&SearchTerms=trailering,with,outboard

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=16572&SearchTerms=trailering,with,outboard

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27155&SearchTerms=trailering,with,outboard

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19659&SearchTerms=trailering,with,outboard

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12660&SearchTerms=trailering,with,outboard

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2018 :  19:03:49  Show Profile
I trailered 2000 mi/year in 2 round trips with the motor on the transom, up, and motor and mount secured to the stern rail. Since it takes very little effort to tilt the motor, I suspect the long lever arm to the lower unit probably offsets the mass of the powerhead and very little benefit comes from tilting and not changing the center of mass. The only downside to tilting is putting the lower unit a little farther out towards following traffic. Do what makes you most comfortable, but definitely shift some load to the stern rail. I take it off now because my silly, 4X4 truck sits so high that the XLS motor stands so high in the bed that it practically falls onto the mount.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2018 :  19:38:48  Show Profile
I also trailer with my Nissan 9.8 left on the motor mount. However, I use a couple ratchet straps to help secure it so that the bouncing is not an issue. Also the mount is secured to the transom with large backing plates to help spread the load.

Mark-
'Impulse...’
1978 C25 #533 SR/DIN/FIN ~_/)~
Bakersfield, CA.
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  05:07:38  Show Profile
I did not have any issues trailering from Washington NC to Charleston SC, nor from Charleston to Lake Murray SC. 9.9 2-stroke. I inspected but did not do anything "special."

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page