Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lowering entire swing keel for resurfacing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

myersge1
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/11/2018 :  07:20:39  Show Profile
I'm going to haul out my boat to my trailer this coming spring to check and redo the bottom anti-fouling and fix whatever else I might find. In an attempt to be prepared, I'm looking at ways to lower the entire swing keel just in case it needs to be ground and new barrier coat applied. I've seen some pictures of supports and cradles made out of wood to hold the swing keel in place while lowering with a hydraulic car jack. I've also read about using long threaded rods but no pictures or thorough explanation of how this works. Is anyone familiar with the long threaded rod method?

I assume you replace the hanger bolts one at a time with 2'-3' threaded rods and then back off the nuts in turn until the keel is fully exposed. That sounds like a good way to lower it but I'll still need some kind of support/cradle to lower the keel into so that I can disconnect and replace the cable and hinge pin.

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2018 :  14:01:30  Show Profile
I used the all thread rod several times and it works great . I made a form that allowed the keel to slide into and held it upright . A jack
could help especially peace of mind . The wooden form is almost a must, you don' want a 1500 lb keel falling sidewise on you!!!
Go to Top of Page

myersge1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2018 :  17:45:57  Show Profile
Great. It's good to know that the all thread method does work. I'll definitely build a wooden frame to hold it upright while I inspect/redo the top half of the keel and the trunk area.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2018 :  07:16:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Law

...you don't want a 1500 lb keel falling sidewise on you!!!

...or even just ending up flat on the ground.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page