Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Map Your Boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

1519 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/15/2019 :  11:18:19  Show Profile
I clicked on the "Map Your Boat" link on the left and got a surprising notice, but no map. Have I actually visited this site 100 times over the last number of years? Is the map still active for other members?

Maximum visits allowed for maps without a paid plan is 100 visits.

This map is currently frozen. To unfreeze, please Upgrade the account that owns this map to one of our paid plans for more visits.

In case the map is not owned by any account, Sign-Up for the service and claim the map with a paid account.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2019 :  11:24:36  Show Profile
John...perhaps it is 100 visits total by all users, not just you.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2019 :  11:59:52  Show Profile
Looks like the map was set up by someone here who wasn’t or no longer is a paid subscriber to Zeemaps, and they are counting all accesses. It appears maybe if the association paid up, the map would become available on an unlimited basis. (?)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2019 :  12:13:38  Show Profile
It appears the annual cost is $199. Perhaps we should take a straw poll to see how much our members actually use it. If the members consider it useful, it wouldn't be a huge expense.

I recently realized I was paying over $60. a month for some online services I seldom use, so I terminated them. After you start a service, you tend to not re-think your usage, even though the costs increase.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2019 :  04:24:50  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have used the map infrequently. Once in awhile out of curiosity as to where everyone is geographically located and perhaps a few times when I was going to be travelling and potential for hooking up with a fellow association member. I would be surprised if I accessed it more than 10-15 times and that is from mid-2005 to present, over 13 years !

While nice to view on a map, perhaps a database would suffice, similar to the list of boat owners but instead, arranged by state and then by body of water and town the boat is located. Then owner info.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2019 :  04:42:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

While nice to view on a map, perhaps a database would suffice, similar to the list of boat owners but instead, arranged by state and then by body of water and town the boat is located. Then owner info.

Good idea. If the database was searchable, based on the criteria Larry suggests, it would serve the same purpose.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2019 :  15:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
"This map is currently frozen. To unfreeze, please Upgrade the account that owns this map to one of our paid plans for more visits.

In case the map is not owned by any account, Sign-Up for the service and claim the map with a paid account."

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  03:28:08  Show Profile
How would you structure the database?
For example, my boat is in Milford Harbor. That’s part of Long Island sound in CT USA. Someone else might be in Kings Cove on Lake Ontario in Ontario, Canada. Would we list the locality, then waterbody, then state, then country, then latitude and longitude?
If we ever wanted to convert it to a graphic format with a map overlay,that Lat & Long would be essential.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  04:57:33  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Having the map would be much better to identify actual location. But you would have to factor in is it worth it for the Association to fork over an annual fee for a map service that is most likely underused or infrequently used at best. A database is a compromise for establishing a work around using a map for a fee. It would not be ideal but probably could be constructed by one of our computer gurus. I see it developed with following order - First by State, then body of water (specific lake, river, bay, ocean, etc) and then by town. It would not pinpoint a boat within say a few miles but would provide a close enough proximity to where the boat is located. For example, a boat could be designated as being in Virginia, Chesapeake Bay, Chincoteague. That would provide a close enough approximation to where the boat is located. it would serve the purpose if one were to be visiting the area and wanted to know wo owned a boat in that nearby area or for those that were curious as to where one of our members had his/her boat docked. The actual marina or street address could also be listed but drilling down that far may not be necessary or desired....depending on the inputs received from the membership.

A database was suggested not because it would be better or equal to a map but because there appears to now be a charge to have or maintain a Map service. A database would just be a work-around that would still provide beneficial info as to vicinity, not exact location of the boat....and that may be sufficient info considering that many probably did not utilize the Map to any great extent, when it was available for free.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 01/18/2019 05:11:36
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  06:54:37  Show Profile
Country should also be listed for our friends in the US, Canada, Down Under and Across the Pond. Lat Long with N/S and E/W @ 2 decimal points would be sufficient for future migration to a graphical representation. A data entry form should be easy enough to setup.

Boat Name _________
Boat Model _________
Keel Type _________
Rig Type _________
Port Name __________
Waterbody __________
City ___________
State/Province _______
Postal Code ________
Country _________
Latitude N/S ___.__
Longitude E/W _____.__ (add leading zero if less than 100)
Marina (optional) ___________

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 01/18/2019 06:56:17
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  07:36:38  Show Profile
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/
Public access - no fee; Easily managed and shared for others to view.

I've worked with other ESRI products but have not used storymaps. I did log on, however, to check it out and it very well could serve our purpose. I'm up to my neck in alligators this morning but will look into it this evening.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  08:04:08  Show Profile
The "map your boat" function showed up here in December 2010. At first there was quite a bit of interest in it. But, when you think about it, if we have only reached our 100 visit limit on free access by December 2018, that doesn't reflect much long term interest in it. $200. isn't a lot of money if the members really want it and will use it, but if not, we can probably put our $200. per year to a better use.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  10:01:24  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
all great comments!

No time right now at work to check out the other map link - but maybe hat ill work. As far as a database, the addl parameters sound like a good idea that potentially expands the database usefulness.

I was not sure how far back the existing Map originated - 2010.....and only reached 100 times accessed in 2018. Not much use was made.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2019 :  17:07:50  Show Profile
I'm afraid nix on the ESRI Storymap product. This free app offers some nice teasers but very limited database functionality. As I understand it, each record is limited to an image, lat/lon geotag, and a little descriptive text. The subscription version is a functional GIS with capability to import MS Excel, Access or ... files but at a cost of $500 per year. My apologies for jumping the gun.

Edited by - glivs on 01/18/2019 17:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2019 :  08:47:13  Show Profile
I like the map functionally, a picture truly is worth 1000 words. You can see right off the bat where your neighbors are and the places that our members flock to, and stay away from in droves. If you’re traveling, it can give you insights into where the cool kids hang out.

But, a searchable database or spreadsheet can give you as much or more info given a bit of looking. Google sheets, Sharepoint and Dropbox all can host these data.

What would be helpful is a forms-based data entry tool with error checking that would submit the data to a file. This way users could change their own data without inadvertently changing others’.

I believe sharepoint supports that.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 01/19/2019 08:50:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page