Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cockpit cushions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roamer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/21/2019 :  12:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need new cockpit cushions for my boat. I'm curious about the Catalina Direct closed cell foam product. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they comfortable? Are they slippery when wet? Are they durable?

Thx, Roamer

fadeaway: 1984 TR/FK Trad

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  07:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m interested as well. I bought some large cooler top seat covers from Coleman a few years back: closed cell foam with soft vinyl covers, They look very similar to those pictured on CD. They each cost about $50 at the time, so for ~$200 plus tax, they were absolutely fine.

In my case however I had four cushions: Two of them laying end-to-end covered the entire seat. Two on each side.

Quick online search and here’s something...

http://www.boatersland.com/seachoice-76811-cooler-cushion-48-quart-snap-vcro.html

The nice thing about each cushion being around 3 ft long (instead of 6ft long) is you can stack them and easily find a place to store them below when you’re done sailing. Keeps them out of the weather and out of sight.

The trouble is they’re thin at about 3” thick and your legs stick to the vinyl in the heat of summer. I find I still needed individual deck and patio fabric seat pads on top.

They’ve lasted about 6 seasons, but now they’re tired and show signs of wear and stains.
If I were handy with a sewing machine, I’d construct some fabric slip covers for them.

Looking at the CD units, they’d be fine if you could add slip covers, or get some individual cloth seat pads.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 01/23/2019 07:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  07:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My problem with cockpit cushions, especially full length ones, is that they are constantly sliding off the seat onto the cockpit floor when the boat heels. When they slide off, they're so big that they cover the floor, making it hard to move around. I prefer using throwable cushions. Each person who uses one is responsible for controlling it. If one slides onto the floor, it doesn't obstruct the whole cockpit floor. They also comply with USCG requirements for a throwable pfd. When they're not in use, they're easier to stow, as opposed to two 6' long cushions.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Roamer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve- I like your idea- on my old boat, I used the throwables as a back rest because the coaming was so short. Sitting directly on the fiberglass cockpit seat doesn't bother me. When I bought my C25, I got a pair of really beat up cushions, and have thought about replacing them, but I think I'll forget about it and just throw the old ones in the trash. New ones are so expensive!!

fadeaway: 1984 TR/FK Trad
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to see over the cabin top and also lean back when cruising, so I picked up a few sofa cushions from a bin at a nearby Salvation Army store, covered them with white vinyl, and use 2 as backrests against the lifeline stanchions and 2 as seat bottoms. I sewed on 2 velcro straps on the backrest cushion that loop around the horizontal tubing of the pushpit.

They make sailing very comfortable, especially since I can put my feet up on the opposite side when heeling and have good support for my back, legs, and feet. I must say, with these cushions in place the cockpit fits me like a glove! I can lean back and relax. I taped on rubber non-skid rectangles to the bottoms of the seat cushions to keep them from sliding off. That works up to a point - New invention needed here, like retaining cords held on the coaming!

I made these in the first springtime after I bought the boat in November, 2005, and they have lasted since then. They are not throwable, they do not float, but they are, in fact, dedicated seat cushions with backrests.

I posted this photo in 2010 for a similar discussion and found it in my Shutterfly albums. I have not seen anything as thick or as comfortable for sale anywhere!!!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  14:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have been tempted over the years with the CD or similar cockpit cushions. However between sticking to vinyl on a hot summer day and, as mentioned, the housekeeping challenges when heeling, I have opted to simply use large beach towels folded so they provide a little cushion on long sails or can be redeployed if needed to cover legs/knees when the sunburn sets in.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  19:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Mother, Thanks Mom,, sewed simple slip covers and I bought closed cell foam to fill them.
I still have a couple of covers and the foam seems to last forever.
They are the width of the seat but they are only 2' long. I have been looking at outdoor cushions for benches and porch swings.
Take a kook at the link and let me know what you think.
BTW I think a couple of pieces of velcro would hold them except in a blow.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/45inchoutdoorbenchandswingcushion.cfm

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2019 :  20:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Americana Stripe!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/24/2019 :  04:29:44  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had an upholsterer that was recommended based on his restoring of cushions for antique cars and large boats replace all my cushions, inside and out. I decided to stay with the long, one piece cushions for the cockpit but went for a denser foam so they do not compress quite as much as the original cushions. I have been satisfied with them and they mostly stay put...maybe slide a bit off the seats but not that much. For the outside cushions, it was recommended I stay with a very light , white color so they do not heat up so much. I went with what they called a Titanium white. It has a faint pattern but definitely white cushions. My inside cushions, the upholsterer indicated I could re-use the foam as it had no mildew smell and were in very good condition. The upholsterer steamed them and I had them covered with a blue crisscross stripe type pattern. I had this done the other year. Including the outside cushions and all interior cushions including the ones for my extended bunk, it came out to 13 cushions ! Very satisfied with the replacements but cost quite a bit. I need to take photos and update my website photos which still show the original cushions.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 01/24/2019 04:31:59
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2019 :  08:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this stuff under your cushions to help reduce the slippage.

Non-Slip

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 01/27/2019 08:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2019 :  11:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m looking on Wayfair’s website for outdoor cushions that might be suitable. Thinking a pair of 50-60” cushions with anti slip backing but I seem to recall the width to be no more than 14 inches. Am I remembering correctly? Anybody know that dimension?
Cloth cushions (Sunbrella) would be preferable to my current foam and vinyl cooler cushions.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2019 :  16:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Don't hold me to this but I think the cockpit seats were something like 72" Your right about the width being the problem. They are narrower than what you might find in lawn furniture or bench cushions.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/07/2019 16:52:46
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2019 :  18:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought 8 of these for my boat last year. I liked that they were available in red to match the boat stripes. They've held up well with 5 five kids also using them as floats. We arrange them different ways depending on what we're doing. I wish they were a little softer.

https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Flotation-Cushion/dp/B000NVD0OO/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=coleman type iv throwable&qid=1552009764&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2019 :  07:24:56  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

My problem with cockpit cushions, especially full length ones, is that they are constantly sliding off the seat onto the cockpit floor when the boat heels.

had the same problem. I sewed on some snaps. Problem solved! Ive seen some people use ties.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2019 :  08:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

My problem with cockpit cushions, especially full length ones, is that they are constantly sliding off the seat onto the cockpit floor when the boat heels.

had the same problem. I sewed on some snaps. Problem solved! Ive seen some people use ties.

This is a good example of the fact that one solution doesn't work for all of us and in all conditions. Snaps or ties or non-slip materials can work, but they each have limitations. When the load on a snap exceeds its designed limit, it comes unsnapped. Those devices work on a reach or run or to windward in moderate winds, but when beating in 15-18 kts against a chop, and crew members are sliding to leeward, snaps can't hold on a smaller boat. They work better on a bigger boat that resists heeling better. A full cockpit length cushion slides to the floor, preventing the helmsman and all crew from being able to move their feet and prop themselves against the heeling, plunging boat. As a general principle, I don't like anything sliding around on the cockpit floor in those conditions, including cushions, water bottles, handheld instruments, or even jib or main sheets. But, when you must slog to windward for 15 miles, you have to help your crew with the discomfort. For me, throwable cushions work best, because one doesn't occupy the whole cockpit floor when it falls off the seat, as it surely will when that crew has to work a winch. Any of the suggestions made in this thread can work, depending on how you use your boat and the size of the boat. There's no single right answer.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2019 :  18:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and ordered two outdoor swing cushions from Hayneedle.
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/45inchoutdoorbenchandswingcushion.cfm
They may be a little wide but I will only use them while on the mooring.
I only sail will throwable safety cushions. *See Steve's posts as to why.
I'm on the boat for 3-4 days week and they will make the cockpit a comfortable hangout.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page