Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New Spinnaker for Lucy Lee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bushav
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/12/2019 :  15:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m bucking the trend. Just bought a new spinnaker from Precision. She is a beauty! The wife pulled up just as it inflated for the first time.

I purchased the turtle bag and sock.

Lane

Lane

Edited by - bushav on 03/13/2019 07:42:42

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2019 :  16:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo! Looking forward to the pics! Are you flying it with crew or singlehanded?

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  06:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I usually sail together. Unlike me she has actually taken the ASA course! Without an autopilot I imagine I'll only deploy the spinnaker if I have someone at the helm. I also took this opportunity to install a Garmin Sailpack 42. This gives me a wireless wind instrument and two displays. I've only had a handheld anemometer so I'm really looking forward to having more information while I sail.

Lucy Lee is on the trailer because my lovely wife traveled to Panama City, FL on October 8th and got her out of the water at midnight before hurricane Michael hit on October 10th. She was saved from certain death as all of the other sailboats around us were wrecked.

Lane

Edited by - bushav on 03/13/2019 06:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2019 :  14:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HAVE THE SAME SET UP.
Use auto pilot, or crew to control boat, roll jib up. { otherwise, the spinnaker line gets wrapped around the jib. this is a real problem. } unhook the spin hoist line from mast, or side stanchions, or wherever you have it. reach down into the fwd open hatch and hookup head of Spin sail,attach tack of spin to bow. Spin control lines are ran outside of side shrouds, and hooked to lifelines fwd of mast. hoist spin, attach port and stb spin control lines, Then pull up the spin sock.

Ya I know, "Q" why does he do it that way. I fly the same kind of spn that's in the photo, I fly it "inside of the jib. tacking it inside as well. Ive tried outside. But doing it this was works Sooo much better. with the hatch open, everything goes down the hole, the unroll the jib, and your off to the next mark.
good luck,
Now lets both sit back and read what others have to say.
DB
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  15:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its been 2 months
Soooooo, ??
how did it go ??
let us know, please.

Edited by - Dave Brown on 05/20/2019 15:19:30
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2019 :  05:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brown

its been 2 months
Soooooo, ??
how did it go ??
let us know, please.

The spinnaker did great. We trailered Lucy Lee down to Grassy Key in the Florida Keys and sailed to Key West. My wife was nervous about flying the spinnaker but it was really a non event. Low stress and everything worked perfectly. The spinnaker is beautiful and a much smoother ride than the traditional wing on wing we had been using for downwind sailing. I don't understand why the 250 owners seem to downplay spinnaker use. We have the dousing sock so deployment and dousing was super simple.

As far as the Keys, we were disappointed at accessibility to things to see ashore via sailboat. It is just too shallow to enjoy the area East of Key West. We spent three days on the boat without getting off except to dingy to small islands and walk around. You need a skiff to zip around and even then there are not many water side restaurants. Once we got to Key West we stayed in the Stock Island Marina for four days and found it to be excellent. I could not find a boat ramp suitable for retrieving Lucy Lee so we had to pay $575 to have a hoist place her on the trailer. I don't think I will take the effort to trailer her to the Keys again.

Lane

Lane
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2019 :  08:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For us, Key West is the destination. We usually get a slip at Key West Bight Marina. Spend a few days watching Key Weird and then head back up the Keys to do more things by boat. There are probably more restaurants with docks on the Florida Bay side between Key Largo and Marathon than in the lower Keys.

Our last trip down we spent a night at anchor at Bahia Honda State Park (it was closed because of hurricane Irma). Four Days in Key West, a week anchored in Newfound Harbor and then a week on a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor. We probably had the most fun at Boot Key Harbor...........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2019 :  17:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI. Here is what I came up with. An articulating A-frame sprit, with a furler. Originally wanted to go with a broad shouldered asymm, but decided a flatter code 0 with an integrated luff was a better for the planned type of use. We basically use it as a 155 in lighter air, from about 80-160 or so. Haven't poled it out yet, but the plan was to use it that way when 160-180.

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX
Go to Top of Page

Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  09:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a company that makes a fancy bowsprit. https://trogear.com/
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2019 :  05:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No fancy bowsprit needed. The simplest solution is well.... simple.

Lane
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2019 :  06:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for a different venue for your next cruise, try the Florida Gulf Coast from Tarpon Springs to Fort Myers, especially from Tampa Bay south. Good, easy sailing, nice restaurants and marinas, good anchorages...very nice.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2019 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do! My wife has mentioned wanting to sail that area.

Lane

Lane
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2019 :  07:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bushav

No fancy bowsprit needed. The simplest solution is well.... simple.

Where do you tack the asymm? I thought about a line to the bow stem, or a collar around the jib, but wanted to be able to douse sail quickly without going to the bow.

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX

Edited by - solvasoncc on 10/01/2019 07:33:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page