Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 C25 Cabin Light Replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captn Mac
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/17/2019 :  10:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good source to purchase LED cabin lights to replace original square type--our boat is a 1981 c25

Captn Mac

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2019 :  10:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captn Mac

good source to purchase LED cabin lights to replace original square type--our boat is a 1981 c25

I used these:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--economy-led-dome-light--9268590?recordNum=3" target="_blank"> br / https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--economy-led-dome-light--9268590?recordNum=3

There are lots of options, from low to high price.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2019 :  06:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my Catalina 22, I converted the original square plastic cabin light fixtures to white/red LEDs, with ON/OFF/ON selector switch for less than $10 each.

http://sailincat.com/boating//C22/C22_Work/c22_led_cabin_lights.htm

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2019 :  07:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Passage the approach was to replace the two main salon cabin lights with Dr LED 6 3/4” dome lights or the WestMarine knockoff.
See DOME
These are not cheap like the RV fixtures, but they are very bright and solidly made.

In other locations (e.g.: quarterberth, vee berth) I replaced the light bulbs in the fixtures with automotive 1157 LED lights (brake + tail light combo), but had to make 2 mods: (1) switch the wiring polarity of the fixtures — negative and positive we’re switched, and (2) I bridged both contacts on the base with a small solder blob or tinfoil.
They’re as bright as the original incandescent bulbs. BTW, make sure the color is white, as some are red or amber.

I also added two smaller hockey puck light fixtures in the darker corners of the quarterberth and vee berth that I bought at a Home Center.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/21/2019 12:01:53
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2019 :  17:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched, using the same lights from West Marine that Tim used in the above post. Eight years later they work great. Was a much simpler upgrade than I had feared. The red light at night is really nice.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2019 :  21:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, it must have been something about the picture that made me think that it didn’t shed much light, or as much as the original lights provided. I’ve seen them in the store and was similarly not convinced. But if you say that they’re as bright as the originals, I’d definitely buy a few as spares for my older modified fixtures.
Can’t beat the price and they’re often on sale for around $25 each.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2019 :  21:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you seen this two-fer from Amazon? RV lights for about $15 a pair.
RV Light

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2019 :  12:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce -- The white light is a bit brighter than the original, which is great at mooring or dock, and uses much less power. The red light is not bright per-se, but at night works for reading chart or electronics and seeing around the cabin. Best part, is NO GLARE and eyes can look at it and not then need to readjust -- great for sailing. We typically sail at night with just the light over the galley on in "red" mode.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page