Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Jib Sheet Length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2019 :  10:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that my 135 Genoa sheets need replacement and currently I am using 7/16" New England Ropes' Sta-Set line.

The sheet is about 60 feet long and so it's pretty skimpy down at the ends when the jib is furled.

CD offers 75 feet of 3/8" line for the Genoa sheet at approximately $110. NE Ropes cost under 95c per foot, depending on vendor.

They also talk about a "fuzzy" Dacron polyester, while Sta-Set is "made from a blend of spun and filament polyester."

Does anybody know for sure what the correct length should be? Is there a different mfr for "fuzzier" or more comfortable line?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2019 :  13:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I have 35ft on each side so 70ft total and is plenty for my 135 headsail to furl with 3-4 wraps. 75 ft would be enough allowing for having to cut some off in the future if need be.
quote:
They also talk about a "fuzzy" Dacron polyester,

That would be New England Regatta single braid and highly recommend. Soft and supple on the hands with a fuzzy covering. It doesn't get tangled or kinks in it because its a single braid so you can dump it on the floor and it will run free when you tack and need to let it out. I believe my line is 3/8' and fits my self tailers. If you don't have ST winches then maybe you can save some $$ and a little weight with 5/16. I like the fuzzy single braid so much that if I bought a new boat that didn't have it it would be the first thing I would replace.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/05/2019 13:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2019 :  13:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parts manual, in the manual and brochures section, to the left <---- claims 75' for "genoa", 65' for "jib".

On my C25 I used Sta-set for the sheets. On my current boat, I used Regatta Braid. It is much more soft, fuzzy and "hand" friendly, however, in the long run, it is not holding up as well as the Sta-set. I had my C25 for ten years, when I sold the boat the sheets looked almost new. I replaced the sheets on my Gemini the first year I owned her, five years on, the Regatta Braid looks pretty worn in a few spots. Still working fine, just looks rougher.

As far as price, WM usually has a 50% off sale on rope a few times a year, if you can wait 'till then you could save quite a bit.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2019 :  19:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checking around, West Marine comes in at the best price! Will wonders never cease!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2019 :  07:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For sheets, I always recommend New England Ropes Regatta polyester single-braid. Good grip, nice on the hands, easy to coil, and lies nicely in the cockpit.

The length depends on the sail, such that the lazy sheet reaches around the mast and back to cockpit... A 155 needs longer sheets than a 135. (Yours is a 130, unless you replaced it--same as a 135 but with a higher clew.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/06/2019 07:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2019 :  19:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked out exactly that line today at my local chandlery and compared to Sta-Set and Sta-Set X, the Regatta line is extremely comfortable. I asked for 75 ft on 7/16th line and unfortunately, they don’t carry that size.
I later stopped at my local West Marine store, however, they didn’t have the line in stock either. It’s possible that I’ll have to order the materials online and pay for shipping.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2019 :  03:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious as to why you want such a large line. I find the 3/8 to be very comfortable and is what Catalina recommend for the 25.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2019 :  20:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually when I got Passage, it had 1/2” line. Pretty heavy but easy line to grab. I replaced that with 7/16” Sta-Set line (1/16” less), and it felt ok in my hands.
Unfortunately I estimated that line just long enough to reach the winches, but only just.
I’d like to replace it with the softer feel and more than enough slack. I also have some 3/8” line but I get a cramp pulling on that after awhile.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2019 :  06:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

It’s possible that I’ll have to order the materials online and pay for shipping.
If you let the WM store order it and have it shipped there, you won't pay for shipping. If you order and ship it from Defender, it's $.20/foot less (plus the shipping).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/08/2019 06:30:38
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2019 :  16:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally found a deal on the sheet line. I decided on 70 feet of 3/8" New England Ropes' Regatta braid. The line feels very comfortable and it's not too thin. Fits very well with enough extra at the ends to take a wrap or two on the winches.
To secure it to the jib I tied a full clove hitch through the eyelet to keep the mass down at the attachment point. In years past I've used a shackle and promptly got whacked in the head as the wind whipped it around. It ought to work out fine.
Could not beat the price either... Defender had a 22¢ off sale, which more than covered the shipping charge.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2019 :  20:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always used 70 feet total. I don't leave the sheets on the roller furling jib at the end of the day and secure the jib with a line. Even at 5'-8" not a problem with my 150% so I don't worry about wraps with the jib sheet and I can put the sheets below away from sunlight.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page