Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 25 swing keel ok in water year round?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/08/2019 :  09:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at a 1985 cat 25. The owner says he keeps her in the water 6-7mos/yr. on the chesapeake bay. I want to do the same. Are the keel, cables etc designed to do this? What should I be thinking about. I've been looking at fixed keel boats.

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2019 :  10:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I kept my C25 in saltwater 365 days a year for ten years. Replaced the cable and associated lifting hardware every two to three years. And the actual winch once during that time.

The real debate is, to keep the keel up or down at the dock. In my case, at my home dock, I had to leave the keel up because of shallow water at low tide.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2019 :  13:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Catalina the swing keel boats are not recommend for salt water. They require maintenance often and if kept in salt water that becomes more frequent. It costs money and time and like some guys here a major repair. If neglected you run the risk of a keel drop that could sink your boat. They were made mainly for the trailer boaters. If you plans don't include trailering or shallow water I don't see the point in looking at them. I say stay with the fin or wings where the only maintenance to the bottom is to paint it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2019 :  05:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine has lived in the water year round on the Chesapeake with no issues so far. I haul the boat for a week in the spring every 2 years for new bottom paint at which time I replace the cable. I've also replaced the drum and all of the associated lifting hardware for peace of mind.

The added cost/rarity of finding wing keelers or fins almost makes the boat not feasible. You can get into better and larger (if you want it) boats once you start talking that kind of money. If you do your maintenance you'll be struck by lightning before a failure.

Every winter I take everything out from the interior as well as exterior and store it all in my attic or storage room where it doesn't have to worry about mildew. Spring time comes, everything is accessible for a good cleaning and service before organizing and throwing it all back on the boat for the year.

Winter:

Spring:

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page