Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cat 25 reefing ram head hooks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/18/2019 :  18:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you folks still use these or have you rigged a cunningham to reef the mainsail?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/TUNsQzHdSryEKI-WoctYaw.Co39bOCtiReNSXSuTfrjaA

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  06:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi VDM, this is the first I’ve seen a reefing hook on a C25/250.
I had one on my old DaySailer.
On Passage last year I installed a forward reefing line that I could control from the cockpit. The aft line was easily reached from the boom.
I didn’t reinstall that line this season because it got fouled too often last year.
So I went back to using the Cunningham which is fine as it works double duty.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/19/2019 06:11:00
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  06:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed a "tack hook" for reefing, looks similar to your photos:

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  08:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not install a single-line reefing system? Easy enough to do and makes reefing a breeze (pun intended). I never wanted to send a crew member to the mast in worsening conditions. How do you reef the luff (with a 2-line system) if the end of the boom is outside the cockpit?

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  09:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was thnking that the BEFORE image was the right way to have the hooks, pointing inward toward the boom instead of the hook point outward.
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

I installed a "tack hook" for reefing, looks similar to your photos:

Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  09:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We lower the main, hook the luff cringle ( object of this post), tighten outhaul, tie uo reefing cringles.
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Why not install a single-line reefing system? Easy enough to do and makes reefing a breeze (pun intended). I never wanted to send a crew member to the mast in worsening conditions. How do you reef the luff (with a 2-line system) if the end of the boom is outside the cockpit?

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  09:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why not install a single-line reefing system?

That's the way to go "if", you don't need to raise and lower the mast frequently, or in my case, every time we took the boat out....

I did install a reefing line at the clew that ran to the forward end of the boom. At least made that part easier.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  12:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, It may be possible to run a single line to handle both ends of the reef if I tie my lines together. The line runs all along the boom, so I can grab it wherever it’s convenient.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  18:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally set my reefing line up as a single line led back to the cockpit but with all the turns the line had to make it imposed a lot of friction making it very difficult if not impossible to pull the single line. I didn't want to put the line on the cabin top winch and crank it for fear of breaking a slug because it pulled the tack down first and as far as I was taught the clew should be tightened first. I ended up cutting the line and making it a two line system. The tack line is now led back to the cockpit while the clew is tightened at the boom end. Still it is better than having to go to the mast to reef.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2019 :  05:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My crew would reef in about 30 seconds. Ease the main halyard to a predetermined mark and simultaneously haul on the reefing line. Use the cockpit winch to get the clew tight on the boom. All while we were going to weather. And never, ever tie the reefing cringles (my sailmaker said he loved to see people tie those because he knew that he would eventually have the sail in for repair.)

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2019 :  08:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Cal 25 has 2-line reefing, and it's very efficient. Ease the traveler to take the load off the sail. Then lower the halyard, tension the forward reef line, and re-raise the halyard. Then tension the aft reef line and bring up the traveler. It's all done from the cockpit.

My C&C 35 has rams horns on the boom for reefing, and I have to go forward to hook the reefing ring for either a single or double reef. I don't mind going forward on a bigger boat to reef, because the boat doesn't roll as violently as a smaller boat, but I usually tuck in a double reef so I won't have to go forward to do it a second time in bigger waves.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2019 :  14:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer a two-line system with both led to the cockpit (the clew line runs along the boom and down)--the reason being you can haul the tack down tight before tightening the clew (which better tensions the foot without pulling a slug out of the mast). It also reduces the drag on the line, as Scott says. If you have two reef-points, that makes a lot of lines--I never have had two. If I had a sail made (which I never did), it would have a single relatively deep reef. And AMEN to setting things up so nobody has to go onto the cabin-top when a blow comes up.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/21/2019 14:53:11
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2019 :  10:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vdotmatrix

Do you folks still use these or have you rigged a cunningham to reef the mainsail?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/TUNsQzHdSryEKI-WoctYaw.Co39bOCtiReNSXSuTfrjaA

By the way, the purpose of a Cunningham isn't really to reef the mainsail. It's purpose is to flatten the sail in stronger winds and to move the draft forward. A different line should be used for a reef. The cunningham grommet in the sail is usually much lower than the reef point.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page