Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Battery Set-up, etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Monomachos
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/25/2019 :  15:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Trying to get some batteries going in my C-25 (1990) SR, WK. The battery compartments are located beneath the quarter berth with the switch panel right near (just to starboard of bottom companionway step). Does anyone have good pics or diagrams of their set-ups? Anything would be of great help! Would like to add shore power and OFF/1/2/ALL switch. The main concern now is auto bilge pump before she goes in slip.

James Loxley Compton
C-25 SR/WK #5999 Erebus
Orange Beach, AL

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2019 :  19:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We never had an auto bilge pump in our '85 FK, and I seriously don't think you need one in a '90 WK, at least not to allow you to launch. A little rain water might get down there--five years worth won't sink the boat.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Monomachos
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2019 :  21:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave, thanks for the response. Sorry, I should have been more clear. About to launch the boat and leave her in our wet slip in marina until probably mid-fall. I think my insurance and the marina may require it (even if I didn't think it prudent). Thank, again.

JLC

James Loxley Compton
C-25 SR/WK #5999 Erebus
Orange Beach, AL
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2019 :  12:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out the diagrams in the Manuals & Brochures link on the left.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-2-3.gif

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-2-5.gif

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2019 :  16:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

For bilge pump configuration, I use, and recommend, some variation of the concept suggested in "This Old Boat" by Don Casey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071477942

Here's a copy & paste from an earlier post on the subject.

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=30511
quote:

1.) A small automatic electric pump selected for its ability to pump down to a shallow residue. I think of this as the 'slurper' pump. This type turns on with a low float, and then keeps going until it determines that it's pumping air. I even went with a smaller diameter hose to reduce drain back volume. Original advertised capacity was around 500 gph. If it can pump a 100 gph, that's plenty. I shoved it as far fwd as it would fit under the companionway ladder.

2.) A large electric pump and separate float switch selected for its ability to move a lot of water. I refer to this as a damage control pump. I think it's rated around 3,700 gph with 1-1/2" smooth bore hose. The pump and switch are installed a few inches above the level of the 'slurper' pump, under the galley area just to port of swing keel cable. I've yet to have enough water in the bilge to activate the damage control pump, even flushing the cabin with a garden hose. I imagine it looking like a fire hydrant or jet drive.

3.) I rebuilt or replaced the original manual bilge pump, including new hoses and a strum box pickup under the cabin sole near the stbd swing keel pivot.

Each pump discharges through a separate thru-hull high in the transom well above the heeled waterline.

Each electric pump is connected to a separate ON/OFF/AUTO switch with green indicator lights for enabled and red for running. (An audible alarm on the big pump, loud enough to wake the dead but with a mute switch, seems like a good idea, but I haven't gotten around to adding it.) Each has its own circuit breaker wired directly to a separate group 27 flooded cell house battery (bypassing the OFF/1/BOTH/2 switch and main 12V circuit breaker.) Each house battery is connected to a separate solar panel. (Group 24 cranking battery is charged directly from engine alternator.) All 3 batteries are also connected to a 3-bank shore power charger, and can be paralleled with ON/OFF/AUTO battery combiner relays (50A continuous, 150A cranking surge, as I recall).

I'm not saying this is the dewatering system every Catalina 25 needs, just throwing it out as food for thought.

-- Leon Sisson {a.k.a. Mr. Overkill}

P.S.
I realize most Catalina 25 owners, including me, have never had an automatic bilge pump turn on from incoming water. Some might consider that proof automatic bilge pumps are a waste of money.

Similarly, most people have never emptied a fire extinguisher at a blazing vehicle, been hit in the face by an air bag, hung up side down from a seat belt, ground a flat spot on a motorcycle helmet, or had a leather jacket cut off in an emergency room, etc. Never the less, I would like to think most of us would agree those are all worthwhile safety equipment.

According to BOAT/US, sinking, most often due to failure of plumbing below the waterline, is the #5 cause of boat owners insurance claims.

[http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2018/august/top-10-marine-insurance-claims.asp]

They used a photo of a sailboat similar to a Catalina 25 to illustrate that point...

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Monomachos
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2019 :  17:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kim Luckner

Check out the diagrams in the Manuals & Brochures link on the left.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-2-3.gif

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-2-5.gif

Thanks, Kim. This is very helpful. I'm sure these were in my manual but I failed to look closely enough. Much obliged!

James Loxley Compton
C-25 SR/WK #5999 Erebus
Orange Beach, AL
Go to Top of Page

Monomachos
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2019 :  17:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank, Leon. All very helpful info. And I agree; I think the chances are remote but the costs are high (if it does occur). Related to the examples you gave, the same kind of reasoning has me carrying a trauma kit in my car and bag, extra gear on outings, etc. Chances low, costs high. I think I would use the manual pump in the case of flooding while I'm on board but do agree an auto pump of some sort (sensing or float) would be good in the slip (especially on shore power). There are enough old guys around are marine that one would likely notice a constantly running pump and contact me if the pump could keep up. Much obliged, sir!

quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

James,

For bilge pump configuration, I use, and recommend, some variation of the concept suggested in "This Old Boat" by Don Casey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071477942

Here's a copy & paste from an earlier post on the subject.

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=30511
quote:

1.) A small automatic electric pump selected for its ability to pump down to a shallow residue. I think of this as the 'slurper' pump. This type turns on with a low float, and then keeps going until it determines that it's pumping air. I even went with a smaller diameter hose to reduce drain back volume. Original advertised capacity was around 500 gph. If it can pump a 100 gph, that's plenty. I shoved it as far fwd as it would fit under the companionway ladder.

2.) A large electric pump and separate float switch selected for its ability to move a lot of water. I refer to this as a damage control pump. I think it's rated around 3,700 gph with 1-1/2" smooth bore hose. The pump and switch are installed a few inches above the level of the 'slurper' pump, under the galley area just to port of swing keel cable. I've yet to have enough water in the bilge to activate the damage control pump, even flushing the cabin with a garden hose. I imagine it looking like a fire hydrant or jet drive.

3.) I rebuilt or replaced the original manual bilge pump, including new hoses and a strum box pickup under the cabin sole near the stbd swing keel pivot.

Each pump discharges through a separate thru-hull high in the transom well above the heeled waterline.

Each electric pump is connected to a separate ON/OFF/AUTO switch with green indicator lights for enabled and red for running. (An audible alarm on the big pump, loud enough to wake the dead but with a mute switch, seems like a good idea, but I haven't gotten around to adding it.) Each has its own circuit breaker wired directly to a separate group 27 flooded cell house battery (bypassing the OFF/1/BOTH/2 switch and main 12V circuit breaker.) Each house battery is connected to a separate solar panel. (Group 24 cranking battery is charged directly from engine alternator.) All 3 batteries are also connected to a 3-bank shore power charger, and can be paralleled with ON/OFF/AUTO battery combiner relays (50A continuous, 150A cranking surge, as I recall).

I'm not saying this is the dewatering system every Catalina 25 needs, just throwing it out as food for thought.

-- Leon Sisson {a.k.a. Mr. Overkill}

P.S.
I realize most Catalina 25 owners, including me, have never had an automatic bilge pump turn on from incoming water. Some might consider that proof automatic bilge pumps are a waste of money.

Similarly, most people have never emptied a fire extinguisher at a blazing vehicle, been hit in the face by an air bag, hung up side down from a seat belt, ground a flat spot on a motorcycle helmet, or had a leather jacket cut off in an emergency room, etc. Never the less, I would like to think most of us would agree those are all worthwhile safety equipment.

According to BOAT/US, sinking, most often due to failure of plumbing below the waterline, is the #5 cause of boat owners insurance claims.

[http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2018/august/top-10-marine-insurance-claims.asp]

They used a photo of a sailboat similar to a Catalina 25 to illustrate that point...

James Loxley Compton
C-25 SR/WK #5999 Erebus
Orange Beach, AL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page