Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Bimini Hardware
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Istion1
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/15/2019 :  07:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to attach a Bimini to the top of the Catalina 250.

Never have done this. It didn't come with bolts or screws and I'm wondering what to use to install it.

Wondering if anyone can provide me some information do I just use wood screws does it have to be Bolts Etc do I need a backing plate.

Of course my boat is about a four-hour drive away and it's hard to check it prior to going so I'm just hoping to have the right Hardware when I get there

Dubhe originally out of texas, c250 wk

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  16:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used both but I prefer Stainless steel machine screws, with the drill bit very close to the size of the screws. Resin does not give at all so it cracks if your hole is too small.

I think I've bought my machine screws to fit the hardware ( bimini ) and then checked the fit somewhere unseen inside the boat in the fiberglass, using both metric and SAE bits till I found something that fit well.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2019 :  15:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bimini frame can be subjected to some significant stresses from being grabbed, fallen against, or caught in high wind. Wood screws, self-tappers, and sheet metal screws aren't a good idea. It should be through-bolted with machine screws, although a backing plate probably isn't necessary--just use the largest washers you can fit (up to "fender washer" size) and nylock nuts. Then use a proper sealant such as BoatLife Life Caulk or butyl tape to bed the bases and prevent water from migrating down the bolts. You can find Youtube discussions on bedding hardward--the method with butyl tape is somewhat different from doing it with caulk/sealant. I recommend chamfering the top edges of the bolt holes (a few turns of a larger drill bit) to allow a better seal around the bolt.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/19/2019 15:35:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page