Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tell me what's in these images
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RobLes
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/08/2019 :  22:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first sailboat a C25, and I have some questions about things the previous owners did.

First one is a rail for something? Can I remove it?

Second one is and attachment point for something? Can I remove it?

Third one is some kind of extension for the shroud chainplate. I just got new correct length shrouds and I shouldn't need this.

Fourth question. Where does this backstay tension line cleat to? I can't find a place. It's the line in the background, not the mainsheet.

The trailer doesn't have bolts holding the supports up. The arrow indicates a friction bolt just pressing against it. I'm going to add some by cutting holes through the struts. This one just collapsed down while trailering it for the first time.

The trailer has this to hold the keel, but it seems too narrow. Also, what can I do about the rusty keel??

I tried putting a new latch on the anchor locker (and filling in the holes), but I can't get this latch to work right. Should I get a new one or try something new?

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2019 :  06:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1 May be a second set of tracks to sheet jib inside lifelines for racing and better pointing. Usually they are added on cabin top. Yours were obviously added and could be removed but that's a lot of holes to fill!

#2 Is a bracket for a spinnaker or whisker pole. Other end might clip to a stanchion or to the bow pulpit. You can remove it or wait and see if it's handy.

#3 May be a temporary extension used to relieve tension on shroud while lowering and raising mast. There is no reason for it to be there when mast is up and shrouds are tensioned.

#4 I can't really make out your setup but my backstay tensioner is a cam cleat on the lower block. Pretty much the same as mainsheet tackle, just a smaller line size. Lower block connects to a tang at the base of the traveler rail on the starboard side.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 07/09/2019 06:45:19
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2019 :  07:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum.

Pic#1
My guess is the PO added that T-Track to possibly get a little tighter angle on the jib sheet when going to windward or to fit his sail plan. I would leave it and sail the boat and then decide if its handy or not.
Pic#2
That's a spin or whisker pole deck chock used for storing a pole on deck' Did the PO give you a pole?
Pic#3
That's a toggle and is used to extend a shroud that is a little short. If you have new shrouds then you should't need it.
Pic#4
here is a picture of the split backstay. Compare it to yours and see what is or isn't missing.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2019 :  07:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1 is an auxiliary genoa track. It's apparent purpose is to enable you to sheet your jib in closer to let the boat to point higher, but I'm unsure whether it will work, for a variety of reasons. The later models of C25 had the genoa track mounted more inboard than the earlier versions, but I think Catalina also moved the attachments for the shrouds inboard, to allow the sail to be trimmed further inboard. My recollection is that, when sailing closehauled, I trimmed my genoa until it touched the shrouds. I don't think that moving the genoa track inboard without also moving the shroud attachments inboard will accomplish the objective, but try it. Experiment with different sizes of jibs. Maybe it will work in some configuration.

There's another consideration. When you trim the genoa closer inboard, the result is that you narrow the slot between the genoa and the mainsail, and that causes the mainsail to be backwinded by the genoa, losing power.

Here's a drawing of the C25 backstay adjuster. The cleat is shown at the left of the drawing. If it's missing from your boat, it should be replaceable.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2019 :  09:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the keel rust, the question is, do you want to do it in a way that will last through the ages, but be somewhat more costly and labor intensive, or do you want to get it done and in the water, knowing it might need more maintenance down the road?

Personally, I would opt for the latter.

I'd wire brush it to remove the loose material and then sand it to remove the rust. I'd leave any paint that is well bonded to the keel. Then promptly spray the bare metal with rust reformer. Fill any deep pits with Marine Tex, sand it, and then apply 4-5 coats of Interlux Interprotect Barrier coat. Attach a sacrificial anode (probably zinc), and finally paint with antifouling. If you plan to sail this boat for 4-5 years before you move on, that should be sufficient. In any case, you should probably replace the keel cable and associated hardware before you launch it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2019 :  10:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd wire brush it to remove the loose material and then sand it to remove the rust. I'd leave any paint that is well bonded to the keel. Then promptly spray the bare metal with rust reformer. Fill any deep pits with Marine Tex, sand it, and then apply 4-5 coats of Interlux Interprotect Barrier coat. Attach a sacrificial anode (probably zinc), and finally paint with antifouling. If you plan to sail this boat for 4-5 years before you move on, that should be sufficient. In any case, you should probably replace the keel cable and associated hardware before you launch it.

I agree with this. I think its a losing battle trying to permanently eliminate the rust forever. Think of it as an maintenance thing like bottom painting. A much bigger concern is the lifting hardware and cable. That needs to be replaced every few years.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

RobLes
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2019 :  12:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to work on the keel so it lasts awhile. Only thing is I would have to put the boat on stands and build a cradle for the keel in order to lower it.

Or should I just get what I can with the keel still mounted?

What tool would I need to drill a hole through the keel to mount the zinc? I imagine my electric drill would struggle.

Edited by - RobLes on 07/10/2019 12:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2019 :  10:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMO The top three photos look like a badly conceived "twing" rig.
Unfortunately unless you are going to do some serious filling and gel-coat repair you are stuck with that track.
http://l-36.com/twing.php

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

RobLes
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2019 :  12:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll most likely take them off and fill them in this summer. They leak and would all need to be taken off and resealed anyway.
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2019 :  21:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pics 1 and 3: the aftermarket foresail car track appears to be partially installed. I can see only five bolt/screw heads at the aft end of the track, and many empty holes where through bolts should go.

I would not use those tracks without through-bolting the entire track Or if there's only five holes to fill, that makes removing the track easier if you go that route.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2019 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ref 3rd item you are correct it is extender for shroud/stay. You may not need it with your new rigging. However, save it as it may come in handy. I used one to replace toggle on forestry which failed due to stress.
Paul Zell
S/V Sparky
SF Bay
Ex Tech Ed

Paul C25FK Sparky
'PZ' W7JVY KFS/KTK/KLB/KOK/WNU/KPH/WCC/VAI/VAJ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page