Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Catalina 250 Tuning Guide
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/27/2019 :  09:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone has a basic tuning guide for setting up a Catalina 250WK? New to the boat.

Thanks!

Chris Edwards

Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  07:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. I'll reply back to this topic with some loos gauge settings for easier and future reference.
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2019 :  07:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also search the archives for Arlyn Stewarts rig tuning comments in Mike013's post titled "shroud tensioning" from 2007. It's pretty good as well.
Go to Top of Page

Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2019 :  07:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k3fuller

You can also search the archives for Arlyn Stewarts rig tuning comments in Mike013's post titled "shroud tensioning" from 2007. It's pretty good as well.

Maybe you could post the URL? I can't find it with the search.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2019 :  08:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link. http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=15249&SearchTerms=shroud,tensioning

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2019 :  13:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve!
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2019 :  04:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the rigging tuning gauge I should buy for my c250?

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-25/rigging/standing-rigging/maintenance/rigging-tension-gauge-316quot-to-932quot/
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2020 :  10:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, if your a racer, tune tight, if you like the rest of us,
tune so that the down wind side stays are " just moving " when your
sailing. don't get to carried away with a gauge.
Over adjusting is not good for the boat. your trying to drive the
mast thru the bottom of the boat.
that's my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2020 :  10:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything Dave said except "...if your a racer, tune tight."

Ideally, the rig should be relatively tight (but not overly tight) in moderate and stronger winds, and relatively loose in light air. Loosening the rig generally in light air powers up the rig. Tightening it depowers it.

In "real life," most sailors tune their rig for moderate to stronger winds and leave it that way forever. They get very good overall performance. Only serious racers re-tune their rigs when the wind changes from strong winds to light air.

Many racers use backstay adjusters. They enable you to change from a taut rig to a loose rig in an instant. Thus, you can readjust your rig without getting out your tools.

I raced successfully for many years without using a backstay adjuster and without re-adjusting my rig from loose to taut, so it isn't terribly important except in light air and in highly competitive situations.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2020 :  11:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you C25 sailors, I'll remind you that a backstay adjuster is probably not a good idea on the C250. Because the rig is not orthogonal, any adjustment to the backstay tension will affect the shrouds in complex ways, requiring re-tuning the whole rig when adjusting backstay. For instance, loosening the backstay will increase tension on the uppers, which may increase the pre-bend, which is the opposite of what you want to do in light air. You can't just loosen and tighten backstay like you can for orthogonal rigs like on the C25.

I'm not a racer, so take this all with a grain of salt. But I tuned my C250 enough to know that it's a totally different beast from the C25.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2020 :  12:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick is one of our most knowledgeable C250 sailors, but Arlyn Stewart was another of our most knowledgeable C250 sailors. Arlyn used a backstay adjuster on his C250 and had a different point of view. Here's a link to an interesting discussion of the subject by Arlyn. If this is more information than you really wanted, feel free to disregard it. On this forum you can usually get a variety of opinions, and it's for you to decide how or whether to use them.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11126

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2020 :  20:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I don't think there is any difference of opinion.
All the comments state a C250 backstay adjuster is not a good idea.

The case when a backstay adjuster was used (see the link above) there was also a custom "running baby stay" to adjust the mast pre-bend forward.
This complicates tacking and only used when racing.

I would like to hear from "offline" for the intended usage, before going down that rabbit hole.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2020 :  07:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arlyn used a backstay adjuster and reported performance gains. Whether it is worth the hassle involved is up to each owner. If you're a racer or a long distance cruiser and enjoy more speed on long downwind runs, you might consider it worth the hassle.

It's a very common mistaken belief that a backstay adjuster improves a boat's ability to point to windward. It doesn't. There's a limit to how much tension you can put on a forestay. The wire only stretches so far. The sail has a shape sewn into it, and over-tensioning it makes it curl. The unchangeable architecture of a sailboat limits it's ability to point to windward beyond a certain point. As much as I respect Arlyn's opinions, it appears that he shared this mistaken belief.

If you discount any notion that a backstay adjuster helps a boat point, then you can eliminate the perceived need for a baby stay. You don't need a baby stay to sail downwind.

A backstay adjuster improves boat speed downwind. By easing the backstay adjuster, the forestay sags, and that powers up the jib.

When you tune the rig, you should tune it with the backstay tensioned. Then you tune the rig exactly the same way as if you didn't have a backstay adjuster. The mast shape will be the same as a boat without a backstay adjuster. The boat will point to windward exactly the same. But, when you sail downwind, or in light air, you can slightly ease the backstay and induce sag in the forestay and thereby power up the jib.

If you choose not to use a backstay adjuster, you can still improve your downwind and light air speed by easing the jib halyard. That will also induce sag and power up the jib a bit, but the taut forestay will prevent the jib from taking it's fullest, most powerful shape. When I'm using a backstay adjuster, I do both - ease the backstay adjuster and ease the jib halyard.

I wouldn't like to see this discussion end with minds closed to backstay adjusters for C250s. If I had a C250, I'd install one. Whether you're racing or cruising, it's nice to be able to gain 1/4 kt or more downwind.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/25/2020 07:09:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page