Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 250 WB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jlouder52
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/21/2020 :  07:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at a 250WB and have a few questions that I hope ya'll can help with. The owner says that it does not have a swing keel but a small fixed keel running down the center line. I cannot find any information on this model. Does the owner know what he is talking about. How does the WB handle gusty winds or winds over 15 mph. Finally is it as good a boat as a wing keel.
I have never sailed a WB and a little cautious about getting one.

Thanks

Jim

Jim

davidtree
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2020 :  08:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 250 Wb

When the centerboard is up, it looks kind of like a full keel, but it is a sort length of the bottom hull.

I only sail a WB model, so I can not compare it to a real keel style.
But it a small boat and is a bit trickier over 20 mph if its gusting.

I got it as we are sailing in the Elizabeth River in Norfolk VA area, and we havs some shallow water at times.
David
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2020 :  13:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a wing keel, and no experience with the water ballast, but overall the 250s are a little tricky to sail in strong gusts as they tend to heel easily and if overpowered will round up into the wind. I think most people on this site would agree that reefing early and downsizing the jib is critical. Any whitecaps require reefing, and winds over 20 and definitely 25 are a lot for this boat. On the other hand, with the high freeboard you will never bury the rail. I think it depends on your experience and comfort level and who will be on the boat with you. If you use the search feature at the top and type in Gust or similar term and search the archives you will find some discussions on high winds and gusts and how different people handle it.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2020 :  22:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Do you have any photos or a website link you could post?
Does the boat have a trailer?
You can tell you which model by looking at the trailer.

The C250 has two models, water-ballast or wing-keel.
I have the water-ballast model, which has a retractable centerboard that pivots.
The centerboard is under 100 pounds.
The C25 has a swing keel model, which is over 1,000 pounds.
Perhaps what he meant is not a "swing keel" but a "centerboard"?
Other than that, I don't know.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2020 :  07:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What will your sailing grounds be, the water depths, and what range of conditions do you expect to encounter? Do you plan to use a trailer very much? Will you be sailing with other people, and what is their comfort level as a function of the heeling of a sailboat?

I suspect there was a misunderstanding in the description of the boat, as explained by Russ above. Commonly, "swing keel" is the term for something like a centerboard but that is ballast for the boat. The older C-25 swing keel is 1500# of cast iron. "Centerboard" is the common term for a pivoting foil that has only enough weight to keep it down (e.g. 100#), thereby making the boat easier to launch, retrieve, and tow--also enhanced by the water ballast that can be filled and dumped at the ramp.

If you need to negotiate water shallower than about 4' and/or want to transport the boat on a trailer, water ballast is an advantage. If not, the wing keel model of the C-250 gives you more stability, more headroom in the cabin, and eliminates some moving parts.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/22/2020 08:01:17
Go to Top of Page

LSM
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
14 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2020 :  09:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my WB on a trailer. You can see the centreboard retracted. Sorry, not sure how to imbed a photo... The 250 is my first "big" boat (dingy sailor prior) and IMHO it is a nice boat. As mentioned, reef early and you will be fine.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TU3o-lq-TcGgwpyPPXBjAi2_NNzh5WJ9

quote:
Originally posted by jlouder52

I am looking at a 250WB and have a few questions that I hope ya'll can help with. The owner says that it does not have a swing keel but a small fixed keel running down the center line. I cannot find any information on this model. Does the owner know what he is talking about. How does the WB handle gusty winds or winds over 15 mph. Finally is it as good a boat as a wing keel.
I have never sailed a WB and a little cautious about getting one.

Thanks

Jim

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2020 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LSM

This is my WB on a trailer. You can see the centreboard retracted. Sorry, not sure how to imbed a photo... The 250 is my first "big" boat (dingy sailor prior) and IMHO it is a nice boat. As mentioned, reef early and you will be fine.

David, I uploaded your photo

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

LSM
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
14 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2020 :  16:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you

Mark...

quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

quote:
Originally posted by LSM

David, I uploaded your photo

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page