Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Questions about holes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caribbean Soul
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/12/2020 :  10:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi friends,

I have a couple of questions about holes that can take in water and I am risking sounding like a complete IDIOT.

1) why would anyone ever open the thru-hull valves? I cannot find an answer to this! Wont water come in and sink my boat? If I always keep them closed wont everything (sinks, toilets) go to the holding tank until I drain it? Why/when do you open your thru-hull valves?

2) what the heck are these two holes/drains for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1rZY4u0P1A

Caribbean Soul - Ithaca NY - C25 - 1983 - SR/FK - Traditional layout - #3429 - She's Fixin' a Boat - Help!! :)

JoeRobertJr
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2020 :  12:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Caribbean Soul,

On mine, that hole in the transom is for the charging cable from outboard to boat battery.

Mine has no hole in the cockpit like yours. My guess is there was a display there, and the holes were for the wiring.

Regards,
Joe R.
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2020 :  12:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The through hull valves are necessary parts of your plumbing system, for drawing in flush water for the head, and for draining the sinks and icebox.

Provided your plumbing is sound and intact, it's safe to open them when they are going to be used and you are on the boat.

While you are sailing and heeling, close them to prevent water from backwashing into the sinks and icebox.

When you are away from the boat, keep them closed for safety, that way you aren't renting on hoses and clamps.

Ice lasts much longer in the box with the galley through hull closed.

That cockpit hose is a mod done by somebody. Your boat may have (have had) a pressurized water system. Look for a pump somewhere, maybe by the freshwater tank.

You should close up any holes you don't want. In an earlier post, the holes in the cockpit well looked to be from an outboard remote control. Maybe the smaller holes are related to that or an autopilot.

Good luck and sail soon, ready or not!

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 05/12/2020 15:27:52
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2020 :  12:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like what's left of an aft shower or wash down system a previous owner had installed.

quote:
Wont water come in and sink my boat?

No. Water seeks its own level. In other words water will come in through the thru hull and up the hose and stop at the same level as the water is outside the boat (your water line). Think of a straw in a glass of water. The water fills the straw to the same level as the water is in the glass. It doesn't shoot out the top of the straw. The only time it would sink your boat is if the hose or thru hull developed a leak below the waterline. Then the water would try to seek its own level by filling your entire boat up to the water line and as your boat sinks lower the waterline gets higher until[....... It gets to ugly to continue.
P.S all boats want to sink. Its your job to prevent that.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/12/2020 14:16:23
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2020 :  06:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the video I would guess that the 1/2" clear tubing is part of an aft shower/wash down the PO had that ends up coiled in the dry compartment. It might still be spliced into the water line that runs to the sink back by the steps.
The black wire might still be or was connected to the battery and and is or was part of the electric start/charging system for an outboard. That wire might have run out to the outboard through that Thru hull in the transom. The hole in the side of the cockpit is more of a mystery. Possibly where there were engine controls at one time? The cables could have run out that Thru hull also. Not sure on that.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/13/2020 06:21:52
Go to Top of Page

Caribbean Soul
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2020 :  06:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all very helpful and much appreciated. Best forum ever.

Caribbean Soul - Ithaca NY - C25 - 1983 - SR/FK - Traditional layout - #3429 - She's Fixin' a Boat - Help!! :)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2020 :  06:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't plug the hole in the transom. If you don't need to use it, a subsequent owner might.

As for the hole in the cockpit, you have a choice. You can either make it a big, labor-intensive project to fill it, sand it smooth and re-finish it, or you can make a couple hours project of it and spend more of your time sailing and enjoying the boat. The quick, easy solution is to cover the hole with a small piece of starboard, which is sold at Westmarine. It's a little pricey, but you only need a small piece. You can cut it in a round or square shape and cover the hole. I covered a 4" round hole on my Cal 25 with starboard where an instrument used to be, and it's a neat and orderly repair and keeps the weather out.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page