Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Put C250 WB on Stands
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/08/2021 :  12:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am planning work I need to do this coming spring to repair the turning ball on the center board lifting tackle and also to the trailer.

I am far from a marina. I can hire a crane to lift the boat up, pull out the trailer, then set it back down on stands. I saw these photos in a previous post. I can certainly rig something like this up, but I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT POPPING/FLEXING THE BALLAST TANK SEAMS WHERE THEY JOIN THE HULL. I could provide another cross beam behind the keel trunk, one in front, and then another at the back. I will have to climb into the boat as part of running the rigging and general fitting.

Any thoughts and advice? It will cost me several thousand dollars (3-4K?) to haul it to a marina and have the work done. But it's false economy if I break the water tank loose.

I think that's a C22 on the stands, they spec out at about 2,500 lbs. The C250 WB is about 3,500 I think.

Thanks!

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2021 :  07:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this problem with my Catalina 22. The way I solved it was by putting jacks under the trailer frame and gradually jacking up the whole boat and trailer. I raised each side about 4 inches and then put 4 inch wide concrete blocks under the trailer.

When it was as high as I needed it to be, I built a wood cradle under it all, lowered the rig until the boat rested on the wood cradle, and then lowered the trailer down to the ground. I left the trailer in place, under the boat, to "catch" the boat, just on the unlikely chance that it fell.

I loosely followed the general design of the cradle on my trailer, which was similar to this one.

The wood cradle was constructed of 4 4X4 uprights with (as I recall) 2X10s between them, attached to conform to the hull shape. You can use more than 4 uprights if you think they're necessary to support the boat. I used 2 2X8s or 10s to tie the 4 uprights together at the base, both fore and aft and laterally, and then installed supports at approximately a 45 deg. angle from the top of each support to the base members.

I assembled most everything with 3/8" bolts instead of nails for two reasons. First, I thought they'd be stronger, and second, because I could mark the parts and re-assemble the cradle if I needed to use it again. It would also help if you took photos. (I didn't)

This sounds like a lot of work, but it really only took about 1/2 day to jack up the rig and build the cradle, and much less time to dis-assemble it and lower it.

I apologize if I screwed up the format with these photos, but they were the best photos I could find online.

If your trailer has roller bunks, let us know. There might be an easier way to accomplish what you want.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page