Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 cat 25 forestay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

worane
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/06/2018 :  14:21:30  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I have bought a Catalina 25 here in Australia. It is missing the forestay.
The mast is 28 foot three inches long.
Could any one please tell me how long a forestay I need to have made up?
It has all the pieces to make up the Profurl when I get the wire swaged. Thanks, Nick Viner.

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  14:41:26  Show Profile
I should also add that I think this boat was built in 1978. Regards, Nick Viner
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  15:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Nick: Catalina gave measurements for the length of the extrusion, NOT including the truck casting at the top. The standard rig mast is 28 feet even. Verify how you are measuring your mast.

If it is a factory-standard 28' spar, the forestay specification is 29'-10" of 3/16 diam. 1x19, but that measurement is taken from the centers of the eyes at both ends.

My concern in providing this info is that the Catalina 25 was apparently marketed in Oz as the "Jaguar". I understand that it was essentially the same boat, but there could be other differences. It seems plausible possibility that Catalina shipped finished hulls but found a local supplier for the spars and rigging to save shipping costs. If that were the case they might have changed the specification (except then it would have required different sails, and that seems unlikely).

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  20:15:15  Show Profile
Thanks for answering Lee.
I understand that this boat was imported as a Catalina and was used as the plug for what became the Boomaroo which was what all later boats were called when built here under licence.
That was confirmed by the fact that when I sanded the cockpit coming to repaint, under the boomeroo sticker I found the out line of Catalina.
That is the extent of my forensic archeology.
I have just been down the back garden and yes the truck is 3 inches.
Thanks again Lee you have saved me a heap of calculations and I do not want to stand the thing up to take a measurment. Regards, Nick Viner
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  20:45:42  Show Profile
Lee, Are you sure the forestay diameter is only 3/16 ?
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  20:50:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by worane

Lee, Are you sure the forestay diameter is only 3/16 ?

it is absolutely 1x19 3/16" as Lee said.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  20:52:49  Show Profile
Nick
Just a word of caution ... Some makes of furlers are designed to use the Catalina forestay as spec'd while others require shortening the forestay to accommodate hardware. I have no knowledge of Profurl but am sure others on the forum could chime in. Could be a non-issue or ...

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  23:59:20  Show Profile
I've just had a look again and it is a Furlex furler
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2018 :  06:37:32  Show Profile
OK the Furlex furler changes the ballgame. Furlex does not use a turnbuckle or any hardware on the bottom of the forstay. Instead you order a forstay without any hardware on the bottom, just a bare wire then cut it to a length determined by a formula that Furlex has then you attach a Stay Lock fitting to the end. the drum gets clamped to the stay lock. The forstay will not be adjustable and is fixed. When I replaced my forstay I ordered a forstay for a Cat27 without any hardware on the bottom. They are the same size wire but longer. This gave me enough bare wire for cutting. I didn't have to use their formula for the length since I had my old forstay. I layed them out side by side and pulled them taunt and cut the new wire the same as the old. My furler is a Furlex Type A but their system is the same regardless of model. You can find all the manuals and how too's from Selden Mast http://www.seldenmast.com/en/technical_info/manuals_for_assembly.html
Does it look like this? You can see the Stay Lock fitting under the drum and is attached to the stem fitting.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/07/2018 12:56:23
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2018 :  11:05:04  Show Profile
This might help also
[urlhttp://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-1-3.gif][/url]

Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2018 :  13:09:44  Show Profile
Wow! You guys ROCK!!!!! Thankyou all so much. It seems you have sorted all my problems.
Over here and in England that bottom fitting is known as a Norsman fitting . I noted one sitting in a box of gear that came with the boat. Now I only have to locate it.
Cheers Nick Viner. (Worane).
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2018 :  16:36:58  Show Profile
I was wondering if you had the fitting. Great! It would be even better if you had the forstay to use as a template for the length measurement. I measured my old one and it is from the center of the eye hole to the end of the wire and it is 29ft 9 3/4 inches. That doesn't mean yours would be the same as mine but it might be close. Still I would do the work sheet that is in the Selden info I provided above to get the forstay measurement. Good luck. Norsman is another brand and is different from Sta-loc although they both work the same way. Don't mix them up. Furlex used Sta-loc. You will need to get a new former and wedge for the fitting. They are the guts that crush down on the wire and can't be used over again. Google Sta-loc fittings. Lots of how too video's. The part numbers for those are 138-05 for the wedge and 115-05 for the former.

Edited by - islander on 11/07/2018 17:26:55
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2018 :  18:03:42  Show Profile
I have had a look for the fitting without any luck.
As I need some new inner parts I may as well but a new Staylock complete. Islander, Thank for all your good advice.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2018 :  19:31:55  Show Profile
The complete Sta-loc is an eye terminal for 3/16 wire. Sta-loc part number 133-05.That includes the wedge and former.

Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2018 :  02:55:44  Show Profile
Thanks again Islander
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page