Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Keel Mount construction.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tocreemer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/13/2018 :  07:04:53  Show Profile
I'm new to the Capri 25. I've sailed aboard one in several local races, but never have been involved with any sort of repair on the boat. I've found a local Capri 25 that I thought I would purchase, but after inspecting the boat I am worried about the Keel.

I've included a link to a google drive with a few photos of the keel sump and the Hull at the keel attachment point. It appears to me the bracing the keel attaches to within the hull is compromised. What I don't know is how keel box is constructed and what the extent of work would be in making a repair.

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams that detail the construction around the keel mount? Has anyone had a similar issue and made a repair. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. I've done quite a bit of fiberglass and hull work on other boats, but this one makes me nervous.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w6R3VcXGzjvOrQVBPUfTnGyqDEDHnQ3v

TC

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:04:52  Show Profile
I think your nervousness is justifiable. Check the "Manual & Brochures" link on this website then select the "Architectural Drawings" link under Capri 25.
There you will find all of the available construction documents for this boat. The keel area is a weak link in the design and many boats have suffered to varying degrees by deterioration of this area. Anything is fixable, the question is, as always, is it worth it. My boat probably has a similar problem and I've retired it from competition accordingly. I determined the repair was not worth the effort and I've moved on to racing other boats, leaving the Capri for just pleasure sailing now. I've never heard of a catastrophic failure of the keel, but I suppose anything is possible with enough neglect. Also, check into the current One design rules for this boat, there has been some discussion of this issue and how to fix it and stay within the one design requirements. I did not race one design, so I'm sorry I can't tell you more about that, others may be able to add to this aspect of the boats history. Good Luck

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2018 :  19:36:38  Show Profile
Why buy something that makes you nervous before you've even written the check. There are thousands of boats in this world. Find another one.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:27:13  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage
That looks like it would take some major surgery. I have keel sump drawings I will try and upload later.

I had a small crack around the front of my keel/hull joint. There were some small circular cracks around the keel bolts but they were small and uniform so I haven't worried about them too much.

I did repair the crack though. I ground it out with and angle grinder and the crack was contained to the outer skin. I couldn't see any deep damage. I glassed it over, faired it out and after a full season of racing, ramp launching and some travel, the crack has not returned.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wVOTn48fAkArZ7EPMdFv7-6x6F2-5bKX

As others have said, it may not be worth it. Just from the pics it looks pretty bad. You're the only one who can make that call though.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:34:02  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage
If you all want to follow Little Wing, here's my boat's FB page...https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2018 :  13:00:48  Show Profile
tocreemer, I just looked at the pictures you posted, your boats situation is much worse than mine ever was. I'd say NO to that purchase hands down, unless you pick the boat up cheap enough and want to put in the repair time. Doesn't look like a good boat to sail right now, needs a tear down and rebuild for sure. I'd also suspect that the boat has run aground pretty hard.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

tocreemer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  11:55:02  Show Profile
Have you, or do you know anyone that has done this repair? I have a bit of experience with structural and fiberglass repairs. This seems fairly straight forward, but also pretty in depth. Working out details, but I may be able to pick up this boat for a price that makes the repair time something I would consider.

Thanks in advance for any help.

quote:
Originally posted by joearcht

tocreemer, I just looked at the pictures you posted, your boats situation is much worse than mine ever was. I'd say NO to that purchase hands down, unless you pick the boat up cheap enough and want to put in the repair time. Doesn't look like a good boat to sail right now, needs a tear down and rebuild for sure. I'd also suspect that the boat has run aground pretty hard.

TC
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  12:40:17  Show Profile
My suggestion would be to search this forum for threads relating to the keel or compression post.
Some people have done this and documented pretty well with photos etc. I've seen them, but do not know where to tell you to find them specifically.
Another resource is the Wayzatta Yacht Club. http://www.wyc.org
They used to have a fleet of 20 or so racing Capri 25's as I recall. I think they are the defacto head of this fleets one design maintenance discussions.
Also check the Sailing Anarchy Forum for "Capri 25 Compression post issues". I've got that in my notes as a noteworthy resource for some reason.

I remember one person took his entire top deck off and removed the inner hull to get at the problem, but never saw anything about putting it back together.
Seems the most common solution is to cut the inner hull out from the keel to center post for the whole width of the floor and rebuild what you find.

Early boats had a solid keel reinforcement running fore and aft and latter boats like mind to not.
I think the one design rules now will allow you to put in the solid reinforcement like the early boats.

That's all I can remember, good luck

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  15:32:12  Show Profile
That boat took a major hit. I would walk away.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

chipkaupp
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
1 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2018 :  13:46:41  Show Profile
I have removed the keel, removed all the rotten plywood and replace it with a fiberglass grid. See my photos.

Chipster
Capri 25, Hull #98
Go to Top of Page

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2018 :  14:03:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chipkaupp

I have removed the keel, removed all the rotten plywood and replace it with a fiberglass grid. See my photos.

Cool. Where are those photos Chip?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page