The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.
Back from a long weekend at Watch Hill, NY. What a great time! However after many years of slight leaks running down the port side chain plates the bulkhead is beginning to look a bit weak and the through bolts have actually begun moving upwards. Its time to replace the bulk heads. I know I've seen some photos and commentary on how to replace these and what it will take to make them 100% again. I was hoping someone that has done the work could chime in and/or direct me to the place where I could find the article. Nothing to really worry about right now, but now that the season is coming to an end, I'd like to make this the number one priority for the off season. Thanks in advance!!!!
It's also a good time to remove, inspect and re-seal the chainplates and the exterior frames that they fit through, especially since they have moved inside the deck. Catalina Direct sells replacements. You can also check the deck core for moisture and rot--if there is some, let it dry out and then I would probably tape underside of the opening and inject penetrating epoxy (like Git Rot) into the wood at least to protect from possible seepage around the chainplate.
Dave Bristle Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can). Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
When I restored Pipe Dream I just used the old bulkheads as patterns for the new ones. I got teak veneer marine plywood, not cheap but necessary. Since they just bolt in, it really wasn't a hard job. I did need to fix some rot in the deck around the upper shroud chain plate, but again it wasn't a big deal. The hardest thing actually was coming up with a trim to replace the round nauga stuff. I used 3/8" rope and covered it with black sunbrella to make the new piping and left enough to staple it to the edge where needed for a new trim. Pictures from what I did are here:
Happy to hear you had a great sailing day. When I acquired my boat her main bulkheads as well as the galley bulkhead were in bad shape. So I decided to replace them and the partition between the galley and the dinette. The first problem I ran into was the unavailability of both sides finished 1/2" teak marine ply in my area. But I could get 1/4". So I elected to buy the 1/4" and laminate them up to 1/2" myself. After lamination and cut to shape and size, I made sure to seal all edges with epoxy. Removing the old bulkheads isn't a big deal and is pretty straight forward. Make sure you search well for hidden screws. The main saloon, (salon ?) bulkhead required me to bend it some for removal and bend the new one back in place. All in all, I was happy with the finished project. As stated earlier, just use your old ones for a pattern, including all screw and chainplate bolt holes. Be careful not to over tighten the chainplate bolts. You want them good and snug but without crushing the ply. Pics follow. Best of luck with your project. Bladeswell
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ. The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.