Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bulkhead repalacement question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SJ
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/04/2018 :  08:42:07  Show Profile
Back from a long weekend at Watch Hill, NY. What a great time! However after many years of slight leaks running down the port side chain plates the bulkhead is beginning to look a bit weak and the through bolts have actually begun moving upwards. Its time to replace the bulk heads. I know I've seen some photos and commentary on how to replace these and what it will take to make them 100% again. I was hoping someone that has done the work could chime in and/or direct me to the place where I could find the article. Nothing to really worry about right now, but now that the season is coming to an end, I'd like to make this the number one priority for the off season. Thanks in advance!!!!

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2018 :  09:40:58  Show Profile
Here's one of the several threads that the Search function (above right) found.

It's also a good time to remove, inspect and re-seal the chainplates and the exterior frames that they fit through, especially since they have moved inside the deck. Catalina Direct sells replacements. You can also check the deck core for moisture and rot--if there is some, let it dry out and then I would probably tape underside of the opening and inject penetrating epoxy (like Git Rot) into the wood at least to protect from possible seepage around the chainplate.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2018 :  11:54:16  Show Profile
When I restored Pipe Dream I just used the old bulkheads as patterns for the new ones. I got teak veneer marine plywood, not cheap but necessary. Since they just bolt in, it really wasn't a hard job. I did need to fix some rot in the deck around the upper shroud chain plate, but again it wasn't a big deal. The hardest thing actually was coming up with a trim to replace the round nauga stuff. I used 3/8" rope and covered it with black sunbrella to make the new piping and left enough to staple it to the edge where needed for a new trim. Pictures from what I did are here:

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2018 :  15:15:38  Show Profile
nice

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2018 :  08:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello SJ,

Happy to hear you had a great sailing day. When I acquired my boat her main bulkheads as well as the galley bulkhead were in bad shape. So I decided to replace them and the partition between the galley and the dinette. The first problem I ran into was the unavailability of both sides finished 1/2" teak marine ply in my area. But I could get 1/4". So I elected to buy the 1/4" and laminate them up to 1/2" myself. After lamination and cut to shape and size, I made sure to seal all edges with epoxy.
Removing the old bulkheads isn't a big deal and is pretty straight forward. Make sure you search well for hidden screws. The main saloon, (salon ?) bulkhead required me to bend it some for removal and bend the new one back in place. All in all, I was happy with the finished project. As stated earlier, just use your old ones for a pattern, including all screw and chainplate bolt holes. Be careful not to over tighten the chainplate bolts. You want them good and snug but without crushing the ply. Pics follow. Best of luck with your project. Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

SJ
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2018 :  09:45:03  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the responses! Looks to be a bit easier than I first thought. Will post when the process begins.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page