Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Removing Rolling Furler from C25 TR
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x_HoldFast_x
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/17/2018 :  06:48:16  Show Profile
Hi all,

I have a Catalina 25 Tall Rig. I am prepping the boat to go on the hard for the winter and I need to remove all the sails. This is the first winter I have owned the boat. Do I need to go up the mast to remove the rolling furler? I don't have binos and cannot see how it is secured to the mast. Any special tools required to get the job done right?

Thanks,

x_Hold Fast_x

S/V Shamrock 5
Catalina 25

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2018 :  07:39:36  Show Profile
If your not lowering the mast and only want to remove the sail then unfurl the sail then unclip the sail down by the drum then uncleat the jib halyard and pull down on the sail. It will slide down and out of the groove in the RF extrusion. The swivel that the halyard is attached to will come down also. Unclip the sail from the swivel. No need to remove the RF itself. Leave the swivel in the down position and unclip the halyard from it and reclip it somewhere else like the base of a stanchion.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/17/2018 07:51:45
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2018 :  07:55:11  Show Profile
What make is your furler? If leaving the mast up, just do what Scott says. The furler foil (tube) just stays put. If taking the mast down, and the furler foil is metal (not a plastic CDI), care must be taken to keep the furler foil reasonably straight once the forestay is disconnected from the stem fitting. Since it's longer than the mast, that takes some attention until the mast pretty close to horizontal, at which point you can lash the foil to the mast at enough points to support it before you detach the mast from the step.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

x_HoldFast_x
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2018 :  10:23:15  Show Profile
Thanks Scott and Dave. I am leaving the mast up, so I'll give it a go this weekend.

S/V Shamrock 5
Catalina 25
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2018 :  14:35:41  Show Profile
If you have a CDI furler, you need to tie a messenger line to the halyard before you pull the sail down, so next year you will be able to raise the sail without having to retrieve the halyard, which will get pulled to the top of the furler and won't be reachable.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2018 :  15:51:26  Show Profile
Id like to add that my directions are for a non CDI furler. Also try and do this on a day with none or little wind because you are unfurling the sail. Wrestling a fully inflated sail or one that is vigorously flogging, Not fun.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2018 :  21:07:08  Show Profile
One more caution: When you get the sail down and remove the halyard shackle from it, be careful not to let go of the shackle until you've hooked it on something--otherwise, the weight of the halyard on the other side of the mast, depending on where it's hanging (such as in the cockpit), could pull the shackle back to the top of the mast, which could ruin your whole day (if not now, then next spring). I would attach the shackle to a stanchion base and cleat the other end of the halyard somewhere like the a jib sheet cleat so that both ends wouldn't slap on the mast all winter. Similarly, the main halyard can be shackled to a stanchion base and cleated somewhere like the bow.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

x_HoldFast_x
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2018 :  12:46:43  Show Profile
I believe my fuller is a Hood 700SL, not a CDI. Thanks for the warning, if it was.

S/V Shamrock 5
Catalina 25
Go to Top of Page

x_HoldFast_x
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:10:56  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. This was a quick job and everything went smoothly.

S/V Shamrock 5
Catalina 25
Go to Top of Page

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2018 :  11:04:49  Show Profile
A video is worth a thousand words ;-)

https://youtu.be/hPqbFoAijGY

1984 C25 FK/SR #4593
Lake Champlain

Edited by - blanik on 10/28/2018 11:05:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page