Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 cdi flexible furler 4 -- anyone use it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2018 :  08:48:43  Show Profile
Gary, i have only raised and lowered my mast from the hard on my trailer. You can walk the furler on either side. The boat is high off the ground so the furler stays relatively straight. I then attach the PVC and secure it to the mast.
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

Gary, I detach it from the deck, below the drum, and have someone walk it back toward the stern as the mast is lowered. I try and keep in away from the boat until the mast is secured. I then use the PVC to lash it to the mast.

Thank you Joseph!

Do they walk to one side (like along the dock) or just straight back along the deck?

Do you get the feeling it will get a permanent bend in it easily or does it just get a gentle bow in it until it's secured?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

Edited by - Enchantment II on 09/03/2018 08:50:20
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2018 :  09:25:41  Show Profile
Somebody in this thread mentioned being "cautious before cutting" the luff strip. Well, of course I wasn't and due to a multitude of factors (picking a "too windy" day, bad choice of helpers, etc.) ended up cutting it a foot short for the new Genoa I ordered with the furler. Now I know what CDI is going to tell me: Buy a whole new strip. But having a background in Physics (and none in sailboat rigging -- blush!), I was considering putting the 1' strip I cut off under the rest of the luff strip (below the feeder for the foresail).

Anybody have thoughts on this? I have heard "plastic welding" and "epoxy" but I am wondering if I could end up doing damage to the sail, halyard or (worst case) forestay with a "two-parter"? I'm sure there is a bit of torque when furling, but once the sail is deployed, when the majority of wind force is applied to the stay, seems like the torquing forces will be little if any?

Admitting my impatience (and let's face it stupidity) somehow feels good! Now if I can just confidently make that brand new Genoa fit on my mistake, that will be the icing on the cake, or should I say "whipped cream on poop!"

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2018 :  09:38:46  Show Profile
I'm going to be honest but that sounds like a terrible idea. Good luck

quote:
Originally posted by AlMo

Somebody in this thread mentioned being "cautious before cutting" the luff strip. Well, of course I wasn't and due to a multitude of factors (picking a "too windy" day, bad choice of helpers, etc.) ended up cutting it a foot short for the new Genoa I ordered with the furler. Now I know what CDI is going to tell me: Buy a whole new strip. But having a background in Physics (and none in sailboat rigging -- blush!), I was considering putting the 1' strip I cut off under the rest of the luff strip (below the feeder for the foresail).

Anybody have thoughts on this? I have heard "plastic welding" and "epoxy" but I am wondering if I could end up doing damage to the sail, halyard or (worst case) forestay with a "two-parter"? I'm sure there is a bit of torque when furling, but once the sail is deployed, when the majority of wind force is applied to the stay, seems like the torquing forces will be little if any?

Admitting my impatience (and let's face it stupidity) somehow feels good! Now if I can just confidently make that brand new Genoa fit on my mistake, that will be the icing on the cake, or should I say "whipped cream on poop!"

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2018 :  14:00:33  Show Profile
If you are planning to "repair" it, there is a lot less torque at the top. I don't remember what the cross section looks like, but maybe you could drill holes and use steel pins and epoxy the keep the sections together and square.

It may not be that crazy, a lot of furlers come in sections.

Possibly sell to someone that has a shorter head sail?

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2018 :  17:34:03  Show Profile
Possibly you could put 2 tight fitting SS rods about 8" long driven half way into the sail tape slots, Possibly epoxying them in then drive the shorter 1ft extrusion section on to the 2 protruding Rod's. You want a tight fit. The rods should be enough to handle the rotation torque. Then you could wrap the joint with rigging tape tightly wrapped and extending out 8-10" from the center. I'd be afraid of using any screws or metal that might damage the sail. I don't have a CDI so I'm just going by photos of the extrusion and it looks like there are 2 slots, One forward, One aft. If not then disregard the above.
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2018 :  22:04:06  Show Profile
I ended up successfully following islander's plan with 4 - 4.5" x 3/16" stainless rod drilled (carefully) into the two sections of luff extrusion (CDI confirms the top of the stay will have the least torquing moment). Purple primer was use to mark drill points on the opposing (1') strip, so the rods lined up. Then, pounded the two sections flush after coating with PVC cement, and a quick dremel job to clean up the excess cement from the sail and halyard grooves. I wasn't too concerned with leakage into the stay channel, because the stay itself should take care of removing the excess. The "oops" only shows when the sail is fully out and so far no objectionable (guess de-masting will be in the "objectionable" category ) characteristics while underway!

Thanks again to islander for his suggestions and encouragement!

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK

Edited by - AlMo on 09/08/2018 22:26:51
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2018 :  04:07:11  Show Profile
Your more than welcome and I hope it stands the test of time. At almost $400 for a replacement foil it's worth a shot.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page