Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Looking at a Swing Keel, need advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2018 :  11:04:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

The gray stuff on the keel is probably either barrier coat paint, applied by the owner to protect the cast iron keel from moisture, or fairing material used to smooth the surface of the keel. Neither is a cause for concern. Ask the owner what it is. If you assume it's bad, you might pass up a good boat.

The water in the bilge could be from a leaky cockpit drain or a leaky rudder gudgeon or similar fitting that simply needs caulk, or it could be that the companionway hatch was left ajar during a rain. My solution was to put an 8 X 10 silver tarp over the coach roof whenever I left the boat unattended for a few days. It protected the boat from a multitude of possible leaks and kept my bilge dry.

The gray putty is on the fiberglas trunk, not the keel itself. In my uneducated amateur opinion, any water left in the hull is a bad sign no matter where it came from. Yes, the hull is fiberglas but there are wooden stringers in there that will rot away. I've seen too many times where the wood has swelled, cracked the matting around it and then nature takes over.
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2018 :  05:55:47  Show Profile
quote:
standing water in the bilge so I think I'm going to pass on this one.

As others mentioned the water in the bilge can have many sources. One thing Catalina's are known for is leaky windows/ports. When I purchased my 1987 C25 all of the cabin top windows leaked. A few attempts at sealing them only lasted for a short time. The only real solution for me was total replacement of the windows.

Here is the thread on that:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23031

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2018 :  14:40:24  Show Profile
Looks like the same stuff. The only way to tell for sure would be to chip it off and make sure there isn't a repair under there.
The trunk looks like its been sanded in the past. You can see bits of the grey stuff left stuck to it. That's about what mine looked like before I started the rebuild work. If you look real close, you can see the circles from the ridges in the heavy cloth having been sanded down. Looks too clean to have been factory, but maybe one of the fellows with that layout will chime in.

Either way, the keel trunk would be real easy to wrap with some extra layers of cloth. It wouldn't sway me from buying, but I don't mind getting into structural repairs.

As the other guys have said, the old aluminum frame windows pretty much leak no matter what you do. If this thing has been on a trailer for a while, the bilge water is more than likely from a window or some other deck leak.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2018 :  16:22:13  Show Profile
I haven't read all the responses to this thread, so my comments may be out of line, or repetitive, so forgive me.
My advice on buying a swing keel 25 foot sailboat is simple:
DON'T DO IT.
I know, there are many who have, but I had a Catalina 22. A swing keel is more trouble than it's worth. If you must trailer the boat, get a wing keel.
As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2018 :  15:24:34  Show Profile
I love my swing keel!

Just saying.....

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  19:22:23  Show Profile
We plan to sell our boat after we repair a few gelcoat nicks. She is 1987 C25 wing keel with trailer, 9.9 Tohatsu electric start motor, full batten main, 135 hank on jib, single burner Origo stove, and lots more extras. Boat is in AZ under a full boat cover on the hard at Lake Pleasant, and we are in CA and return to AZ in Nov. We will put it on Phoenix Craigslist and this site for sale.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page