Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Samson MLX3 or New England Ropes Sta-set X

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JB Posted - 03/01/2022 : 09:12:44
I'm replacing my halyards and I'm a cruiser not a racer so I don't need the very lowest stretch line. I have no idea what I have now, it's what ever Catalina supplied.

Anyone with experience with either Samson MLX3 or New England Ropes Sta-set X. How well does it hold up in the elements, does it get stiff? How well does it knot? I tie the shackle on with a bowline.

I used to have low stretch lines on another boat and it was too stiff
to knot and wouldn't coil well.

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 03/12/2022 : 15:49:32
Curious -- what does Catalina Direct suggest/offer? They have complete kits.
redeye Posted - 03/04/2022 : 10:40:50
I use staset and its been fine for like 80 cents a foot.

Others have said don't use a snap shackle and I kinda agree although it's done and I keep a bass lure onboard to retrieve the halyard if it gets off. so far that has not happened but Im not recommending the snap.

I'd like to go to soft shackles. I've been making some trying to get my skill level up... maybe this year.......

Steve Milby Posted - 03/04/2022 : 08:40:37
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Then there’s this from Defender.

The Novabraid XLE looks like a good buy. At 90' it's too long for most C25 jib halyards, but you can cut it as needed, whip the end and have a short line left over for a myriad of uses.
Voyager Posted - 03/04/2022 : 07:59:12
Then there’s this from Defender.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/03/2022 : 19:46:19
I haven't seen specs for the reduction of strength from knots for different cordage, but I suspect Sta-Set X might lose a little and be be a little less suitable for knots due to the lower-stretch core. For your usage, I would think Sta-Set will do just fine. If you have a furler where the swivel is held all season by the jib halyard, I might suggest Sta-Set X for longer term stability.

Knowing you have an '89 eliminates the requirement to replace mast-head sheaves used for wire halyards, although after all these years it would be worthwhile to take a look at the sheaves--the originals are plastic, and they're obviously in a lot of sun. Folks (like me) have found them to be damaged and fragile.
Voyager Posted - 03/03/2022 : 13:51:05
What knots do you need? To connect your halyard shackle to the halyard? A figure eight knot as a stopper knot for the bitter end?
I don’t use fancy splices for my halyards. I tied my shackles on with a bowline and I whipped down the “tail” with some twine. Might not be totally YAR, but it’s worked for several years.
JB Posted - 03/03/2022 : 08:10:37
I was primarily interested in the halyards. Sta-set is cheap and my experience with it has been good. Sta-set X is more expensive but has less stretch. If that's was all there was to it, I'd go with sta-set x. But I don't know how it handles (hockles, stiffness) or its knot tying qualities. I know it needs special splicing techniques.

I've got a 89 Catalina 25 Wing keel standard rig and 2004ish Catalina 250 Wing keel standard rig with diesel sail drive.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:45:27
(As is often the case, knowing the model and vintage of the boat is useful here, so many of us put that in our "signature" in our profile.)

The original halyards on most C-25s were wire-to-rope. Changing from that to all rope (as many do) requires changing the mast-head sheaves. Catalina Direct has all of what you'd need. The C-250 is different--all of its lines are all-rope.

I had a roller furler, so my jib halyard stayed cleated all season, suggesting good low-stretch rope. To switch to all-rope halyards, I went with CD's Krypton lines. The jib halyard stayed board-tight all season. (I wasn't concerned about the main halyard.)

If I had gotten around to changing my sheets, I would have used New England Ropes "Regatta" single braid for nice handling, easy coiling, and less tangling (or hockling)--it's very flexible, soft, and slightly "nubby". A friend of mine has it.
Voyager Posted - 03/01/2022 : 20:09:23
Hi JB, do you also plan to change your sheets? Main sheet, jib sheets? For halyards I like New England Ropes’ Sta-Set lines. Mainsheet, the same. You may want a more grippable line for your jib sheets.
bigelowp Posted - 03/01/2022 : 09:30:17
Others here are well versed on the specific differences between ropes, types, and manufactures. You also can reach out to suppliers like Catalina Direct, who sell, I believe, halyards for all things Catalina or Cajun Ropes in Canada that does the same. In the case of Cajun the pricing is attractive thanks to the conversion rate between the US vs CN dollar.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page