Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Suggestion for new sails

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cudamank Posted - 06/26/2019 : 14:24:14
I would like to replace my Main and jib this season. Both are functional, but the main is pretty blown out and the jib has had repairs.

Looking for recommendations.

I see Catalina Direct has them both for a little over $1000 each and I believe they are made by Ullman.

I only sail on my local lake, but would like to do some San Francisco Bay, and coastal sailing in the upcoming years. Novice when it comes to sail so unsure if I would need any of the upgrades such as adding another reef point, or full battens.

Catalina 25, SR FK, Main has rope foot, and the jib is a hank on.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grato Posted - 07/27/2019 : 15:16:17
there is another current thread with some additional info..
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31602
bigelowp Posted - 06/29/2019 : 20:48:46
Fully agree with Dave's comments. Gary is very familiar with our boats and if you discuss you ability, sailing environment and location he typically is spot on with good recommendations. And . . . . his pricing is very competetive.
Stinkpotter Posted - 06/29/2019 : 07:49:45
A number of people here have bought sails from Ulman Ventura, working with Gary Swenson there. I think that's who makes them for CD. You can describe your interests to him and get some excellent suggestions--cloth is another variable worth discussing.

Two reefs might be useful, but involves twice the rigging to be ready for action. You might discuss with him a single somewhat deeper reef. He may or may not recommend a loose foot, depending on your interests.

Roller furling, to me, changes your life! No more folding and bagging, hanking on to go out, dealing with dousing or changing sails on the foredeck in an unexpected blow,... As I've said many times here, we enjoyed "sailing to nowhere" on our 130% genoa alone, especially in blustery, gusty conditions. Gusts in the 20s would barely heel the boat, and we often were making over 5 knots going through Long Island Sound chop. Best of all, to start sailing we'd just pull on a sheet to deploy the genny, and when we were done we'd pull on the furling line to completely "put it away". Done! The only downside, significant to serious racers, is that the sail can't be a "deck sweeper" for maximum power. But nowadays, even the Americas Cup boats and maxi racers use rollers. You can thank us later...
Lee Panza Posted - 06/28/2019 : 22:46:21
On central SF Bay in mid-summer we usually see afternoon winds in the mid 20's gusting well into the 30's (occasionally even low 40's). Even a 110 might be too much; on a beam reach it's definitely going to be furled way down. I can't sail this relatively light Cat25 very close to the wind because pounding into the steep, short chop is brutal on boat speed. Therefore, it's impossible to take advantage of the optimal shape of a fully-unfurled headsail unless its pretty small. When I had a new working jib made I had it cut to about 95%, and even at that the boat becomes over-powered on a beam reach unless I furl it some.

Along with the relatively small jib I usually leave the first reef in the main most of the time during Summer. I've only used the 2nd reef (it's pretty deep) a couple of times, and it was more for convenience than necessity (my girlfriend really doesn't like it when the boat heels a lot). But I'm glad it's there. For the little incremental cost I wouldn't buy a mainsail without a second reef; while I agree with you in principle, Steve, you just never know when you'll get caught in unanticipated conditions.

Davy J Posted - 06/28/2019 : 03:52:45
Unless you are a hard core racer, this is probably the best option:

https://www.sailrite.com/CDI-Furler-Flexible-FF4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6MWLnYCM4wIV8o5bCh0r5whyEAQYASABEgIGUfD_BwE

Fairly easy to install, free's up the jib halyard, can be left in place while raising or lowering the mast.

Edited to: add get the ball bearing option

https://www.sailrite.com/CDI-Furler-Flexible-FF4-With-Ball-Bearings

cudamank Posted - 06/27/2019 : 14:21:54
Thank you for the information. I would like to consider a roller fuller. Guess I need to do more research.
dasreboot Posted - 06/27/2019 : 11:10:10
I had a rolly tasker main that was new. It was good, and much better than the 30 year old main that it replaced. It was in turn replaced by a brand new ulmann that i got cheap off ebay. full battens and loose footed. Its a much better sail that the roly tasker. Just more expensive when new. Its hard to judge any performance differences, but its a much better built sail. When I received it, there was one reef point I took it to ulmann annapolis and had them put another one in for about $100. Having a tall rig, I like to have 2 reefs.
Davy J Posted - 06/27/2019 : 11:07:54
I'll just add that if your are going to bite the bullet, you might consider going to roller furling with a 135. That way, when you eventually sail the windier venues you can also reef the headsail.

Also, IMHO, Loose footed main is the way to go. With a properly set-up outhaul, you can do all sorts of fine tuning.

When I replaced the sails on my C25, I purchased them from North Sails Direct. They don't seem to offer that service any longer. That was something like ten years ago though..........

One more thing, ....... Nothing, like christmas, to a grown man, is hoisting brand new sails........

islander Posted - 06/27/2019 : 08:25:52
If you can wait till fall you can usually get discounts on sails
Steve Milby Posted - 06/27/2019 : 07:59:20
Most people want a loose-footed mainsail with a single reef, full battens on top two and the rest partial battens. A Cunningham cringle is nice if you'll use it.

IMO, the C25 is not intended to be sailed in unsheltered waters in conditions that would require a second reef, but if you insist on doing so, then you should have a second reef and probably a #4 or 5 jib. (It's perfectly ok to sail in unsheltered waters, but watch your weather carefully and head for sheltered waters at the first sign of trouble. In severe weather, it's the waves that create the greatest risk to small boats, not the wind.)

If you intend to race, you'll probably want a 155% genoa. If not, a 135% jib is a nice general-purpose sail. I hear SF Bay is very windy and a 110% jib might be needed.

Discuss with your sailmaker how and where you plan to use your sails, and ask for his recommendations.

If you will only need a smaller sail for occasional use on SF Bay, you might look on our Swap Meet for one from time-to-time. Occasionally you'll find an exceptionally good deal.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page