Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spreader seizing wire question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
john.adlam Posted - 08/07/2019 : 11:28:55
Can anyone help with a photo or some instructions on how the stainless steel seizing wire is wrapped around the upper shrouds/spreader end cap?

This new to me boat came with the upper shrouds completely disconnected from the spreaders. I'm replacing all standing rigging and wondering if there is a right way to do it rather than just wrapping the wire around the shroud and end cap/spreader a bunch of times.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
islander Posted - 08/09/2019 : 05:57:03
quote:
How tightly the spreader needs to be secured to the shroud may depend in part of the weight of the largest waterfowl likely to land on it.

Leon Sisson Posted - 08/08/2019 : 17:48:37
The spreader should bisect the angle formed by the upper shroud at the spreader tip.  Any deviation from that angle will tend to force the spreader farther in the direction of the larger angle.  Any such movement will reduce shroud tension (while putting additional strain on spreader and socket). 

How tightly the spreader needs to be secured to the shroud may depend in part of the weight of the largest waterfowl likely to land on it.

Stinkpotter Posted - 08/08/2019 : 13:31:35
I’ll defer to CD. But to Steve’s point, if a spreader slides down, that shroud will lose some tension. My seizing wire didn’t prevent that—it just added some friction. I recall using a boat hook a few times to adjust one. So maybe it wasn’t that effective.
islander Posted - 08/08/2019 : 03:59:23
I got that information from CD when I called them to order all my new standing rigging. They told me how to do it. They said you don't want the spreader constantly moving up and down causing wear and possibly breaking the sockets or wear on the spreader. Made sense to me. They also said that the purpose of the seizing wire is to keep the shroud in the cap slot. It's not meant to support the spreader.
Steve Milby Posted - 08/07/2019 : 20:35:00
If we're taking votes, which we do often here, I vote with Scott. I don't know of any particular positioning of the spreaders that is recommended, but common sense tells me that they should be symmetrical. If they're loose, they aren't going to self-adjust upwards. They'll only adjust downward. Moreover, I don't know that the precise angle is critical. My instincts tell me that by leaving them slightly loose, they'll settle into a position that is symmetrical and structurally sound.

If you wire them tightly, one might loosen in time, and the other might not. Then one will sag and the other won't, leaving them asymmetrical. It makes sense to leave them the latitude to self-adjust.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/07/2019 : 19:59:45
Not sure I agree with Scott... I wrapped the wire a couple of turns around the shroud, not loosely, to add some friction to minimize the movement of the spreader tip up or down. I think I got that from a rigger... It's important to maintain the spreader angle in order to stabilize the shroud tension. Each time you tack, you want the spreaders to end up holding the shrouds at the same angle as they were before--not sliding up and down.
john.adlam Posted - 08/07/2019 : 14:07:01
quote:
Originally posted by islander

There is a right way. The seizing wire gets routed through the spreader first through the two holes on the top and bottom of the spreader then the two tails get wrapped around the shroud wire. This wrap has to be loose so the shroud can slide through the seizing wire so it doesn't pull the spreader up or down when you tack. I layed a toothpick along side the shroud then wrapped the seizing wire around the shroud and the toothpick. After just remove the toothpick and the loop of seizing wire is perfect.Here is a diagram of how it all goes.

Thank you very much for the clear instructions on how to do this Scott! Much appreciated!
islander Posted - 08/07/2019 : 12:48:24
There is a right way. The seizing wire gets routed through the spreader first through the two holes on the top and bottom of the spreader then the two tails get wrapped around the shroud wire. This wrap has to be loose so the shroud can slide through the seizing wire so it doesn't pull the spreader up or down when you tack. I layed a toothpick along side the shroud then wrapped the seizing wire around the shroud and the toothpick. After just remove the toothpick and the loop of seizing wire is perfect.Here is a diagram of how it all goes.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page