Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 C25 Forum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanS48 Posted - 10/08/2020 : 06:27:08
Greetings all
Are all the posts gone? I'm only seeing one when I log in.
Thanks
Jan
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 10/12/2020 : 07:37:40
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

Thank You for all your work.

I 2nd Ray’s sentiment.

As I said in my post on the other thread (paraphrasing), we’re all still here and we can re-post the important topics if we like.

I just need some help recalling all the topics:
• Dreaded turning ball
• Raising a boat off the trailer without a travel lift
• Long haul trailering across the country
• Replacing the head
• Adding hand holds to the cabin
• New interior cushions from Catalina Yachts
• Outboard motor sound and spark plug failure
• Lake Lanier windstorm
• Extending the settee to allow for more comfortable sleep
• Rewiring the mast connector on the cabintop.
To name a few ...

If others had their favorites, please add to the list.
redeye Posted - 10/12/2020 : 05:10:32
What are the 5 stages of Grief..... I only remember the bourbon stage. It pretty much goes black after that. Might have to rebuild my database....

Thank You for all your work. I hate database work ( or maybe working with the other people that are supposto be doing database work )
Commodore Posted - 10/11/2020 : 18:25:27
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

Russ: it won't retrieve our lost data, but we should - at the very LEAST - get a refund of 30% of the cost of web-hosting service.

Lee,
That would be about $100.
I would gladly pay double that myself.
Russ
Lee Panza Posted - 10/11/2020 : 18:00:39
Russ: it won't retrieve our lost data, but we should - at the very LEAST - get a refund of 30% of the cost of web-hosting service.
Commodore Posted - 10/11/2020 : 14:53:23
Hey guys,

These are all good questions.
Here are some clarifications from my other post.
You can post comments there.
Association Forum - Crash and Data Loss Oct-6
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31937

We have weekly backups of the forum database.
The problem is, every week the website company was backing up the same file from Jun-17.
There are several copies of the Jun-17 database file.

The notice we received:
The website was moving to a new server.
There is a new website admin tool call "Plesk".
There is nothing needed on your part to complete the migration.

What was not in the notice.
Moving the website also means copying the database to a new server.
They didn't communicate there was two copies of the database running at the same time.
They didn't communicate we needed to manually disconnect from the old database server and connect to the new database server.
They didn't communicate they were shutting down the old database server.

It is standard practice to keep websites and databases on separate servers.
That was the configuration before and the configuration now.
The notice only mentions the website and there is no mention of the database.

Next, it is common to connect to a database by either the server name or IP address.
We are using the server name. In the Plesk tool, it only displays the IP address.
When "moving" a database to a new server, IT "usually" updates the server name to point to the new IP address.
This is a database alias, which they didn't update or communicate they were not going to update.

I've been through many IT projects in my career, but this company didn't follow standard practices.
Examples:
When two copies of the same database are running, check if anyone is connected to the old database.
Update the database alias to the new IP address.
Before shutting down a database, make it unavailable. Change the connection string, change the database name, change the password, anyone one of those will do.
Before unplugging a server, stop the services. In this case stop the MySQL database service.
Once you follow any of those steps, you let the machine run for a few days.
In our case, 3-months.
The website company didn't do any of those things.
They copied the database to a new server in June, they didn't check anything, they shutdown and unplugged the machine on the same day.

Using the Plesk admin tool:
You could see the database backups, it was not clear this was the database copy from Jun-17.
You could see the database was running, it was not clear this was the database copy from Jun-17.
You could run queries and see forum data, it was not clear this was data from Jun-17.

In hindsight, had we spent more time using the Plesk admin tool, we could have run queries to see the most recent forum post or see the most recent forum user.
Then determine new data was not being added to the new database (had we known there was a new database).
Since the forum was running well, this about of troubleshooting was not considered.

Thank you for your comments.
I'm going through the 5-stages of grief.
I may be upset, but not at you or the forum users.
Thank you for your understanding.
Voyager Posted - 10/11/2020 : 13:24:13
Not for nothing, how large is the database? I’m guessing with photos and some 20@+ years of archives it would far exceed the 2GB I get for free from Google or MS Office.
Steve Milby Posted - 10/10/2020 : 19:50:51
To prevent future losses, can the website data be backed up regularly?
Lee Panza Posted - 10/10/2020 : 18:36:59
Russ:

The information that we generate in this forum is of value to future boatowners, and losing it amounts to the forum having been non-existent during that black-out. At the very least, the hosting service should credit the Association with the fees charged during that period of time. It equates to nearly 30% of a year's worth of this forum's primary expense.

Commodore Posted - 10/08/2020 : 22:56:02
On Tuesday, Oct-6 the forum crashed.
While the website itself was available, the forum application could not connect to the database.
Meaning, the forum was down and users received an error messages when trying to access the forum.

After working with the website hosting company, there has been an unrecoverable data loss.
All forum data from Jun-17 to Oct-6 has been permanently lost.

For more details, please review this post. You can also post comments there.
Association Forum - Crash and Data Loss Oct-6
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31937

We are truly sorry for this situation.
Russ Johnson
Commodore
sethp001 Posted - 10/08/2020 : 20:16:59
There were some issues with the forum migration to new equipment and with the data backup by our website hosting company. Posts from June 17 to October 6 are permanently gone. Everything else is still there. To see the most recent previous topics, change the dropbox at the bottom of the list from "the last 30 days" to a longer time frame.
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/08/2020 : 20:14:38
...and new posts are slower to take than ever.
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/08/2020 : 20:12:52
Apparently everything from mid-June to today is gone.
redeye Posted - 10/08/2020 : 08:01:50
I think they had a server crash or some such so they had a restart. I imagine someone is trying to get the olds posts back up even as we speak.

We may be starting a new, which is also fun.

I kinda posted and deleted a post this morning just for the fun and to give them something to look at. how it might be working now.
Davy J Posted - 10/08/2020 : 08:01:45
Looking at the sub-forums, it appears the threads from about mid June to now are missing. Even searching for some threads that I know I participated in, do not show up.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page