Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 C25s heavier than advertised?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AUAE Posted - 10/14/2020 : 09:40:13
There was a thread regarding C25 weight vs. trailer capacity that I think was lost in the server crash. I don't remember the original question exactly, but the takeaway for me was that C25s, especially in the later years, are significantly heavier than the displacement stated in the manual. I weighed mine at a truck stop (I had already weighed the trailer by itself) and the result for the boat was 5360 lbs (not including rudder and genoa sail). The boat and trailer weigh 6820 lbs.

I don't have much weight from extra stuff currently - mostly just 113 lbs of outboard motor - so is the extra weight just due to design changes over the years? Regardless, it was important to know that I'm much closer to trailer capacity than I thought.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/15/2020 : 20:57:03
Sometimes it’s called “dry weight”... meaning no motor, gas tank, sails, running rigging, instruments, optional furniture, galley equipment, head, curtains, blinds, cushions (inside or out), batteries, anchors & rodes, bottom paint, or anything else that is not totally standard direct from the builder.

The good news is your C25 is more robust than you thought! Many have pointed out that this is a boat for a serious tow vehicle—wheelbase as well as GVR capacity—and good brakes on the trailer.
AUAE Posted - 10/14/2020 : 12:03:47
It's a 1000 lb difference though. Looking on the Manuals and Brochures page, the "Design weight" for wing keel on the 1988 brochure is 4400 lbs.
Steve Milby Posted - 10/14/2020 : 10:47:20
I think you have to consider the advertised weight as an approximation. I suspect the weight of a C25 could vary by 100 lbs or so depending on how much resin or fabric or gelcoat was used. While that's fairly consistent, it could vary from boat to boat. Also, many options were offered with C25s. Stoves were optional, extra drawers and storage doors were optional, A vanity and sink were optional, shore power, boom vangs and porta potties or plumbed heads were optional. Even sails were optional. (I bought mine without sails and ordered a set of sails from North.) I'm sure all those options were not included in the advertised weight of the boat. IIRC, there were about two typewritten pages of options available, including colors of hull and deck and stripes. Moreover, the choice of keels caused the weight to vary.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page