Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Think this could work for doing the upgrade?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
doublereefed Posted - 07/25/2021 : 17:44:49
Do you think this could work (see the YouTube link below) for replacing that turning block assembly? I would have to cut that pin out but I'm thinking I will use a jig saw. Drill a hole in the ball shaped turning ball, stick the drill in it so it won't spin, and then use a jig saw right down the middle.

After that is out would have to get into the boat to insert the new turning block assembly, probably in and out a few times to make sure i like the placement, then drill that retaining pin. I ordered the lifting pennant block as well, can inspect the existing and replace if necessary.

Then reeve the line.

My only alternative is to build two large racks, think very big sawhorses, and pay for a crane to lift on and off.

Thoughts from you seasoned C250 maintenance experts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz6zcdeeuj4
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve Milby Posted - 07/29/2021 : 04:21:18
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

Cool video, thanks! I didn't know that was possible. They made it look easy but I'm sure they have some practice.

You have to wonder what motivated them to do that. Maybe cheaper slip fees on the other side of the bridge?
Robb Posted - 07/29/2021 : 00:01:54
Cool video, thanks! I didn't know that was possible. They made it look easy but I'm sure they have some practice.
Steve Milby Posted - 07/28/2021 : 10:36:07
I'm not recommending careening the boat. There's obviously risk that a mast stay or chainplate might fail, but if your boat has a weakness in the rigging that would break when careened, it could just as readily fail in a strong gust under sail. Nevertheless, this discussion reminded me of a video that illustrates the fact that you can hang a huge load from the top of a well maintained mast, and careen the boat. Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufmT5TbRx1g
Steve Milby Posted - 07/28/2021 : 09:31:39
Do you have a trailer? I painted the bottom of a C22 by jacking up the complete boat and trailer. Then I built a wood cradle under it and lowered the whole rig. The boat rested on the cradle and the trailer was lowered to the ground.

Is your boat at a marina that has a travelift or other means of hoisting a boat out of the water? Many marinas with a travelift will hoist your boat out of the water and leave it hanging in the straps for an hour to let you make a quick repair. They call it a short hoist, and charge less for it than a normal haul out.
doublereefed Posted - 07/28/2021 : 08:34:09
Yes, I think caution should rule the decision. I also would like to inspect the keel pivot, might even do some touch up bottom paint. So... sawhorses it is. Thanks for the feedback.
Voyager Posted - 07/28/2021 : 04:40:05
I don’t have a swing keel but I’ll relate a quick story about my experience trying to tip my C25. I needed to change my anchor light and tighten up my wind vane. I didn’t want to drop the mast because, well, it’s a pain in the neck, frankly. In my harbor we have a floating dock with a big ramp that goes up to an upper deck. At dead low tide, the deck is about 7 feet below the top of the mast. I reasoned that if I could tip the boat by about 25° over, I could easily reach the mast top from the upper deck and do the repairs.
So I rigged the boat with fenders along the dock, asked two big guys to sit on the gunewale and started pulling on a looped line I ran up the mast using the halyard. I pulled as hard as I could and I had zero luck tipping the boat any more than about 5-8° according to my tip-o-meter. If I had three guys pulling on the mast, I still think it would be nearly impossible to get the boat to tip.
Now this is with a 1700 pound keel so it’s pretty heavy. If you beach your boat and the keel is retracted, that’s another set of variables. Nonetheless, the C25/250s are a MUCH heavier boat than a large dinghy…
Robb Posted - 07/27/2021 : 22:52:04
I'll weigh in here. Being a safety guy, I was a little concerned that the helpers in the video were essentially under a boat that could tip back up if a rope released or a component on the mast/rigging failed. I also note that the boat in the video appears to be a 20 footer (not sure of the manufacturer) and its likely substantially lighter than your 250. Even in WB form, the 250 is a pretty heavy boat. If it were me, I'd go the crane/stand route, as a mishap could cause a lot of damage to your boat - or worse - you. You may be able to pull off the careen but do you want to risk it?
Steve Milby Posted - 07/27/2021 : 10:08:08
I haven't owned a C250 and don't know what you need to do to replace the lifting gear, but a properly maintained sailboat can be careened. If you sail a boat with too much sail area in too much wind, it will heel over until the mast is at least parallel to the water. I did just that several times with my C25. If the rig is tuned properly, the mast is in column and the stays have their full strength, then it shouldn't hurt the boat to attach a line to the top of the mast and pull on it enough to careen the boat.
doublereefed Posted - 07/27/2021 : 09:09:44
(cue sound: wind whistling through the trees, the sound of crickets...) Sounds like I should probably build those beefy sawhorses...

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page