Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Simple No-Drill Bimini installation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
csmcg Posted - 12/27/2021 : 18:54:42
Hello Everyone,

I know that the whole bimini thing has been done to death, but on the chance that I might introduce something useful to the conversation, here goes...

Linked are a couple of images of spring 2021 bimini install on our 2000 250WK #487 "Danu".
No-Drill Bimini

I used a couple of the open jawed stainless 1" clamps that Henk recently found and posted about: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQXCQ57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted two 100w solar panels. There is room to use larger panels but with these panels, the bimini folds up as-is and is stowable in the cabin for winter without much hassle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDK1KPF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All cuts (backstay) and holes (solar panel mounting points) were made with a soldering iron.

The seam for the backstay is closed with industrial velcro. The adhesive did not last so I need to come up with a better solution.

The bimini is a cheap version, but had surprisingly reasonable quality and was easy to work with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMLTB6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the back, I used a couple of cargo straps connecting the rear of the bimini to the catbird seat aft rails.

The front of the bimini uses the included straps. They are hooked to the same eye used for the forward connection of the cockpit lifelines. They are easily disconnected temporarily to make room for loading/unloading.

The bimini weathered several fairly strong thunderstorms on the mooring and survived without issue. So far, so good.

Regards, Chris

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DelilahII Posted - 01/20/2022 : 15:30:16
This is very similar to the design of the bimini that came with our boat, custom made by a shop in the puget sound. The seam for the backstay on ours is a typical vislon zipper in a large size.

I'd love any ideas for changes (or different designs) that would be better for trailer-sailing. It takes us longer to get the bimini assembled and set up than it does to raise the mast. Wrestling the bimini out of the cabin, or working around the bimini frame while it is stowed in the cabin, is also a huge hassle.
csmcg Posted - 01/07/2022 : 12:04:43
quote:
Originally posted by RPLieser

What's the stand-up headroom?

I'm not sure but the forward edge of the bimini _just_ fits under the clew of the boom.

I will measure when it is set up next.

Regards, Chris
RPLieser Posted - 12/30/2021 : 17:38:47
What's the stand-up headroom?
zeil Posted - 12/30/2021 : 17:17:48
Love the simple installation, looks and serviceability especially the fact that NO holes need to be drilled... it is a great out-of-the-way platform for solar panels

Unfortunately the bimini tops are presently unavailable

csmcg Posted - 12/27/2021 : 22:02:47
Thanks Steve. The fabric on the bimini is probably within reach of the sewing machine that we have. I will give the zipper plan a try.

Regards, Chris.
Steve Milby Posted - 12/27/2021 : 20:56:03
Very nice!

I've tried adhesive backed velcro for applications inside and outside the boat, and the velcro grips so tightly that it pulls the adhesive off whatever it's stuck to. You could sew velcro to the fabric, but when used outside, velcro deteriorates in 2-3 years of sun exposure and needs to be replaced. Don't try to sew on adhesive-backed velcro. The adhesive gums up the sewing machine needle.

IMO the best solution would be to install a lapped zipper. The zipper on your trousers is a lapped zipper. The fabric cover not only looks nicer than a bare zipper, but it also protects it from the sun.

If you don't have a sewing machine yet, you should consider one for simple boat canvas projects. I have a light weight machine and a heavy duty Sailrite machine, but use the light weight machine the most by far. My light weight machine is a Brother CS 6000. It's easy to use and has a system that helps thread the needle. Once you learn to use it, you'll also find it handy for mending clothes occasionally and sewing on buttons.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page